What was the first .22 you actually owned?

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by accident, Jan 21, 2010.

1. omalon

omalon New Member

JC Higgins Model 31 bought in 1954 at age 12 and still have it....Great Gun.
  2. RevMrEd59

RevMrEd59 New Member

My first .22 was a Marlin/Glenfield model 20. It was a Christmas gift; I was 13. That was 37 years ago. I couldn't begin to count the ammo that has gone down the barrel of that old rifle, but I still have it, and still enjoy shooting it. At 30 yards you can shoot all day long through a quarter-sized hole. It was also the gun my son learned to shoot with. Ahhhh, the memories!
  3. Boofie

Boofie New Member

omalon
    Ah yes, i to can remember the day when at 12 years old I could go to the general store, buy a Stevens 15 for $14.95, and a box of Remington shorts for a quarter.

My first 22 rimfire was a Stevens 15, bolt single shot, big button on back of bolt you pulled back to cock, and the barel/receiver were one piece. It lived through untold boxes of Remington shorts. When I had high dollars, I would blow 35 cents on a box of Peters Long Rifle, but not very often.
  4. Dean

Dean New Member

A JC Higgins model 42D. My dad purchased it for me at a Sears store. I had worked all summer and saved $12. for a 22. When we got to the store all that would buy was a single shot. The guy behind the gun counter,(yes, Sears had gun counters in those days) said, "I think the boy needs a repeater" and added the $1.50 more out of his own pocket for the purchase. I still have the rifle and it still shoots as well as the newer models after thousands of rounds.
  5. wyoredot

wyoredot New Member

Well, for me it was a Nylon 66 that I worked all summer for. My uncle bought it and taught me how to shoot. Probably a million rounds thru that old relic!
  6. rancherodad

rancherodad New Member

southern Ohio black birds and ground hogs older brothers had sears bolt tube feed but I bought an RG six gun not very accurate or even safe after the first thousand round the trigger got seriously hairy but with care and a rest black birds would fall I think I paid 27.50 oh the good old days :)
  7. Pixcutter

Pixcutter New Member

My Dad bought me a Remington Nylon 12 (tube fed bolt action) that he put a 4X Weaver scope on. I loved it and it gave me some memories of dad I still have. Sadly, my house was robbed and that was one of the items taken. I miss that rifle.
  8. Gabulldog

Gabulldog New Member

My first was a Browning BL22 purchased when I was a senior in high school. I had to hide that rifle while at home as my mother would get on her soap box even mentioning a firearm. Bought it from JC Pennys when they still had a sporting goods section. Cost a whopping $70.00.
  9. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Marlin 60 with the little squirrel on the pistol grip. had a 22" bbl and a 17 rd mag tube...
  10. XR750

XR750 New Member

A Winchester Mod 68 Boys Rifle Single shot .22 short long and long rifle given to me at 8yrs old, it's still in my closet. Thanks Dad you started something that I've had all my life.
    XR750
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2010
  11. lugesm

lugesm New Member

I, too, grew up in South GA (Pelham to be exact), and every boy there had a 22 rifle by the time he was 12 or 14.

My first rifle was a Winchester, bolt action, single-shot, given to my by an older brother when I was 12 years old. I loved that little gun, and many a squirrel fell to it.

An interesting point: Even as little boys, we knew that one should NEVER shoot on the level with a 22 rifle, even if a tempting squirrel was playing on the side of a tree. I never saw any boy violate that rule when I was growing up, and I never saw, nor did I hear of, any boy causing any problem with his rifle.
  12. Offshooter

Offshooter New Member

Marlin Model 60 with Bushnell 3-7x
    It magically became an assault rifle in NJ, so I had to remove the magazine tube and send it out of state or risk becoming a felon!
  13. pops42

pops42 New Member

high up on the blue ridge mountains of Va.
    mine was a marlin model 60 and it still shoots as good as it did when my dad bought it for me when i was 9 or 10 years old been so long i cant remember. and still shoot it every now and then but mostly it just sits in one of my gun safes.pops42:)
  14. Steve E

Steve E New Member

My first .22 was a Model 67 Winchester bolt action single shot. It belonged to my Mama's Daddy who gave it to my Daddy then he gave it to me in the late 60's and it still lives with me.

Steve E.........
  15. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

Late 60's Winchester model 121, bolt action single shot.

Dad got one for each of us and we all still have them. It may be worth a hundred bucks, but I wouldn't sell it for a thousand.

I was shooting with some friends a few years ago, and my Winny with open sights was kicking their scoped 10/22s butts.:cool: And I was shooting Thunderbolts.:eek:
  16. zb338

zb338 New Member

My first .22 was the Remington Jr. Target. I forget the number. It had
    a beavertail forearm and lyman peep sights. I sold it later on in life; don't
    know why. I shot many bricks of ammo through that gun and basically
    learned how to shoot with it.
    Zeke
  17. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Active Member

A Squires-Bingham model 16...which my uncle now has.

Dang thing outshot my Ruger K10/22...so the 10/22 got traded.
  18. zx9rt1

zx9rt1 New Member

Marlin model 60. Best rabbit rifle I had as a young man. Still have that rifle.
  19. cisco1

cisco1 New Member

I bought my first.22 around 1959 for $ 15.00 from a neighbor. It was a Mossberg model 151m, still have it ,still shoot it.
    Cisco
  20. steve666

steve666 New Member

An old Stevens Favorite I was given at age 8:
    [​IMG]