what to think about purchasing

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by woobbie, Aug 12, 2010.

1. woobbie

woobbie New Member

Up until recently, we did not own any guns. Until there was an incident down the street where someone broke into a home in the middle of the night. We live in a very rural area, so to have something like this happen so close was very scary.:eek:

I have been telling my husband that we need to prepare for the possibility of a new civil war in this country never thinking that we would need anything in defense of someone breaking in. :eek: After the burglary incident, we purchased a shotgun. :cool: But I still do not feel comfortable with just a shotgun. I want to purchase at least one rifle and two handguns to have for protection as well. I have a 12 year old son and I would like to purchase something that both he and I could easily use if needed.

What type of rifle and handguns do you suggest I look into purchasing that would be easy for all of us to use? :confused:

I know a little bit about guns that my father taught me, but not much. I was never anti-gun, but I was a stupid liberal living in the clouds of la la land until September 11, 2001. That day changed my life forever, and I now understand why my father was like he was. I am glad he was not here to see that day, but I wish I could tell him I'm sorry for not understanding his beliefs and that he was 100% right! :eek::mad: Oh, well, it is what it is! And I really need some guidance about what I should be thinking about purchasing.

Any one able to help?

Thanks for reading "a newbies" request!:);)
  2. pinecone70

pinecone70 New Member

Rifles are bad choices for self-defense, given that the round can travel so far (and hit unintended targets), as well as the maneuverability issue of a long gun. A revolver may be a good choice, I'm sure others here will have suggestions. I carry a revolver daily (I hold a carry permit) and feel it is necessary even if I hope I never have to use it.

Welcome to the forum, you will get much information here from which to choose. :D
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
  3. USMCSpeedy

USMCSpeedy Member

Just an idea since you have not owned any guns before, you might want to consider looking around your area for a gun safety class that you're whole family could attend. Being safe and responsible with firearms is first and foremost with training and practice with the firearms of your choice being close behind.
  4. woobbie

woobbie New Member

Yes, I plan on taking some classes once I decide on what to purchase. I figured it would be better to practice with a firearm I will actually have on hand. I have shot guns before, and been around guns my entire life. My dad was very responsible with his and taught me gun safety. But still once I buy what I feel comfortable with, I want take classes for safety and do alot of practice target shooting!

My son wants to join the military when he is 18 and loves playing COD Modern Warfare, and the likes on his PS3, but I hadn't thought about having my son take any safety classes. Considering how much he loves his games and guns, that was pretty stupid of me! I was planning on making an appointment with a police or sherrif department so that he could see what happens when a person is shot for real.

Is my son old enough to take such safety and practice classes? Is there an age limit? He shoots the shot gun with his father, has a pellet gun, a bb gun, and several air soft guns, so he has been taught some safety. I have told him that if I feel he no longer fears or respects the power of guns, he will lose all of his "fun" guns and will never touch any type of gun, even a water gun, or own another while living in my home.

Thanks for the "family classes" suggestion. I was really only thinking about "me" before, now I will think about "us". We are all very safe with the fun guns and shotgun, but it never hurts to take additional classes or training!

Where do you suggest I look for classes? A local firing range, or through the sherriff or police department? Do gun dealers have such information usually?
  5. USMCSpeedy

USMCSpeedy Member

All of those would be great sources to check on classes. As far as an age requirement for your son, you could ask about that as well as there may differences from state to state.
  6. pinecone70

pinecone70 New Member

Inquire at your local law enforcement office, they know where the classes are.
  7. woobbie

woobbie New Member

Will do, Thanks Guys.

I think this is going to be real fun for the family!
  8. Double Deuce

Double Deuce New Member

I have some of the same issues my wife and 12 year old boy are roughly the same height right now and trying to find rifles/shotguns that will fit them comfortably, here is my opinion and what I am looking at, I have full size FNP .45 and Mossberg 590A1 with knoxx adjustable stock and ghost ring sights for home defense right now and would like to add a carbine/rifle to that. In my opinion the .45 is the best home defense round. There are several carbines that shoot a .45 round but most of them dont carry more than 8-10 rounds, I would like at least 15 rounds with 20-30 being best. I have looked at the Beretta CX4, HK USP, and olympic arms carbine in .45. I really like the beretta the price and reviews on it are quite favorable but it only holds 8 rounds, the HK USC can be modified for 20 and 30 round clips but it is around 1,500 or more and the Olympic arms is about 1k as well and hold 10 and can be modified. I would like something that I dont have to modify after buying. I would like to have 2 so the beretta is probably what I will go with and hope they come out with higher capacity mags. Also hi point is supposed to come out with a .45 carbine in the near future.
    That is what I would like for home defense, I am also looking at .308 battle rifle to add to that when the SHTF. I am including some links to each gun listed.
    http://www.cx4storm.com/index.aspx?m=53&did=85
    http://www.hk-usa.com/civilian_products/usc_general.asp
    http://www.olyarms.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=56&category_id=7&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=37
    http://www.fnhusa.com/le/products/firearms/model.asp?fid=fnf020&gid=fng001&mid=FNM0123
    http://www.mossberg.com/products/default.asp?id=26

Edit: I just noticed you live in California so the hi capacity mags would be illegal there, the berretta may be a good fit for you.
  9. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Boy old enough? I started mine at 5 and his sister at 4. The sooner the better, get the lessons, let him learn correctly from the get go and it will be easier as he gets older and has to deal with the know nothing types.

