What to carry everyday in my truck?

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by marlin795, Apr 10, 2012.

1. CJ_56

CJ_56 New Member

All good choices. Too bad we can't carry a loaded long gun in Ohio. I sometimes substitute a S&W 629 w/ 8 3/8" barrel on it. It has more range than a smooth bore shotgun and enough punch to get the job done and it's legal for those of us with a CCW. People think all shootouts take place at close range. Most do but not all. Not so long ago a group of drunken bums chased a family down the road for the horrible crime of passing them because they were driving 20 mph all over the road. They shot at them from a long distance too. It's probably true that a bunch of drunks isn't likely to hit anything even if they're close but that's not a risk I would like taking. Having something to shoot back is a good idea IMO. Too bad most governments don't understand that. Luckily they do in my area.

Marlin lever guns are hard to get anywhere right now. They have stopped production of them due to quality control issues after the move to the new factory and the new ownership. I'd be really careful about buying one if you did find it right now. I've wanted a 1895GBL in .45-70 for quite a while but I'm scared of buying a lever gun from Marlin right now and I know right where to find one. Apparently everyone else is scared to buy it too. It's been sitting in a shop for two years almost.
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  2. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

Get an AK, SKS, cheap AR for a beater truck gun. All three of them would be perfect for that job.
  3. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Cheap to buy, and cheap to shoot! Good suggestion!
  4. marlin795

marlin795 New Member

Calvary Chapel Conference Center; Murrieta,CA
    I think I'll stick to the .22 for now. I have a good scope on it and can nail cans at 150 Yds.
  5. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Cans don't shoot back!
  6. whirley

whirley Member

Even a .22 will stop a man, but you have to hit him about 8 inches below the belt buckle. Just thinking about it hurts.
  7. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

I bought the 795 for the son for christmas.I love it.
  8. savage170

savage170 Member

Of the three you have my choice would be the .22. Here is my truck gun a old Iver Johnson M1 carbine
    [​IMG]
  9. jce07a

jce07a New Member

ive been keeping my sub 2000 in the truck. i dont use those poor california mags though. its all about the high capacity 28 round glock mags. you could always go for something along the lines of the taurus judge, its compact and can be either the shotgun you like or it can be a .45. i personally also have a bond arms texas defender in the little bungie pocket of my seat covers of my truck.
  10. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

I would NOT put it in a gun rack for those to see like in the old days when it was "cool". Keep it out of sight and make it the 12 gauge, Slugs.OObuck and #4 shot.
  11. old semperfi

old semperfi Active Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    first off im a consealed permit holder(life time)i always carry anything from a government model to a na arms mini revolver in 22 mag.what i keep in my vehicle in usually a used 12 gauge police trade in.it is beat up and ugly but if it gets stolen im not out a bundle and it is vey dependable. old semperfi
  12. Regular Joe

Regular Joe New Member

AK is OK. Powerful enough to stop a truck. Carries "enough" ammo. Durable. Not cheap, but not expensive either. Works fer me.