What was the first .22 you actually owned?

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by accident, Jan 21, 2010.

1. CJ_56

CJ_56 New Member

A Stevens 15-B from the early 50's (the rifle, not me :) ). Dad gave it to me after it bounced around the neighborhood and the family for about 30 years. I still have it and I will still have it until I die or I give it to one of my kids. I already gave away my shotgun dad gave me to my daughter for the same reason dad gave it to me - for HD. It was another one of those family guns that had belonged to half the family before I got it. But I needed it at the time. I was in college and broke as it gets. I lived in a rough neighborhood during the summer so dad fixed me up with some genuine home protection - a 20 ga. Mossberg, bolt action, poly choke, shotgun. I had ir hot blued about 20 years ago. It needs it again. It still works great and it's about perfect for my daughter.
  2. stumpjumper

stumpjumper Member

marlin model 60 . loved that gun.
  3. cpt-t

cpt-t New Member

MARLIN 39A: I bought it is 1963, first gun I bought with my own money. Still have it and still hunt with it. The rifle still shoots as good or better than when it was new. I have carried that rifle many a mile and taken, alot of small game and varmints with it. I am still very proud of my old Marlin 39A. ken
  4. dave72

dave72 New Member

Savage cant remeber what model it,s been that long since i had it
  5. 4kdave

4kdave New Member

Just joined the forum so I will jump in here with my first .22 which I still own.
    It is a Remington Fieldmaster 121 w/ Weaver K2.5 Scope. Has taken lots of tree rats over the years.
  6. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

4kdave, Welcome to the forum from across the pond. This is a great group with friendly helpful members. We like to shoot, to discuss a wide variety of subjects and generally help each other out. We like a good laugh too. Just beware...the place can become addicting. Enjoy.
  7. papa vid

papa vid New Member

Marlin 881.. just bought it last week for my 48th birthday.... what can I say, I'm always late to the best parties...
  8. B27

B27 New Member

Marlin 39A.
    I saved up my paper route money.
    It cost $99 brand new and included a 3/4 inch Marlin 4x scope.

Ammo cost 79 cents per box of fifty in those days.
  9. readyholster

readyholster New Member

For female shooters, it's often best to get the feel of shooting a gun by shooting something easy to shoot like a .22. Then move on to something more powerful like a 9mm. This list of 10 guns is a great guide to help female shooters find a good hand gun.
  10. GLS_1956

GLS_1956 New Member

Stoeger Luger I bought it off of friend for $25.00. About 1974
  11. johnny ringo

johnny ringo Member

Marlin model 39a. 22s,l & lr Given to me when I was about 12 or so (almost 60 years ago). Still have it
  12. huntingbro.

huntingbro. New Member

Mine is a Marlin xt-22 that my dad gave me several months ago. I was just shooting it today and my tightest group was 3/4". It's a great 22lr for $200. I actually got 2 squirrels so far this year.:D
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  13. PMK

PMK Former Guest

1936 Remington Model 41 "The Targetmaster". Single shot. Bolt action. Open sights. Can drive roofing nails with it at 25 yards. If ever there was a .22 sniper rifle, this is it!
  14. btown

btown Member

Man it's more fun reading about these 22's than watching TV. My first was a military training carbine in .22,8-shot clip, ramp sights. Very accurate.
  15. mach1.3

mach1.3 New Member

When I was 10 my Dad gave me his old Remington 550-1. I still have it and it shoots great. In my teens I bought a Winchester Model 74(the LR only version) from one of my Dad's friends. That was the first .22 I paid for myself. I still have that one too. In comparison, I prefer the 550-1 trigger to the 74's but both rifles will shoot well and accurately. Many squirrels and rabbits have met there end from those guns---a couple of coyotes too.