What state is best for gun owners/shooters?

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by Lark07, Feb 6, 2010.

1. Lark07

Lark07 Former Guest

Where is the best place to live if one is a gun owner? According to my limited research, the following states all allow title 1 guns as well as machine guns, sound suppressors, SBR, SBS, DD and AOW’s with no restrictions or just something like routine NFA registration. AK, AR, AZ, CO, CT, FL, GA, ID, KY, LA, ME, MS, NC, ND, NH, NM, NV, OH, OK, OR, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, WV, WY, If anyone knows of a state on my list that should not be there, please let me know. :)

I prefer the western states with the more rural areas and seemingly more relaxed attitudes towards life in general. I will retire in a dozen years and since my state is not on the above list, I want to find another place. I lived in Idaho for a little while when I was young, I might have to check it out again sometime soon.
  2. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

I'd say of all 50 states, Vermont seems to have the most lenient gun laws - at least regarding carrying. As far as ANY state goes for gun owners, I'd say Texas or Florida are good states for gun owners. Probably any state that does not include California, Massatwoshits or any part of the New England area not including Vermont... Wisconsin and Illinois are pretty anti-gun states. Just don't go to CA, WI, IL, or any part of the NE area except for VT and you should be just fine.
  3. TTUshooter

TTUshooter New Member

i thought it was NH that had unlicensed carry and basically anything thats not against fed law is pretty much kosher.

Texas is good except no Open Carry and i think the CCW permit is a bit pricy compared to others. but I'm happy with the gun laws.
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2010
  4. Lark07

Lark07 Former Guest

Oh yeah, I forgot about open and concealed carry laws or the lack thereof. I know that WA (an anti gun state if there ever was one) has a shall issue permit for concealed carry, but no law banning open carry, although businesses can ban guns on the premises and schools are gun free zones. Depending on who you ask, concealed carry laws, even shall issues laws are clearly anti-gun; although I do not exactly feel this way. I have read posts on other forums that detailed police being called just because a person was carrying openly. The person usually ended up explaining to the cop that it was legal and that they were doing it because it was their right to do so, something many people just do not understand I guess.

I used to live in Hawaii for a while. It is listed on some websites as allowing concealed carry, but I never even heard of anyone who knew of anyone getting a permit from the chief of police who was not police, a state employee or a friend of the CLEO. They even have an assault pistol ban only because the rank and file cops would not support a complete assault weapons ban.

I guess I should include hunter protection laws, castle doctrine and available rifle ranges as well.
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2010
  5. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

NH has a shall issue CCL that requires a background check and checking three references. Once that is done then the police chief issues a permit and charges you $10 for 4 years. The only off limits places are courthouses and the statehouse and federal off limits like schools.

The gun laws are pretty reasonable.
  6. Marlin T

Marlin T Active Member

AZ is trying to pass a Concealed Carry law that does not require a permit.

Alaska would have to be the best in my opinion.
  7. NitroDave08

NitroDave08 New Member

WY is pretty gun friendly, no waiting period, $79 and you get a CCW, Castle Doctrine. Only thing here is that towns are prety far apart for shopping.
  8. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Here in Ohio, les it has changed since this past November, to get a CCWP one has to go through 12 hours of trianing and background check and a 3 month waiting period and $150-$175.
  9. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

Well as far as ALL laws go, I'd say Illinois is the worst state to own a gun in - especially if you live in the Chicago area. Wisconsin is pretty anti-gun too. I have no idea why Wisconsin would be. Much of Wisconsin is pretty rural. Then again, open carry is perfectly legal although you'll be harassed for it around the bigger cities like Madison or Milwaukee. Only ranges I know of around here is there's a rifle range up in Lodi and there's a pistol/archery range in Deerfield.

I'd agree with whomever said Alaska for being the most gun friendly place. But Alaska seems like a boring place to live.
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2010
  10. Carne Frio

Carne Frio Member

" I'd agree with whomever said Alaska for being the most gun friendly place. But Alaska seems like a boring place to live. "

Yes; very gun friendly and friendly in general. Boring; yes,
    so come and visit, bring lots of money, then go back to where
    you came from and don't be bored. :D
  11. Teejay9

Teejay9 New Member

Southwest Corner of the US, "Where no stinking fen
    I'd say my state, California is VERY gun friendly, oops! I mean un Friendly :D. TJ
  12. guns4life

guns4life New Member

yall might want to check out south carolina cwp is 100.00 bucks 50.00 to sled good for four years we have the castle doctrine laws also but ours are also covered in a vehicle motorcycle even a bicycle plus as far as I know we are the only state that has a tax free weekend on all firearms GUNS4LIFE
  13. papawed

papawed New Member

I travel frequently in our motorhome. I have studied the reciprical states, and avoid IL if at all possible. I live in Indiana, so sometimes that means going out of my way.
    Can anyone explain carry laws as they relate to traveling hyomes? Should this be a brand new post? I am new.
    Ed
  14. neilin

neilin New Member

Missouri is a good state for gun owners. Many beautiful areas to hunt, all sorts of wild life, especially deer. Many places to shoot, although urban development is restricting the number of places we can shoot. Bass Pro is trying to make up for that with their indoor ranges. I guess I should not leave out that I do much of my shooting in the rain, since Missouri gets more rain than it does sunshine. I have lived in five states, and have made Missouri my home.
  15. db4usa

db4usa New Member

I too have made Missouri my home after living oppressed in Illinois all of my life. Just got my CCW for $100 for 4 years. Although with the Castle Doctrine, here we do not need a permit for a loaded gun in our vehicles...Sweet! Oh yeah, I almost forgot to mention that the Brady bunch just rated Missouri #4 of 100 possible points for states with gun control. We might be #4 but we're trying ;-)
  16. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

This is the web site I check before I RV around the country.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/
  17. papawed

papawed New Member

Thanks Terry P., I have always checked the reciprical laws, and try to adhere by them. I think my RV qualifies as my home, however, and would like to know if the laws are different.

BTW Indiana is a pretty good state for owners/shooters. I have a "lifetime" carry permit. Do you think Brady and bunch would like to get that revoked?
  18. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

Welcome to the forums Papawed. You wouldn't happen to be the legendary Ed from Indiana who has spent time at Waco North KOA and other RV parks in the central Texas area would you?

To answer a portion of your question, Texas now allows conceal carry in motor vehicles WITHOUT a permit. Gotta love Gov. Rick Perry's "castle" law. The new law defines a motor vehicle as an extension of a man's home, and not even God would attempt to tell a Texan he has to have a permit to carry a gun in his own home.
  19. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

All firearms in NH are tax free every day as there is no sales or income tax.
  20. Blackhawk Dave

Blackhawk Dave New Member

Texas requires the license for conceal/carry, but I think it's now more for the income than anything else. Training comes down to, if you shoot someone, "I was in fear for my life...and I'm not saying anything else until I talk with my attorney".