What started it all?

Discussion in 'Knives & Edged Items' started by Win73, Nov 26, 2009.

1. Win73

Win73 New Member

What started you knife collecting? What was your very first knife? The knives below got me started. It was a set. It was my ten year employment anniversary award from TVA. It is US made Schrade scrimshaw knives.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2009
  2. red14

red14 New Member

I idolized my dad. I liked (and copied) every thing he did. He always had to have a sharp knife. He was a great fisherman. He told me a sharp knife was the most important thing when cleaning fish. I would watch him sharpen them before he would clean fish.

I cut my hand playing with one of his knives. He said if I learned how to take care of a knife he would get me one. One day he gave me a knife. I still have it. I inherited all of Dad's knives. They are very important to me.
  3. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

I got an old German Boker that was manufactured around the turn of the century that belonged to my Great Grandfather. He was a Coal miner and a larger man than normally worked in the mines. He was a touch over 6'2 and they called him Ole Ugly. He developed a locking quick connect coupler of some sorts for the Hard Hat lamp's battery pack and got little credit for it. Any way he was given the Knife by a friend for a bithday gift back in 1921, Money was scarce back then so the knife was used of course but it was just a gesture between friends.
  4. Maximilian II

Maximilian II New Member

I have to add my name to the list of those who started because of dad. He had one, and always told me how it was a mark of responsibility to have it. Wanting to be like him, of course I wanted a pocket knife. After a few mistakes on my part, I finally did get my own, at around age 6 or 7.
    I still have it, somewhere.
  5. Eddie N

Eddie N New Member

Same here, except my Grandpa is the one who always had one. He gave me one of his, I think, and I have always had at least one on me ever since.
  6. buckeye14

buckeye14 New Member

My grandpa he always carried a knife, usually a Barlow. He gave me the little silver barlow near the bottom of the pic. the rest of the knives were his, and some I picked up through the years. The bottom knife I made with a bayonet when I was about 9 or 10.
    My grandpa had bunch of the blades, but have not been able to locate them. He said they made them somewhere near by. If you guys see anything that might be of value let me know. Thanks John

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    the last pic some recent pick ups. The large J.A. Henckels was only $2 at a thrift store. the rest were from my dad.
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
  7. red14

red14 New Member

Nice collection,
    Buckeye, I have a couple of yours. Couple Buck and the Barlow. I have almost that many.

I think I'll spread mine out like yours just to see them out. Never have.
  8. Johnny Knoxville

Johnny Knoxville New Member

My first knives were Buck folders and a couple of Buck Rigging knives with fids for rope work back in my sailing days.

The first really nice folding knife I received was a Puma from my wife 35 years ago for XMas. I lost that knife Nordic Skiing. The next summer I found this Buck on a two track road in Idaho. My wife bought me a replacement Puma because I felt so bad about loosing the first. Still have the knife, still have the wife. ;)

[​IMG]

My EDC these days is a Gerber F.A.S.T Draw. By Oregon knife maker Butch Vallotton.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2009