what should i buy, glock or springfield or other??

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by seanjonsean, Jan 21, 2009.

1. seanjonsean

seanjonsean New Member

im going to buy another handgun but not sure what to buy glocks seem very popular and ive heard lots of sprigfields are great , or should i buy another smith, a month ago i bought a 9mm sigma it rocks but was thinking of getting a 40 cal what u guys think, id like a dependable fun to use for target and home defense gun...
  2. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

Always a tricky question, do you have a range nearby where you could rent some and try them out? It's such a personal thing, choosing a handgun. I've purchased based on just holding them in the store and I've been lucky!
  3. seanjonsean

seanjonsean New Member

hmm ill look into that , i thought if glocks are good enough for our city police that might do for me ...
  4. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

Well, it's no question that all the guns you listed are good choices. Isn't it just fun to get to try them out? Glocks are great, but they don't fit my hand (I have smaller hands), the Springfield I tried out a couple of times was nice too. My personal gun is a Smith & Wesson made Walther PPK/S .380ACP, but it had a bit of an issue and went back to the factory for warranty work.
  5. DEADEYE1964

DEADEYE1964 New Member

I agree, go rent a couple because the size of your hand will depend on how it feels in your hand. I bought a Springfield .45 acp and I love it. I went and bought a new Springfield XDM 9mm and love it more. I would have never bought these guns if I had not tried them first, I almost bought something else and I would have regreted it.
  6. 21bravo

21bravo New Member

i too suffer from smaller hands, like pinecone. the only problem is im a guy!! there are few glocks that i like because there are few that fit my hands...suprisingly the 17 (full size) fits my hand. i also like the feel of the 19 and 23... id like to have a glock .45acp...but the 21 is too big. i do own a springfield xd though. its a service (4" barrel) model .357 sig.. i absolutely love it! but like was stated in an earlier post..go with what YOU like.:) ...let us know what go with and post some pics..
  7. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

Fun to use kind of rules out my choice but I vote for the Kahr PM40. I shot mine today for a while and, besides the recoil, the weapon makes an excellent carry gun. I had been carrying a Taurus PT-145 in my truck and Kel-Tec P3AT on my person but I think the little Kahr can do double-duty.
  8. glocknut

glocknut New Member

If you want a good 40 go with either an Xd40 or a Ruger. But if you do decide to go with a 40 caliber Glock then get the factory compensated model. I have a 9mm Glock that is the 19c which is factory comped and it shoots like a 22 pistol even with the hot rounds. I love it!!!!!!

The only reason i don't like the Glocks in 40 and 357sig are because of the unsupported chamber in those calibers. If you stuck with factory loaded rounds you'd be ok but i would never run a hot round in those 40 glocks. And i like hot rounds.... :D

mike
    gn
  9. seanjonsean

seanjonsean New Member

well id also like a gun that hold alot of ammo and can shoot whatever u feed it , and as soon as i held the sigma i luv the way it felt in my hand , i did see a taurus for $380 wich seemed to be awesome price but felt it was too bulky ....
  10. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

others may not agree but if you want a plastic gun go with the glock or the springfield. stay away from the sigma , in my opinion it's not in the same class as the other 2 popular choices i listed.
  11. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

oh and personal opinion aside , you can't go wrong with a ruger. now there are others but the price range goes up on the sig's and h&k's that would meet your requirements.
  12. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

13. right winger

right winger New Member

This is some very good advice.
    I own a Glock. but I have big hands.
  14. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

I don't own any of the above but if I were to buy one it would be a Springfield XD in 45 acp as I have fondled them in the gun store and like the feel. That is a totally unbiased opinion from someone that knows nothing about the subject so take it for whats it's worth.
  15. combatvampire

combatvampire New Member

I have owned both glock and xd, but my favorite is the S&W M&P. thought is felt,shoot,and looked better. IMO The only advantage of the glock is cheap parts.