1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

What was the first .22 you actually owned?

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by accident, Jan 21, 2010.

1. MichiganShootist

MichiganShootist New Member

It was a Winchester model 290 Deluxe with a 2X Weaver scope.

Guess what......???????

I still have it after nearly 50 years. Damn thing killed a ton of squirrels.:)
  2. whatugawkinat

whatugawkinat New Member

My first .22 I actually bought and owned was a Winchester model 121 single shot bolt action with a fixed 4 power scope. Paid $75. This was two days ago actually. I've shot my dads Remington Speedmaster countless times, but decided to buy me a .22 to get down and serious with. I've only shot with a scope once and can't exactly afford to shoot the other guns I own as much as I want :D
  3. zachp

zachp New Member

The first .22 I ever owned was a Remington Viper with a small Simmons scope that my dad bought with my money for me after i finished my hunters safety course. I shot that thing so much I wore it out and sent it in to Remington to be repaired, they called and said they couldnt fix it and would send me a new 597 for $100. Sadly I sold that 597 to a friend that will never let me live down the fact that its a tact driver and he keeps it. Told him if he ever gets rid of it I get first dibs.
  4. Deacon_Man

Deacon_Man Member

My first .22 was a bolt action single shot Stevens (used gun I paid $10.00 for in 1959). I was 14 years old at the time. I could lay on my belly on my dads front porch and strike a kitchen match without knocking it over about 60 feet away. I was a damn good shot when I was a kid. I walked through the woods one mile to school every day and carried my .22 so I could hunt going and comming. I had a place to hide it near the old water tower next to the school. Life was really good back in the fifties.
  5. noslolo

noslolo New Member

The first .22 that I owned was a Buckmark that I bought in 94-95. a few years later I got my grandfathers Remington 514. I always considered that to be my first, because I grew up with it.
  6. CCHolderinMaine

CCHolderinMaine Well-Known Member

Mine was what a lot of people's first .22 was. A Ruger 10/22.
  7. KWA22

KWA22 New Member

A savage stevens m15-b. single shot bolt. made between 1943 and 48. could hit a golf ball at 200yds and never jammed! lol not bad for a 60+ year old .22

+1 for Deacon_Man
    Last edited: May 5, 2012
  8. CJ_56

CJ_56 New Member

This is getting to be contagious or something. The first .22 I actually owned was a Stevens 15-B single shot. It had been in the family for at least 15 years before that and my neighbor owned it before that and left it in his will to my dad. Dad always had so many rifles around I mostly learned on a Marlin 60 but when my older brothers moved out they picked out the ones they liked and took them along. They left the Stevens behind and I ended up with it. I couldn't be happier with it though. My brother must have killed 500 squirrels with that rifle. He loved it. It is still a very accurate rifle and probably will be for another 150 years. It's so simple the only thing that could go wrong would be to wear out the barrel and that will take a while with a single shot .22. It's still one of the most accurate .22's I own. My only complaint is there's nowhere to mount a scope and my eyes are getting too old to shoot it like I once did. I've owned that rifle for about 35 years. Dad owned it another 15 and my neighbor about 10 so it's been around the neighborhood for a long time and it's still in good condition. Those rifles are built to last for sure. They're also built to be accurate.
  9. hstout1143

hstout1143 Well-Known Member

My first was a Marlin model 60 I got for my 11th birthday, I still have it . My sons learned to shoot with it.
  10. azimuth

azimuth New Member

My first was a Winchester model 250 lever action rifle. Got it from Mom and Dad for my birthday when I was a kid and still have it today. I've drug it (what seems like) all over the state of Texas and it shows with 40 years worth of scratches, bruises and worn off bluing. Handy, accurate and never gave me a moments worth of trouble all these years.
  11. KWA22

KWA22 New Member

What are the odds of that! Great little rifle, i regret the day i sold it. But mine had a 11mm dove tail on top of the receiver. I think they were so accurate was because the barrel and receiver were 1 piece. I shot it so much my thumbs hurt from cocking it each shot. Mine had a barrel cut to 16" with a threaded muzzle.
  12. Rugermanws

Rugermanws Member

In 1976 I turned 21, I went and bought a Ruger 6 7/8 Mark I and a Colt Trooper Mark III. Still have the Ruger, sold the Colt to buy my Python, which I still own as well.
    Last edited: May 6, 2012
  13. Dan01

Dan01 Former Guest

1963 Ruger Standard with 5 1/2 inch barrel

Attached Files:

14. CJ_56

CJ_56 New Member

I've never seen one with a dovetail on it. That's strange. +1 on the one piece design making it accurate. You just can't get the same stiffness out of a rifle if it isn't a single shot and all cut from a single piece of steel. Plus it is so simple there aren't going to be any problems with the firing pin not striking the bullets correctly. Heck a person could replace the firing pin on those rifles with a nail and make it work well if they really needed to. It's still the most simple design for a rifle I've ever seen.
  15. Rugermanws

Rugermanws Member

Just for asking how many numbers in your serial number. I have my father's Ruger and it has 4 numbers. His I believe was made 1949-1950.