1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

what spare parts should i keep on hand for my 1911?

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by ysacres, Mar 7, 2003.

1. ysacres

ysacres Well-Known Member

Andrew
    (2/21/02 12:44:41 pm)
    Reply what spare parts should I keep on hand for my 1911?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The headline is pretty self explanatory, but I am wondering which parts are most likely to need replacing during a lifetime of using the gun at least once a month. I would like to have these parts on hand in case our benevolent masters in Washington decide that I shouldn't be able to obtain them.
    Also, which brands should I purchase and where is the best place to get them?

Hangfire
    (2/21/02 4:08:06 pm)
    Reply Re: what spare parts should I keep on hand for my 1911?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    It's hard to wear out a good 1911 only shooting it once a month. Just get another 45, one for the othe hand. Seriously, get involved in the fight for your 2nd amendment rights. Find out who you're friends are in congress and vote. Do every thing you can to protect our rights and you will never have to worry about hording spare parts.

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/21/02 4:22:02 pm)
    Barrel bushing, barrel link & pin, recoil spring (2 or 3), firing pin, sear, extractor, extra magazines.

Nothing critical here, but nice to have....just things to pick up cheap at a gunshow if you see 'em.

Edited by: Xracer at: 2/22/02 10:14:22 am

Smoky14
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/22/02 3:19:08 pm)
    Lots of buddits!

rayra
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/26/02 6:36:29 pm)
    only things I've had fail in 17 years of heavy shooting with my series 80 Colt is the barrel bushing, twice (once stock bushing, once solid bushing); and the front sight broke twice.
    And my ejector broke one leg.
    The rest of my parts swaps have been optional.

as said above, springs (they wear out), barrel links, barrel bushing, and if you have a series 80 - the firing pin safety stop / spring-barrel thingy.
    Heck, not that expensive, would buy 1 of everything if you're that concerned.

and seconding - VOTE!
    Only 25% of the eligible population bothered to get off their collective asses and vote in the last general election.