What tha'???? (Hot & spicy shrimp)

Discussion in 'Ruffit's Domestic & Wild Game Cooking/ Recipe Foru' started by Crpdeth, Nov 29, 2009.

1. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

I cant find a recipe for this stuff anywhere... My local Chinese buffet called it "Hot and spicy shrimp", it had a bit of a bite to it as faint as it may have been, but the flavor was amazing... They discontinued it most likely because it was too expensive to keep on the buffet. It was basically just shrimp in some type of spicy red sauce...

When I research the recipe I come up with all kinds of stir-fry with veggies, but nothing like what I am looking for...

Anyone have any idea what I'm talking about?

Trying to ask the staff about it would be like, well... Trying to talk Chinese. :D

Crpdeth
  2. Marlin T

Marlin T Active Member

I'm not really sure I can help you out here, but that Chinese hot sauce is really pretty hot. So I'm thinking that if you take your favorite recipe and use that Chinese hot sauce you wind up with some pretty good stuff.
  3. Double Deuce

Double Deuce New Member

Was it kung pao shrimp, szechuan, General Tao's?
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2009
  4. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

Nope, nope and ummmmm.... "General Tao's", I cant find a recipe for this one that relates, most seem to contain chicken.

The one I want is almost like a soup with shrimp floating in a spicy red sauce.

Crpdeth
  5. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

That was because they broke a bottle of Franks Red Hot Sauce and didn't want to throw it out. :p
  6. dianalv

dianalv New Member

If it's a spicy red sauce and it's Asian, then likely they are using Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce, which you can find in most major supermarkets or Asian markets. Good stuff. I always have it in my fridge. I knew several amazing Chinese cooks and it was always the hot sauce of choice. My favorite sushi restaurant has it prominently displayed and they use it frequently. It's the Asian version of Frank's Red Hot! Different flavor, obviously.

Try stir frying the shrimp in a hot sesame seed oil (also found at Asian markets or your local Trader Joes') with the Sriracha chili sauce added to taste. That should do it!
  7. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

Oh, Rooster sauce! *Sings* "They come to snuff tha' Rooster", (Good song with wonderful meaning) OKAY, back on topic... What was the topic? Oh yeah, I've seen this stuff in the store, I will have to grab a bottle and try it.

I will say, for the benefit of attempting to find this recipe, the shrimps were boiled (Probably should have said that in the beginning, huh?) and the sauce (to me) seemed to have a bit of carrot flavor, but in researching this Rooster sauce I am hopeful that it was a key ingredient that I can duplicate.

Thanks!

Crpdeth
  8. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Been there done that. Found something...tried to duplicate without success...

A local chinese place had a lomein that i loved. I could not duplicate the spices or even the kind of noodle they used. I got smart and negotiated a price for the stuff "by the panfull" instead.

Mike
    Gn
  9. dianalv

dianalv New Member

Likely what your tasting is a red bean paste instead of carrots.

We have an International market here that sells spice packets for all kinds of different cuisines from around the world, and all the ingredients to make them, along with recipes. I'd look for something like that near you. I love just going in there and grabbing stuff I've no idea what it is and trying it. Found some great recipes that way.

I love curry and this place has every variation on curry you can imagine. Indian, Indonisian, Thai, and so on all in red, green or yellow. I usually go with yellow, as it's the healthiest. Tumeric is really good for you.
  10. red14

red14 Active Member

I like curry, but not the hot stuff. Usually with rice.
  11. JUNKKING

JUNKKING Active Member

When the Chinese cook they use many different ingredients you would never think is in there. I too love curry, This place by me has curry chicken which has 17 ingredients including lemon grass and a bunch of other weeds. I can not duplicate this taste for love or money.

Good luck finding your recipe Donnie. My wife has been trying to duplicate the taste of their dumpling sauce for years and can't get that either. Like the old commercial maybe it's an ancient Chinese Secret.
  12. Artemus

Artemus New Member

Try looking it up at Cooks.com
  13. Maximilian II

Maximilian II New Member

Sriracha is garlicky, a bonus in my estimation. I use it instead of ketchup on hot dogs and it holds a special spot in my fridge, right next to the unopened spare. Don't want to run out, I'd starve!
    It might not be what you're looking for but even so it's probably something you want.
  14. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

Thanks Art, I welcome any new recipe sites... I've been using Allrecipes.com for years and will add Cooks to my list.

Exactly...

As a spice lover, combined with my love for Chinese food I cannot believe I haven't tried this Sriracha hot sauce yet.

Diana, I picked some up today and went about trying the recreate this recipe after many futile attempts to find it on-line... I realized early on that I had not happened upon what I was looking for, but was in the mood to cook, so I pulled from your ideas with a little variation and although it was worlds away from my original desire, it came out very good.

I pulled out the food processor and tossed in:

8 Baby carrots
    1/2 Onion
    1/2 Red bell pepper
    Sriracha
    Soy sauce

Making a paste out of this and set it aside.

In a hot cast iron skillet I threw in:

Sesame oil
    1/2 Onion
    1/2 Bell pepper
    Jalapeno
    More Sriracha
    Shrimps!

After stirring until the onion was clear I added the processed concoction and continued to stir until I had the consistency that I wanted, then spooned it over a bed of white rice.

Like I said, this is nothing like what I was originally looking for, but turned out very good.

Thanks for taking part in my thread everyone! :p

Crpdeth

Attached Files:

15. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

I decided to move this to the recipe forum.

:)