What was the first .22 you actually owned?

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by accident, Jan 21, 2010.

1. prof_fate

prof_fate Former Guest

Glenfield (Marlin) model 25, still have it, still shoot it. Great gun.
  2. kybeagle

kybeagle New Member

Mine was a Marlin 39A Golden purchased new in 1964. I kept it for over 30 years and then sold it for some stupid reason. I recently had the opportunity to replace it with a 1956 model and, needless to say, had to pay a bunch more than the new one cost in 1964!
  3. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Marlin 60 my parents gave me for Christmas when I was 14 or so. It has an inexpensive scope and my brother is keeping it now.

Learned to shoot with Dad's old Stevens Favorite single shot .22 a few years before that.
  4. knucklebuster

knucklebuster New Member

My first was a Mod. 38 marlin .22 cal.pump that I still use. It's accurate and the rifle will hold 15 shells.
  5. norahc

norahc Active Member

An hour's drive from the nearest McDonald's
    First one that I've personally owned is the S&W MP 15-22 I got a few weeks ago.
  6. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Welcome to the forum, knucklebuster. Enjoy the place, the people, and the discussions.
  7. pickles

pickles New Member

Winchester mod 67 for my, Christmas present in 1956 from my Dad. It burnt up in my brothers house fire. I currently own a 67.
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  8. Bocc44

Bocc44 New Member

Mine was a Marlin 39a with the gold trigger. I got it for Christmas when I was 7, so about 1976. I still have it. Talk about a happy kid, I was much happier than the kid who got a bike. :D:D:D

Funny thing, my dad wouldn't let me own a BB gun, but gave me a 22 for Christmas. Father knows best.
  9. Montanaoffroader

Montanaoffroader New Member

Firearms International "Bronco", single shot .22 rifle. Received as a birthday gift from my Dad, he went to buy me a pellet rifle and found this little .22 for less money. IIRC, he paid $12 for it NIB. My oldest daughter now owns this rifle.

The first rifle I fired was also my Dad's first gun, a Winchester Model 67 built around 1935. He bought it himself and paid $7 for it back in the day. I now own this one, it will eventually go to my younger daughter.
  10. Lee D

Lee D New Member

Ithaca model 49 .22 magnum
  11. korny351

korny351 New Member

My dad and I went canoeing out of Ely, MN in '68. When We got back to the outfitters (Bill Rom's Canoe Country) they had a sweet little Colt Huntsman behind the counter. My dad looked it over and we walked out the door with it for $45. This was the first firearm in our house. I was 17 at the time. Years later my dad offered it to me for that same $45. Dad has gone but that Colt is still in my safe. It'll probably go to my son-in-law when I'm gone.
  12. Hawg

Hawg Well-Known Member

My dad bought me a Belgium made Browning when I was three. He always said it was mine but I didn't get to take complete possession of it until I was 11. I traded it back to him for a Winchester when I was 12 like a dumass. Anyhow my first I had complete possession of was an FIE Buffalo Scout I got for my tenth birthday.
  13. CJ_56

CJ_56 New Member

My first .22 was (and I still have it) a Stevens 15-A. It's a single shot, bolt action that shoots shorts, longs and LR's. That was actually a big deal back when that rifle first made it into the family. We would almost always buy shorts at the local general store because they were cheaper than LR's. I'm talking 50 cents vs. 75 cents or something like that for a box of 50. We would pool our money to get enough ammo to hunt for a while. The gun was willed to my dad by our neighbor (back when it meant something to be a neighbor). My brother hunted with it and plinked with it for about 15 years. Both of my older brothers moved out and bought their own rifles while I was still in school. So dad gave me that rifle since I didn't have one. He gave me a shotgun too which I recently gave to my daughter. Both have been great guns for the 35 years or so I have been using them. I have a bunch of other guns now of course but I value those guns more than all the rest put together. I told my daughter she needed to treat those guns the way I did and make sure they stay in working order. That means getting them re-blued like I did. Both should last her the rest of her life and more. They were built to last in the time those guns were made.
  14. bryanr1

bryanr1 New Member

Springfield model 53-b my dad gave me 31 years ago and I still have. Same gun my son learned to shoot with
  15. nffritos

nffritos Active Member

New 1975 S&W model 41 sold it 2 yrs ago