What to Buy

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Zigzag2, Feb 25, 2003.

1. Zigzag2

Zigzag2 Guest

b9904
    (10/5/02 11:23:08 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All What to Buy
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    to all:
    guys,

i need suggestions on a gun to buy.

1) it will be used for self defense and as a concealed carry weapon.

2) it can participate in a sanctioned IPSC competition (standard and production division) without further customization.

4) chambered in 9mm, .40, .45

5) very good quality, something i can pass down to my son.

6) can be a pistol or revolver.

7) price range not exceeding $1000

advance thanks

shooter45 us
    *TFF Chief Of Staff*
    (10/5/02 7:12:31 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: What to Buy
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Kimber 1911. None better IMHO.

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (10/6/02 8:07:05 am)
    Yup.

Bompa
    (10/6/02 9:16:39 pm)
    Nothing wrong with a CZ75b in 9mm or 40,, your preference..

b9904
    (10/7/02 4:30:14 am)
    bompa:

i asked around about the CZ line.... and guess what ive heard:

1) the CZ frame is not as good compared to other brands.

but CZ is a fine made gun though.

Zigzag2
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (10/7/02 7:39:33 am)
    Shooter45 is telling the truth... I should have listened... I bought a Colt Gold Cup Trophy instead
    Oh well, a Kimber is on my list now
    In this age where truth is fleeting and mass manipulation is common, the ability to detect when something doesn't make sense is a valuable one.

Bompa
    (10/7/02 8:44:20 am)
    b9144 could you tell me just what was said as to why the CZ frame is not as good as others ??
    Perhaps it was someone that wanted you to buy another brand of gun ??

b9904
    (10/7/02 11:31:51 pm)
    zigzag:

thank you

Bompa:

i dont think she would want me to buy another model of gun... she actually owns a CZ 75B and an Armscor .40 (a locally made gun, they also make Charles Daly handguns) she tells me the Armscor frame is even better than that of the CZ.

she's not a sales person or a gun shop owner just plain gun enthusiast and she actually joins level I compatitions.

she recomends either to buy a springfield 1911 (we dont have kimber guns ready available here, we have to wait a month or two after the order is placed, and imported guns here cost 50% more than the SRP) or an armscor 1911 ($500 or less add $100 for customization) clone if i cant afford a springfield/kimber but i have to customize it for compatitions.

her recomendation and opinion (regarding the CZ frame) is second by 3 other people who joins level II competitions and fellow gun enthusiasts.

btw, im from the Philippines

boomatic
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/8/02 4:18:13 pm)
    If you can get the Kimber...do so. If not...with the choices you mention...get a Springfield. Whether it is a full size, commander, compact or micro compact is up to your preferences. I own and like them all but the micro...but that is just me. If you are looking to customize, get a mil spec and go from there. Great base gun.

Goes without saying...but I will anyway...I believe strongly in the .45 caliber.

Good luck!

"A .45 for every man woman, and child if I am elected President. Two for every good looking woman!!!"
    Paid for by the Xracer and Boom-atic for Federal Office Campaign

1badmagnum
    (11/25/02 6:11:05 am)
    gunfinder.net has 2 440 corbon de's availaable.
    instant collectors item,and a fantastic gun.
    these have been discontinued because of liability concerns from magnum research.

Tac401
    Administrator
    (11/25/02 8:27:23 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del

Re: What to Buy
    When are yooz gonna loyn dat .45acp is da way???
    TFF VMBB Email Tac

75BDdude
    (11/26/02 9:48:03 pm)
    That's a pretty interesting observation by that person about the 75B frame being not as strong. And then to recommend a 1911 after that.... Where there are many documented cases of 1911 frames cracking due to hard use. That's why the "shock Buff" was invented.... to prevent that. I've never heard of any frames cracking on CZ'z. What people do recommend with a CZ is to get a Wolff 16lb spring and go from there. With the CZ you will likely have your slide stop break after a healthy diet of stout loads. Then $20 later you're back in business. Much cheaper than the price of a 1911 frame if it cracks. Now before the flames start... I LOVE 1911's!!!! I own 2. I also own 1 CZ and love it. I just think maybe this person may have lead you astray. The Kimber is an awesome gun. You should handle numerous guns and make your own choice. However you should not let an isolated comment about the "longevity" of the CZ frame sway your decision. Because I guarantee by the time you see durability issues with a CZ you'll be seein' 'em with a 1911 also unless you take measures to prevent it in either gun. And the average person, shooting normal loads, will never have an issue with either platform. Just my 2 cents. YMMV

Bompa
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/26/02 11:03:06 pm)
    Have to agree with Dude about the durability of the CZ frame..
    I have been shooting the CZ for a bit over a year,3 to4 hundred rounds a week and have had no problems..There are people on this forum and the CZforum that have been shooting CZ's for twenty years with no issues at all..I too am a 1911 owner,over thirty years,and like the gun and wouldn't give them up but the CZ75b gets more range time then everything else..The only thing the CZ needs is a red dot and
    finding a mount has been frustrating..Guess I must look at the Doctor sight..
  2. jubilblu

jubilblu New Member

Hello Zigzag2;
    I have a XD Springfield 9 MM, used looks new 2mags and cable lock in the box it came in 400 rounds fired.
    drop me an email and see the pics campbell5475@bellsouth.net
  3. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

A nice new Walther P99 in .40 S&W
  4. Green

Green New Member

ZigZag2, I know most guys like the bigger power hitters. I have had my CCP for 10 yrs.(waiting for my renewal to go through now,sent it in a few weeks ago.) I have carried several of em. Holsters,bulk,concealment,comfort etc. all come into play. At last I thought I had THE ONE. A Taurus lightweight, spurless .38. I think I have now settled on my Kel-Tec P3at .380. It is realy super light,thin, controlable and extreamly concealable and not a bad hitter for the size. I love it!
  5. Peanut Man

Peanut Man New Member

I posted a couple pics in a thread below called "if you had to pick a .380..." showing the comparitive sizes of a Glock 27, Taurus 85, Beretta Tomcat, and Kel-Tec p3at - take a look if you get a chance.
    Peanut Man
  6. Green

Green New Member

Great comparison Peanut man. Gotta love the Pa3t!!!
  7. Peanut Man

Peanut Man New Member

Thanks Green!