1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

What to Buy, New to reloading.

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by dbltap, Dec 9, 2009.

1. dbltap

dbltap New Member

I want to start reloading 223, 9mm and 45 for now. Any DVDs and or books to get me going? Also I'm on a budget and am looking for a progressive press.
    So far I'm looking at a Lee Loadmaster. Any thoughts?

Thanks
  2. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

i was in your shoes 3 months ago. first buy books 1. lyman and 2. nosler. i am going to buy the hornady also. i am on a budget also and there is a nice starter kit from lee thats about 100 bucks but it is single stage. i would check out midwayusa as an online resource to see what starter kits are out there. i also bought a dvd from rcbs at cabelas that is very helpful because i learn more seeing things. that was like ten bucks.
  3. Gearheadpyro

Gearheadpyro New Member

Check out my website http://www.rifles-shooting-reloading.com, it should be able to help you out with getting started.

What kind of a budget? Progressives aren't known for being cheap. The lee turret press isn't too bad though and I can knock out 100 rounds an hour + with it. What is the volume of shooting that you do? Anything less than 1000 rounds a month and I would say go with the turret, above that you may want to look into a progressive.

+1 on zkovach, buy one or two reloading manuals first and foremost. The Lyman is an excellent starter.
  4. res45

res45 Member

5. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

6. springerbuster

springerbuster New Member

+1 for the Hornady LNL. That's what I chose 3 months ago for my first press. No regrets, it is a great deal.
  7. scrat

scrat New Member

you can not have enough of books. The ABC's of reloading, and load manuals are all very good. Videos are also great. a place where you can see some quick videos online RCBS.

http://www.rcbs.com/general/videos.aspx
  8. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Buy a couple of reloading manuals. Read and re-read the "how-to" sections of the manual until you understand all of the process. If you understand the "why's" of reloading, the process will become easy and you won't get into trouble. The Hornady manual is good at explaining the "why's".

Do your load development from the Starting Load and work up from there. NEVER exceed the Maximum Load levels and start out using the components exactly as in the recipes.

There are pitfalls to reloading but if go in educated you will not fall into them. Remember, safety first. A reloading mistake can be life threatening. If you follow the manuals there is no problem but make a mistake or perform a bad test and...... you get the idea, I'm sure. Come here for any help you may need but get educated first.

LDBennett
  9. neilin

neilin New Member

Of those three calibers, I reload for the 9mm and .45 acp. I use a Lee Turret press, and I really like it. When it comes to dies I prefer RCBS (carbide). I find Lyman's reloading manual very helpful.
  10. Horsky1911

Horsky1911 New Member

As a boy I grew up watching my step father reload. When I was 16 I bought my first press and manual. I went with the RCBS Rock Chucker kit and the Lyman manual. Five years after that the press was still in the box due to having nowhere to use it and a new child on the way. At that point in time i bought another Lyman manual to have for when the time came. I read them both front to back several times. Five years later I have finally set up the Rock Chucker and bought a few more manuals. I have reloaded solo for the last 4 months as I used to do it with my step dad until I got my own man cave. Since then and a few hundred rounds under my belt I have upgraded to a Hornady LNL AP for pistol but I still use the rock chucker for all my rifle loads. The best thing I did was wait 12 years to solo reload as I have matured greatly and have also become patient. I suggest reading ABC's of Reloading and reading the lyman manual a few times from front to back and decide if reloading is for you. Also figure out how much you will shoot regularly, you are on a budget and it is quite expensive to set yourself up with a progressive if you do not shoot a lot. You need more than the press to have a proper set up (scale, primer flip tray, tumbler, bullet puller, ect.) and you could easily spend $700 and not have everything with a progressive that you may need and no components. Or you could get a kit with a turret or single stage press and have components for that same $700. It is your money but IMHO you need to read the manuals first then figure out a press as the manuals have a great section on what you need to get started.
  11. Shorty Bang

Shorty Bang New Member

My opinion is go with the "Rock Chucker" press from RCBS, it is an easy to use single stage press. Also buy a hand primer (insert favorite brand here I prefer RCBS). I have found the one on the press can be frustrating to a new "hand loader". Something else to think about is always buy updated books and guides, because hand loading has evolved. Something that works in 1970 still might work today, but there could be something better and safer out there for the modern rifle. One more tip, buy an extra shell holder to keep in your primer. That way you don't have to keep changing from press to primer all the time. Never mind I just now realized you were looking for a progressive.
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2009
  12. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

Lots of good advice here. I've been reloading since the early 1970s, and I'm still learning new tricks (I'm an OLD DOG). The volume you are going to shoot should decide what gear you buy. Just know that if you buy really inexpensive tools, you will replace them with better quality later, anyway. I understand the budget thing, and you can find some otherwise expensive tools cheaply on-line or at a gun show. Just get an idea of what they cost new so you don't get ripped off.

Being an 'Old Dog' I like the RCBS presses, either RCBS, Lyman or Lee dies, Lyman case trimmers and Loading Manuals. I just retired my old balance beam scale and RCBS powder measurer and went with a Lyman DPS 3 powder measurer/scale. Found that on the internet new for under $200. Just bought a replacement case trimmer (Lyman Universal) for about $60 at Bass Pro Shop. Guys will spend MUCH more than new prices on Ebay, so be careful and know what new prices are.

Some basic tools, other than the press, loading manual, dies, case trimmer, powder weighing and dispensing gear will include a dial caliper, de-burring tool, a hand priming tool (RCBS or Lee). Later you will want to add a case cleaner/tumbler. Makes your reloads look and perform much better.

The Lyman reloading manual has a great forward on the basics of reloading. Read it, then re-read it, then sit down with a cup of coffee, and read it again. Make sure you understand what you are going to do, and why you are doing it. The book will tell you - as have other wise writers here - to follow loading manual instructions TO THE LETTER. Don't take short cuts. Good luck, and ask questions!
  13. Crow Juice

Crow Juice New Member

I noticed someone suggested the Lee clasic turret press .I think this would be a better way to go for a novice than a progressive . The lee is easy to set up and very cost effective .The auto indexing feature produces a loaded round every 4 strokes .The auto index can be disabled and the press used as a single stage unit as well. Spare turrets are very cost effective compared to turrets on other presses . Lee's web sight has a video of this press in use . A friend new to reloading just bought one and was able to set up and get going by himself .When I got there I just loaded some shells . You need the primer feeder and disc powder measure options to get the best results .
  14. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

A lot of good tips so far. Do you by any chance have a friend that reloads that would let you sit in and watch? It's a great way to find out if it's what you really want to do.
    1st- Manuals, books and dvd's. All you can get and afford
    2nd- Read them and watch them and then do it again several times. My books and manuals are all dog eared and have broken spines from so much referring.
    3rd- Take into consideration how often you shoot and how much. Is it worth the time and the expense of the equipment and supplies? If yes... is it worth a progressive or a single stage (be honest with yourself on that one. I'd love the Dillon 1050 but I know I don't need it or can swing the cash for it). If you start with a single stage, it won't go unused if you upgrade to one of the fancy colors of the rainbow.
    4th- Shop around. Look for the best prices you can find, there is quite a bit of stuff you'll need and it all adds up.
    5th- Check and re-check yourself. A small mistake can cause serious damage to you, others and your weapon. Take your time, it should be relaxing.
    6th- When in doubt... ask for advice.
  15. dbltap

dbltap New Member

Yes it is a great price. Just bought it. 45 cal is one of the rounds I want to reload anyway so that's what I will choose for my free bullets. Thanks for the info.