The Firearms Forum banner

What was the first .22 you actually owned?

83K views 457 replies 381 participants last post by  TyeDye1971 
#1 ·
Growing up in south GA.,bird hunting was king (bobwhites and doves).I had a.410 first at age 6.My first .22 the next christmas was a marlin/glenfield semi-auto.It looked like a .30 cal m1carbine,but i can't recall the model#.It was new,made in 1966.

#77 ·
The first 22 I owned was a Remington single shot set up in a military fashion. My Dad shot 3rd over then entire European Theater in 1959/60 and is distinguished. He gave me the gun at my 16th birthday. He later gave me a double barreled 12 ga stevens 511 for my 18th birthday. Only thing was I could not shoot either often. They remained with me for years until I traded each for something else-better. Dad and I still shoot 22's. He can still put 5 under a dime. He is now 75 this year. We both shoot rather well, however as age is always the factor; iron sights are rough at 100 yards. Yes we shoot 100 yards 22 at steel targets to ..."ding" for fun. Scopes make it rather fun. Iron sights are a little more tricky! The best 22 I have is a Springfield 4-digit military trainer, retrofitted out of a 30-06.

Anyone know much about Springfield trainers? This one has a shorter barrel than what the books tell you are norm. All the lettering is where it belongs. The length of the barrel is about 1" or 1-1/4" shorter. It was an M2 retrofit with a hollow ball locking bolt. The bolt is etched with the 4-diget serial number of the 22. I traced it back to Springfield, and they did verify it is a trainer. Beyond that, I have not much of an idea?

#78 ·
The first one I owned is the Marlin 795. Neat li'l gun but has a couple issues that, I think, are ironed out, though the mags might still be a problem.

#79 ·
New to forum and am thoroughly enjoying this opportunity to revisit some of the best times of my life.

First any-gun for me was a Mossy mod 152, very early 50's, on working dairy farm in north Louisiana. Life was sweet with that best of all possession.

So much so that no farmer in the entire area ever needed to bury a dead cow, which in my objective view was obviously world class buzzard bait. I'd haul 'em back on a flatbed trailer and place them logistically in heavily wooded areas on our property whereupon I endeavored mightily, year after year, to nail a buzzard in a fair fight. Might have tagged those suckers now and then but never saw one fall. To this very day I am convinced that it was the ever watchful sentinel buzzard, the one which perched high in a nearby tree keeping a wary eye for stealthily approaching punk-ass little kid armed with plink-power, who defeated me time after time when he gave the bug-out alarm to his feathered friends down in the bushes. The Mossy 152 was largely responsible for my treasured childhood call sign, Buzzard Bait, which has stuck to me even in this advancing stage of medicare eligible maturity. :D :D :D :D

Buzzard Bait (a/k/a Doc)

Attachments

#80 ·
When my grandfather died in the early fifties I ended up with a single shot bolt action "Simmons" .22 rifle made in Germany.

It was a small rifle with slim and trim lines.

The extractor didn't work but you could dig the shell out with a pocket knife.

It was a neat little gun but too much trouble to go through for each shot.

I tried to get parts for it by couldn't find any or anyone who knew what it was. I eventually traded it off for something else.

#81 ·
I was in my 20s when I spied a rifle at yard sale in the late 70s. It was a J.C. Higgins Model 42DL with a 4x and J.C. Higgins scope for $40. The man said it had been sitting in a closet since the early 1960s and had only seen 100 rounds or so. I snatched it up and it is still one of my favorites all these years later. It is actually a Marlin Model 80 and the scope is a Weaver with 14k gold trim. A beautiful little gun.

#82 ·
My 1st 22 was my 1st gun...when I turned 12.
My dad purchased for me from Scheels hardware, a new Savage M-24 .22lr / 20 ga ou. Still have it. That was 1978. Plugged a lot of Huns and gophers, 1 coyote & 1 badger with it.
What an awesome morning to wake up and see that thing leaning in the corner of our kitchen!

#84 ·
New to TFF also...

Marlin Papoose

12 years old, all the Christmas presents open, and done with breakfast. Dad walked out to the driveway, and returned shortly with a box that was too short to be a rifle, too long for a handgun. Opened it up and it was COLD, to the point of condensing when brought into the warm house. At 16 I got to keep it in my room. I will never forget those two moments in my life.

Still got to this day and hopefully will pass it to my only son when he is ready.

#85 ·
The first .22 I ever actually owned is my Marlin Model 25N bolt-action rifle. It has a 7-round magazine and a barrel with microgroove rifling. I had a nice leather sling installed on it and it remains a great shooter. I still enjoy shooting it. :)

You can read my review and see some pictures here:
A Rifle Review: The Marlin 25N - A Classic .22 Rifle

#86 ·
My first rifle was a Sears 25 auto (High Standard A1041) as a Christmas gift from my dad in 1963 (I was 12). Loaned it to a friend in 1968 and someone stole it. Always wanted to relace it, and last week I did, from a seller on GunsAmerica. This one is identical and in perfect condition. Found another at a local gun show, and now have 2. With 4 grandkids, I think I'll find a few more to pass on.

#96 ·
I grew up shooting my dads winchester mod 06 gallery gun. One of the most accurate guns I have ever shot to this day.
In 59 I was 17 and decided to buy my own which was the Remington Nylon 66.
I still have it and shoot it regularly.
I have now gotten enough of them to give one to each of my grandkids when they are old enough. I gave one to a granddaughter and one to a grandson on their birthdays this year.
9 more to go.
One of the toughest guns ever made and extremely accurate and seem never to wear out. I used my 66 on my beaver and bobcat/ coyote trap line and when I went in the service my younger brother took it over and used it until I got home in 66.
I have no idea how many thousands of rounds this gun has fired but it still a tack driver.
UF

#97 ·
My first 22 was a J.C. Higgins model 36 semi auto manufactured in the late 1930's. This was used by my father as a vermit rifle around the farm long before I was a gleam in their eyes. He gave me the rifle in 1947 as a reward for completing the 8th grade. I was now a proud owner of a 410, a 12 ga and a 22. Still have the shotguns but the 22 was traded for some no name revolver in the early 50's.

#100 ·
New to forum. Just bought my first 22lr pistol - MKII. Put 50 rds thru without a hiccup. Went home and took apart to clean and spent next 3 hours learning how to put back together. Biggest problem was aligning receiver grip and grip frame in order to install bolt stop pin. Then the fun of dealing with the final assembly. Hello to all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.