The Firearms Forum banner

What To Buy Next?

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  WHSmithIV 
#1 ·
Just did my taxes, and it turns out I paid into AZ coffers far more than I should have. My refurnd will be sufficient to buy another gun, so I first thought I'd get a Sig P938. My LGS has a few in stock, and I really like the P238; the 9mm P938 is only about 1/4" bigger.

But then I noticed that the Big 5 here in town has a couple of Ruger Mini-14 Ranch rifles in stock. It's the five-shot model, but that's easily changed, and I don't currently have anything in .223 (though I do have reloading dies).

What is the Mini-14 good for that my .243 can't do better? Yes, I know the auto will shoot faster than the BLR, but is there anything in particular that the .223 is really good for? Would it, for instance, be a better choice for hunting coyotes?

#4 ·
I want both the R51 and a ruger ranch. Unfortunately I will not be receiving a tax rebate check. I have to pay over $2000 this year. My real estate tax bill is due also. No guns for me.

#7 ·
The Mini 14 would be a little cheaper to reload, a little less recoil and should hold it's value if you decide to dispose of it down the road.
Then it depends if you would use a handun more then another rifle. I've been buying handguns mostly the last year & a half along with old 22 rifles.

I have enough guns for what ever I need to do, but I like adding to the collection, I buy what ever I will use some time or another, that's my suggestion, buy what ever you'll get the most use out of.

Another thing to think about is with the Democrats pushing for an Assualt Weapons Ban and Gifford getting shot in AZ a few years ago a Mini 14 might be the better choice. If you get one now and they pass a Assault Weapond Ban, you should be Grand-fathered in. Plus you already have the dies to reload the ammo.

#8 ·
Mini 14's are nice rifles. I'd buy one in a heartbeat. If I were you I'd get the mini 14 for sure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.