what the difference between .45 and .454 casull?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by focusmaniaczx3, Mar 6, 2010.

1. focusmaniaczx3

focusmaniaczx3 Member

in my stupor tonight i find myself wondering what the difference is. i really want to lay my hands on a raging judge when they come out but at the same time i already have a 6 inch barrel judge with a 2.5 inch cylinder. and i already have another ultralight snubby judge with the 2.5 inch cylinder. i got the long gun to take in the woods and the snubby to keep in my pocket. so what would be the point of the raging judge? ive never fired a .454 casull but it must be the same size bullet as a .45 right? i dunno im a little messed up right now, hence my guns are all unloaded and locked up right now, but i just find myself wanting to know the exact difference between a .45 long colt and a .454 casull.
  2. bigbore480

bigbore480 New Member

A 454 is about three times the pressure and three times the recoil. soot one before you buy one. The recoil is about double a 44 mag.
  3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Physically, it's sorta like a 38 and a 357. The Casull is a twentieth of an inch longer (1.279 vs. 1.311). Power-wise, a Colt pushes a 250 grain bullet at around 800fps. Casull pushes a 300 grain bullet at 1600.
  4. focusmaniaczx3

focusmaniaczx3 Member

holy ****!
    so the basic difference is that it shoots a slightly longer version of the same bullet a whole hell of alot faster? and 800fps sounds more like a .45acp. is that really the velocity that a .45 long colt gets? i thought it had more? in this case i think i really want one now.

i LOVE shooting recreationally. and every time i shoot a hand gun i always wish there was more bang. ive even thought about getting a 500S&W for that reason. this would be perfect for me then. i might loose the regular 6 inch judge and replace it with the raging model. THAT should knock a bear's head clean off if he were coming up a tree at me. what do you think the BANG! comparison between a .454 casull and a 500S&W would be?
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2010
  5. VegasTech702

VegasTech702 New Member

First off, both are revolver cartridges, not to be confused with a .45 ACP (Automatic Colt Pistol) like as in a 1911.

A .45 Long Colt will fit in the cylinder of a gun chambered in .454 Casull. A .454 Casull will NOT fit in a gun chambered for .45 LC. This is the same scenario as a .357Mag/.38Spec. As the previous post stated, the .454 Casull cartridge is a very powerful one that is often used in Large game pistol hunting.

The .45 Long Colt is the cartridge that was originally designed and used in the Colt Peacemaker single action revolver. It is not a bad cartridge to shoot, it can be stout with heavy loads but not wrist breaking or anything.

The Judge revolver from Taurus will take .45LC's or .410 Shotgun Shells. It is an innovative design and very popular. I do not however, care for Taurus revolvers. Their quality is junky and the customer service is an absolute joke. To each their own on that one.
  6. focusmaniaczx3

focusmaniaczx3 Member

well personal feelings for judge aside. the judge isnt exactly chambered for the 45LC. its chambered for the shotgun more. what would happen if you were to shoot a .454 out of a standard judge i wonder? is the .454 more than 2.5 inches long from primer to tip? if its not it SHOULD be able to be fired from a standard judge. im just curious if the gun would blow up in your hand
  7. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

Perhaps "blow up with your hand" would be more accurate.
  8. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.454_Casull

It's based on the .45 Colt. Basically it sounds like it's a .45 Colt with a lengthened and structurally improved casing. Kind of like the .357 Magnum compared to the .38 Special. Uses a rifle primer instead of a pistol primer because of the high pressures of the round.
  9. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Yes, a 454 will fit in a judge. Howsomever, a 45 Colt has, around 14,000 psi of pressure. A 410 shotshell has around 12,000 psi. A 454 has around 55,000 psi.

Like ampaterry said, "Blow up with your hand".
  10. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

for godsakes man dont do it. they arent proofed for that amount of pressure. The new raging judges are heat treated to handle the excessive pressure. the standard judges arent. the end result would be ugly im sure...
  11. focusmaniaczx3

focusmaniaczx3 Member

woof WTF i was boogered up last night. yeah that is a definite hell no on firing a 454 outa my gun. im making plans for trading in my judges for the new ones this year. my stubby 5 shooter for the new stubby 7 shooter and my 6 inch barrel for the RJM with 6 inch barrel. or i might just stick with the one i have and get a 500S&W lol
  12. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

now yer talkin;)
  13. bigbore480

bigbore480 New Member

I have had a 454 super red hawk blow up in my hand. They are already hot rodded to maximum pressure and I have no doubt altering a judge to fire 454 would be a foolish and deadly decision. I shoot a 460 smith now, often using 454 ammunition. The smith is a much stronger pistol.
  14. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

its always a better idea to fire the powerful cartridges in a gun built for even more powerful cartridges. Yet there are still folk that cram 357 mag load data into a .38 spec case and wonder why their guns go boom...
  15. LDJ

LDJ Member

After reading this post I tried loading one of my 454's in my Judge. It will not go in enough to turn the cylinder. I believe you have to have a Raging Bull that is made to shoot the 454 to load a 454. The 410 goes in fine but not the 454. I did not want one of my Grand Kids getting confused and loading one in the wrong gun so I tried it.