The Firearms Forum banner

What should the army's new .45 be?

8K views 52 replies 33 participants last post by  TranterUK 
#1 ·
After hearing about the army's decision to return to .45 and not the 1911, what do you think they should adopt?
Personally, a gun like the HK USP .45 would be a great choice but due to its price and also the fact that they're already giving germany enough money for the XM8, i don't think its really an option...what do you guys think

G
#52 ·
The Hi Power would be a good choice except for its 9mm caliber, Tranter. I still think the military needs to go back to a .45 caliber pistol for handguns since hollow-point ammo is forbidden for military use. I carried the old 1911 Colt for a year, and trust me, it will indeed get the job done quite effectively.

G
#53 ·
The Hi Power would be a good choice except for its 9mm calibre, Tranter. I still think the military needs to go back to a .45 calibre pistol for handguns since hollow-point ammo is forbidden for military use. I carried the old 1911 Colt for a year, and trust me, it will indeed get the job done quite effectively.
I agree Pistol, the 1911A1 is a fine handgun. I have used them a little, and qualified on them in your own country. I also agree about the calibre. Given the choice I would choose .45acp against any other in a pistol. That big heavy 230gns at a slow, 850fps is my idea of 'effective'. Less penetration, more energy dump! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.