What to use when the targets run out...

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting Forum' started by wpage, Apr 5, 2010.

1. wpage

wpage Active Member

At the range its one thing or the other. Guns bullets staples etc. What do you use when you forgot the targets or run out of targets?
  2. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

wpage, good question!
    Around where I usually shoot, about 100 yards from my house that's not a problem.
    But when out, I usually have a cooler with pop or water and or both in it. I do and have resorted to cans and plastic bottles.
    But at one range in particular I go to from time to time, they have a trash can set up and people leave alot of things to shoot at! (usaully it's still on the ground)
    And one thing I have actually done, was went out beyond the range and scavage for clay targets. I know last summer we went out and ran out and we found I couldnt tell ya how many un broken clay targets laying way out there. And there is always emty shot gun shells laying about...they work when desperate...desperate times calls for desperate measures some times! :D
  3. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

I'm hanging metal plates on chains at my backyard range, Shoot off the porch. I cut down 2 big spruce, 16 foot long, sink 4 foot in. Called Ak steel and they have 1/2 hardened plate in small pieces pretty cheap. We've used steel before and it's nice hearing the hit on metal. I'd never buy the commercial ones, high priced.
  4. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Same here, but I do use the commercial steal targets. I have also hung some plow shares, and disk blades in some of the trees. Pistol bullets bounce off except in the .44 mag class, and up. Rifles shoot through them too. But you do get a ring with each hit. Shoot a plow share in a small sweet gum tree (20 footer) with the 308, thought the whole tree was going to come down, shook it hard.

As to the original post, I have used many things for targets down thru the years. Don't shoot glass of any kind any more. But still shoot empty brass, like .22 cases, and shotgun shells. Will even shoot pistol cases that I don't reload. The .22's make for a real challenge at distance!
  5. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

I haven't bought targets in years due to their large size. I use printer paper and buy rolls or sheets of different sized round stickers : 4 in down to 1/2 in.

Stick a 4" circle on a sheet of the paper and you have a good rifle target for up to 400 yds. The 2' make good pistol targets for 25 to 50 yds. and the 1/2" are good for .22. Plus you can stick several on one sheet of paper. Inexpensive and less clean up. Plus by focusing on small targets, your accuracy will improve.
  6. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

Balloons, pick your size. :D

Ya, there is a bit of cleanup involved, but it sure gets people (and KIDS) interested, when shooting "reactive" targets.

Oh wait, we take these AS targets, you said when the targets run out. Oops.
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2010
  7. wpage

wpage Active Member

Great feedback at my club range its interesting to see all the things that folks use...
    Even when we provide targets and everything needed to shoot,....
    After counting the shot out beer cans and misc & sundry items (probley cause of all the beer) they forgot the free targets.
    Its bowling pins, balloons, pots & pans...
    Its a great country we live in. God Bless America! Still inventive since 1776...
  8. zfk55

zfk55 New Member

We don't run out. Ever. We make our own pretty darned cheaply. We use the wide format Digital Printer (we use it for photographic billboard mfg) and run them in all sizes and profiles as simple adhesive backed decals all printed on economy vinyl film. They end up costing a lot less than actual bought targets.
    If you take 8.5"x11" sheets of paper to the range, or even old cardboard and these decals you'll never run out.

[​IMG]

The bigger ones are 12" that we use at 1,000 yards. Others are for 100, 200, 300 and 500 yards.

Our target framework is a 4' x 10' and this is the 100 yard ShootShed for use in winter. It gets pretty cold here and we don't stop shooting all year long.
    This one was during construction of the first one at the 100 yard pad. You can see the target framework downrange.

[​IMG]

This one has a firing port and tunnel, and it stays quiet and warm inside. We use Sonex for sound deadening.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This was before we installed the wall acoustic paneling and the new shooting bench.

[​IMG]

We have three shooting pads. One at 100, 300 and 500 yards. For 1,000 yards we have to shift over to the neighboring ranch.

Anyway, these printed decals can be rolled up on the paper carrier and taken to the range with plain old paper and used when you need a new target.

We also print full 4'x8' sheets of targets.

[​IMG]
  9. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Wow! That give "deluxe facility" a whole new meaning. Someone has to have the best and I think I was just looking at it. Very, very nice.
  10. zfk55

zfk55 New Member

Thanks, Todd. I don't know how deluxe it is, but we've had a range on our place since before I was born. We're going to build a new backstop soon. The one behind the framework now is earth mixed with logs. There's a 15 foot wooded rise behind it now, but we'll be putting 4 20' long upright treated logs into the ground 12' apart with a 3' depth front to back. We'll load the whole thing with Larch logs horizontally. That will make the Sheriff's certification Deputy feel better. We're having to register it as a private range now because a few city slickers are building homes a mile or so down the valley and sooner or later their delicate ears will be assaulted. :(:D
  11. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

zfk55,Extremely nice, all the way around!
  12. The_Rifleman

The_Rifleman New Member

That is a great set-up zfk55! Cool!
  13. scudrunner

scudrunner New Member

I am in AWE with your set up zkf55!!!!!

Thanks for sharing!
  14. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    We had that happen here. North of the city of Shreveport, LA there was an old, and well established shooting range. As the people moved out in that direction they began to complain about the noise, and the possible danger of a stray bullet. As the population in that area grew, so did the complaints. Till finially the City shut down the range. Made a lot of folks mad that used this range. I suppose that if enough folks moved in around Barksdale AFB, and started complaining about the noise from the planes, and the possible danger of one falling on a house, the City would probably shut it down too! Stupid people! If you move next door to an airport, or shooting range, there will be noise! If you don't like the noise, then move!!!!

I do like the set up folks have.
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2010
  15. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Wow, Carver that is sad news about shutting down that old range. I had a camp and then a home on Toledo Bend for many years and really enjoyed the permissive attitude about the shooting, hunting and fishing sports in Louisiana. The fact the Libs have caused the shutting down of a range in Louisiana and getting testy in Montana is a scary thing to me. Got someone building a new home close to my play ground so now you have me worried.