What to carry everyday in my truck?

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by marlin795, Apr 10, 2012.

1. marlin795

marlin795 New Member

Calvary Chapel Conference Center; Murrieta,CA
    I have 3 rifles, a Mosin Nagant, .12 Gauge shotgun, and a Marlin 795 .22.
    I'm debating which one to leave in my truck incase SHTF or I need it to protect myself or others. Any suggestions?
    Currently been taking the .22 everywhere.
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  2. shorter260513

shorter260513 New Member

I think I would carry the 12 with slugs if it has a short enough barrel
  3. marlin795

marlin795 New Member

It has a 18" barrel. But it's just a single shot break barrel. I currently like having the .22 because I have 10 10 round mags and it's easy to carry a box of 500. But it's just not effective with a drugged out tweaker or worse.
  4. Smoke

Smoke Member

Buy your self an AK with a folding stock, they fold down so small you can put them in a tennis racket bag. And that will fit behind the truck seat easily.
  5. marlin795

marlin795 New Member

Smoke, not legal here in cali. I like the under seat storage I have for a rifle and have a rifle rack as well.
  6. oneoldsap

oneoldsap New Member

Just turn the .22 around and split their skull with it ! My truck usually has a Mini-14 behind the seat , with a couple 20 Round mags .
  7. graehaven

graehaven Well-Known Member

The 12 ga. All day long.
  8. marlin795

marlin795 New Member

I want to get a security shotgun with 10 round capacity. I would carry that if I had it. I just don't feel safe with only a single shot then have to break it open and drop a new shot in. I'm pretty fast now that I have been practicing but still good for say multiple attackers.
  9. norahc

norahc Active Member

An hour's drive from the nearest McDonald's
    Nothing wrong with a good ol' lever action rifle for a truck gun. Out of the three that was listed originally, I have no preference.
  10. marlin795

marlin795 New Member

True, I've been waiting to get a .45 colt marlin 1894 cowboy but they're really hard to get in cali right now.
  11. graehaven

graehaven Well-Known Member

Mossberg 500? Used?
  12. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

12 guage shotgun any day.
  13. CJ_56

CJ_56 New Member

You can learn to load one of those break down shotguns really fast with practice. I've seen people hit two clays in the air with a break down shotgun. Quail hunters almost always used them when I was a kid and they practiced a lot to be able to get off two shots at a covey and many of them could do that. Yeah it would be tougher with bad guys but a shotgun can be super effective out to 75 yards with a good slug.

Personally I'd save some money and get a Pardner Pump Protector. They cost about $175 at Walmart when they have them and they hold 5 + 1 rounds although it's a bad idea to carry a round in the chamber of a shotgun. The Protector version of this shotgun has an 18.5" barrel and you can buy mag extensions to make these shotguns hold 7 rounds without getting past the end of the barrel. They are essentially a Chinese copy of an 870 except for the barrels which are slightly different. They are well made shotguns that will get the job done big time. Nothing says "I mean business" like a shotgun.

You could also get a Defender for $209. It also holds 5 + 1 and it has ghost ring sights. Those sights alone will cost you a good bit of money if you buy them separate. These shotguns are made in the same factory as the Pardner Pumps and are very similar I believe. I have a Pardner Pump but I would have gotten the one with the ghost rings if I could have found one when I was looking. They only come in at certain times of the year and they are in stock now. I saw one at a Walmart about a week ago but it was a long barrel version of the Pardner Pump.

The one bad thing is you can't buy extra barrels as easy as you can with an 870. Almost all parts from an 870 will work in a Pardner but not the barrels. The lug is in a different spot on the barrel. BTW Remington/Marlin owns the company that makes these shotguns. Actually it's owned by the Freedom Group which owns all 3 brands and some others too.

That Interstate with the ghost rings is the best deal you will find on a shotgun IMO. Add a mag extension and you have a heck of a SD weapon. A shotgun is a versatile gun with the choices of rounds available.
  14. Lee D

Lee D New Member

multiple badguys? AK/AR/Mini closely followed by an 18-22" IC smoothbore 12 ga w/riflesights
  15. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I know that you live in Commieforinia, but ya don't have much to choose from at this time. If I was limited to the three choices you have, then I would go with the 12 ga shot gun. I know it's only a single shoot, but it can be reloaded quickly with practice. The .22 is not a good fight stopper, and the Nagant will shoot thru several people with each shot! Truck gun = lever action, pump, or semi-auto.
  16. CJ_56

CJ_56 New Member

All good choices. Too bad we can't carry a loaded long gun in Ohio. I sometimes substitute a S&W 629 w/ 8 3/8" barrel on it. It has more range than a smooth bore shotgun and enough punch to get the job done and it's legal for those of us with a CCW. People think all shootouts take place at close range. Most do but not all. Not so long ago a group of drunken bums chased a family down the road for the horrible crime of passing them because they were driving 20 mph all over the road. They shot at them from a long distance too. It's probably true that a bunch of drunks isn't likely to hit anything even if they're close but that's not a risk I would like taking. Having something to shoot back is a good idea IMO. Too bad most governments don't understand that. Luckily they do in my area.

Marlin lever guns are hard to get anywhere right now. They have stopped production of them due to quality control issues after the move to the new factory and the new ownership. I'd be really careful about buying one if you did find it right now. I've wanted a 1895GBL in .45-70 for quite a while but I'm scared of buying a lever gun from Marlin right now and I know right where to find one. Apparently everyone else is scared to buy it too. It's been sitting in a shop for two years almost.
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  17. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

Get an AK, SKS, cheap AR for a beater truck gun. All three of them would be perfect for that job.
  18. carver

carver Moderator

Cheap to buy, and cheap to shoot! Good suggestion!
  19. marlin795

marlin795 New Member

I think I'll stick to the .22 for now. I have a good scope on it and can nail cans at 150 Yds.
  20. carver

carver Moderator

Cans don't shoot back!