The Firearms Forum banner

What was the first .22 you actually owned?

83K views 457 replies 381 participants last post by  TyeDye1971 
#1 ·
Growing up in south GA.,bird hunting was king (bobwhites and doves).I had a.410 first at age 6.My first .22 the next christmas was a marlin/glenfield semi-auto.It looked like a .30 cal m1carbine,but i can't recall the model#.It was new,made in 1966.

#2 ·
An Italian made Bison. 22lr/22wmr cowboy six gun. Nickel. At the time they were $99 new and I got this one for $60 off a buddy. I was 12 and mom was very upset. Dad thought it was cool though. I had access to dads guns for hunting, but this one was my first very own gun.

#3 ·
ist at 5 years old was a single shot marlin with cocking type bolt.i still have it.next was essex 410 shotgun,i still have that also.by the time i was 10 or 12 i had i think 8 different guns.now i have over 100.the carbine type marlin that looks similar to m-1 carbine,i have three of.i have rebuilt and refinished a number of these little guns,because i give them to kids in the family old semperfi

#8 ·
Marlin Model 60 when I was 11 I think for Christmas. I put about 500,000 rounds through it, sold it to a buddy and bought another #60. Then a Model 39A take down, then a Model 25MN .22 WMR bolt action.

Unfortunately, I sold the 39A and wish I still had it. I had a Taurus .22 revolver and Browning BuckMark that I wish I still had too. I bought a S&W 22A and still have my Colt .22 Peacemaker and High Standard that was my Grandma's.

I bought one of the Henry .22 lever actions, but now wish I had got it in .22WMR instead.

#9 ·
THANKS for the memories.I wish i still had that old marlin carbine.Just me and that gun spent vast amounts of time together,just me and that gun.Man i wish i still had it.

#12 ·
J. C. Higgens single shot rifle.

#14 ·
You know, I never really thought about it, but I didn't own a .22 myself for a long time. My first gun was a hunting rifle in .308, followed by more hunting rifles, handguns and a shotgun. I didn't actually "own" a .22 until 2008, when I bought a Savage Anschutz sporter rifle. A great gun to start a .22 collection with!

I always had .22's to shoot, because I've bought enough of them for my son, and I had access to my dad's guns, until I got a little too fond of his Browning 52 and he locked it in his gun safe so I couldn't drool on it any more.

#15 ·
My first......
My father purchased a Marlin model 56 levermatic for me when I was abot 10 years old. Love it!!!! I still have it and have added a 57M, someday I hope to add the third of the levermatic's to my collection.

#19 · (Edited)
From 1948 to 1952, my Dad was Winchester-Western's rep for Arizona, New Mexico and West Texas. The 3d bedroom of our Phoenix GI Bill tract house was the "safe" room for at least one, usually 2 or 3, of everything Winchester made in those years and the ammunition for all the demonstrators. When my brother and I were 5 and 6, respectively, Dad cut down the stocks and barrels for two Models 47 that became our first "owned" firearms as Christmas presents in 1949. Amazingly enough, brother and I still have them in our collections. Every year I go off to the range alone and spend some time shooting it and Dad's 1955 Model 70 Featherweight (.308 Win) while recflecting on the "good ole days." My favorites from the vintage were Models 61 (long since gone from Dad's collection) and 63 (which he hasn't consented to surrender to my custody--yet; after all, he's only 88).

#22 ·
My first .22 was a charter arms AR7 I bought new in '80. I have worn out the receiver, the bolt, recoil springs and broke one of the stocks(all replaced with new many years ago). I still have the rifle and it still shoots exceptionally well. My son enjoys shooting it from time to time.

#26 ·
My first .22 was a PPK/s. I had it for years and, alas, the old horse trading started, and I traded it for some thing I later traded away again. Such is gun collecting. TJ

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.