What should the army's new .45 be?

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by dirtyharry, Jun 23, 2005.

1. dirtyharry

dirtyharry New Member

After hearing about the army's decision to return to .45 and not the 1911, what do you think they should adopt?
    Personally, a gun like the HK USP .45 would be a great choice but due to its price and also the fact that they're already giving germany enough money for the XM8, i don't think its really an option...what do you guys think
  2. llama.45

llama.45 New Member

3. mtnboomer

mtnboomer New Member

Oklahoma by birth. America by the grace of God.
  4. Carl S

Carl S New Member

Aonother vote for Ruger , either of the .45's.
  5. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

I say go back to what was proven to work for 94 years. The good ole JMB 1911A1! Has never let us down.
  6. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

Amen to that. :D :D :D
  7. Ruger.44

Ruger.44 New Member

H&K USP Tactical in .45GAP.

Though, this change will inherently create a logistical problem when doing joint NATO or UN ops, since all other allied units use 9MM PARA, which is why we switched in the first place. :confused:
  8. JohnK3

JohnK3 New Member

Time to tell NATO that the new official pistol caliber round is 11.43 x 23 mm, aka ".45 Auto."
  9. Vom Kriege

Vom Kriege New Member

Either the S&W 4506 or any of the Rugers would be fine with me. Ruger does need to work the bugs out of the P345 in a hurry though.
  10. berto64

berto64 Active Member

I believe it should be a domestic product, not an import.

1911A1! (naturally)

Why was the 1911 precluded before any tests have been conducted? They can be made with polymer lowers just like the imports.

My SA LW 1911A1 was a very accurate and reliable weapon, until a druggy stole it while I was in the hospital.

I'm just waiting until he gets out of jail on drug charges.
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2005
  11. JohnK3

JohnK3 New Member

If they really want a DAO and increased capacity, why not a Para-Ordnance hi-cap with LDA?

Personally, I think the original 1911A1 design is safe enough for use by our troops. Safety isn't just a feature on a gun, it's mainly a feature of the operator. Train the troops in the correct procedures and you'll find it's more than safe enough for them to carry.

I read about the new policy of issuing firearms earlier in the training cycle, in order to familiarize troops with what it takes to live with a weapon all the time. This same methodology could be put to good use teaching troops how to carry a 1911A1 safely. Issue them sidearms, but no magazines or ammo. Teach them proper handling procedures. Make that sidearm a natural extension of the soldier's body. Safe handling becomes a habit.
  12. Vom Kriege

Vom Kriege New Member

Well, upon further pontification, if it has to be a DAO then the Sig 220DAK would be the "best" choice.
  13. GunnFixr

GunnFixr New Member

Domestic gun.

SA XD.
  14. Vom Kriege

Vom Kriege New Member

It's made in Croatia and imported by Springfield.
  15. GunnFixr

GunnFixr New Member

Don't confuse me with facts, dammit!

I'd like to see a American made sidearm, but most American made sidearms suck!

I'm not a big fan of Rugers P series, they are chunky, and ill fitting. The only S&W semi-auto I like is their 1911 offering.

Fug it. We are already using Berretta, stick with it. The Couger is available in 45acp