Rifle, I suggest a lever action carbine, a pistol caliber carbine will let you shoot the magnum loads with little discomfort and the light loads cheaper and more often because they don't beat you up.

Even long after I reached retirement age I still enjoy my pellet guns and 22's for the sheer fun factor and economy. Keeps my shooting eye in shape and my habits in place. Doesn't bother the locals as much either if they can't hear me.

Good luck and enjoy. It really doesn't matter much what you shoot as long as you enjoy it and short barrel or long if it is what you have in your hands during a self defense situation your local burglar guy is going to be unhappy about it.
  10. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
  11. woobbie

woobbie New Member

"Edit: I just noticed you live in California so the hi capacity mags would be illegal there, the berretta may be a good fit for you."

Yeah, but if the gun is legal here, then what they don't know about the mag's won't hurt 'em!;):;):cool:
  12. woobbie

woobbie New Member

As long as there is no reason for anyone to check, I would be safe! And since I am not a criminal, then there would be no reason someone would need to check. Unless, I had to defend myself, but by the time anyone got here, the hi cap mag would disappear.
  13. pinecone70

pinecone70 New Member

Wouldn't you have to go out of state to purchase high-cap mags though?
  14. woobbie

woobbie New Member

Yes. But I have a time share in North Lake Tahoe and go yearly, so running into Nevada wouldn't be too hard. Plus, my mom is moving to Oregon soon, so I would have my ways. I'm not saying I would positively do it, but like I said, if the gun is legal, I see no good reason why I should be restricted on mag size, other than the fact that this state is run by a bunch of idiots who want to infringe on my legal rights! Our politicans certainly do not care about what we have voted in, so IMHO, why should I care if they feel the need to tell me I can't have hi cap mags? They ignore me, I ignore them. Perhaps all of us in Cali should take the same attitude of ignoring the politicans. Maybe they will get the message that way, because, obviously our VOTES don't count for much in their eyes.
    But that is just my opinion. Of course I do not want to get into trouble and I do have to think about my son. Most of the time, I am a good girl and don't take a hardline stance. But, I just don't see the point in restricting mag sizes if the actual gun is legal. Kind of stupid, like an oxymoron. It certainly doesn't stop the criminals, just the law abiding people. And since I don't get in trouble anyother way, I think I would be safe if I did chose to go out of state and make a purchase. I don't know, I will certainly have to noodle it before making my decision.
  15. pinecone70

pinecone70 New Member

Well, just don't get caught. ;)
  16. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    i would suggest a ruger single six for learning pistol shooting,they are safer for teaching and learning than semi autos and ammo is cheap.from there i would look into a ruger blackhawk and a lever action rifle that shoots the same ammo in 44 mag or 357. old semperfi
  17. The_Rifleman

The_Rifleman New Member

That is the best reason to go the legal route. You only need to get a weapon suited for the job, then to become proficient with it.

I suggest a 357 with a 6 inch barrel. Plenty of power, simplistic in it's operation and if it is heavy enough, (6 inch barrel,) will have less of a kick than a shorter barrel. I have an 8 inch barrel on mine and I hold it gingerly while shooting.

You might be able to rent different types of firearms at your local range, that would be a good way to figure out what you might like.

There are a lot of different grips you can buy for handguns. I would choose a handgun type that has enough stopping power, then buy the grips that fit your hand/hands.

Look into 38 special, 9mm, 357 magnum, pistols; anything smaller might not be enough, anything larger might be too much for you to handle.

If you get a rifle for a civil war scenario... Consider a lever action 30-30; it is a joy to shoot, has enough power to stop anyone at short to medium range, accurate enough to hit them at those ranges and you can find new ones for around $400.
    If you have the money, get a semi-auto in 308 or larger.
  18. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

I like the Idea of getting the Carbine. For instance get ya a nice 9MM auto and then purchase a Carbine in the same caliber for simplisity of use. 1 Ammo two firearms. I would definately advise on the High Point Carbine. I had a chance to shoot one and I have to say it was better than I expected and it was nicely equipped for under $3oo w/ a light and laser and trust me at 6oft it didnt vary from where the laser put the dot very far.
  19. zaxx

zaxx New Member

Woobbie,

I'd like to suggest that you and your family take the basic firearms safety class before you decide to purchase any particular firearm.

Firearms represent a significant investment. Often, folks buy what they think they need only to find they were mistaken. Things such as physical limitations and the ability to manipulate the firearm under duress are serious considerations. A "basic" class may expose you to the considerations of others as well as give you insight to your own needs. i.e., the more exposure you have, the better informed you are - therefore, better able to make wise decisions.

Best of luck!