What was the first .22 you actually owned?

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by accident, Jan 21, 2010.

1. MoeUSMC

MoeUSMC New Member

First .22 was a Westernfield bolt action with a tubular magazine. Birthday present from my parents in 1962 when I turned 12. Excellent rifle and have it to this day.
  2. jb4249

jb4249 New Member

Stevens rolling block single shot rifle, with an octagon barrel, long gone
  3. raveneap

raveneap New Member

JC Higgins semi rifle - around 1950 - age about 12.
  4. BobMcG

BobMcG Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Remington 512X Sportmaster. Still have it after four decades.
  5. big steve

big steve New Member

the good old ruger 10/22
  6. UncleFudd

UncleFudd Member

I grew up shooting my dads winchester mod 06 gallery gun. One of the most accurate guns I have ever shot to this day.
    In 59 I was 17 and decided to buy my own which was the Remington Nylon 66.
    I still have it and shoot it regularly.
    I have now gotten enough of them to give one to each of my grandkids when they are old enough. I gave one to a granddaughter and one to a grandson on their birthdays this year.
    9 more to go.
    One of the toughest guns ever made and extremely accurate and seem never to wear out. I used my 66 on my beaver and bobcat/ coyote trap line and when I went in the service my younger brother took it over and used it until I got home in 66.
    I have no idea how many thousands of rounds this gun has fired but it still a tack driver.
    UF
  7. chuckusaret

chuckusaret New Member

My first 22 was a J.C. Higgins model 36 semi auto manufactured in the late 1930's. This was used by my father as a vermit rifle around the farm long before I was a gleam in their eyes. He gave me the rifle in 1947 as a reward for completing the 8th grade. I was now a proud owner of a 410, a 12 ga and a 22. Still have the shotguns but the 22 was traded for some no name revolver in the early 50's.
  8. steve666

steve666 New Member

A Stevens Favorite when I was 6.
  9. renegadehood

renegadehood New Member

WINCHESTER MODEL 61

I NOW HAVE ABOUT 30 OF THEM!!!
  10. capndan

capndan New Member

New to forum. Just bought my first 22lr pistol - MKII. Put 50 rds thru without a hiccup. Went home and took apart to clean and spent next 3 hours learning how to put back together. Biggest problem was aligning receiver grip and grip frame in order to install bolt stop pin. Then the fun of dealing with the final assembly. Hello to all.
  11. omalon

omalon New Member

JC Higgins Model 31 bought in 1954 at age 12 and still have it....Great Gun.
  12. RevMrEd59

RevMrEd59 New Member

My first .22 was a Marlin/Glenfield model 20. It was a Christmas gift; I was 13. That was 37 years ago. I couldn't begin to count the ammo that has gone down the barrel of that old rifle, but I still have it, and still enjoy shooting it. At 30 yards you can shoot all day long through a quarter-sized hole. It was also the gun my son learned to shoot with. Ahhhh, the memories!
  13. Boofie

Boofie New Member

omalon
    Ah yes, i to can remember the day when at 12 years old I could go to the general store, buy a Stevens 15 for $14.95, and a box of Remington shorts for a quarter.

My first 22 rimfire was a Stevens 15, bolt single shot, big button on back of bolt you pulled back to cock, and the barel/receiver were one piece. It lived through untold boxes of Remington shorts. When I had high dollars, I would blow 35 cents on a box of Peters Long Rifle, but not very often.
  14. Dean

Dean New Member

A JC Higgins model 42D. My dad purchased it for me at a Sears store. I had worked all summer and saved $12. for a 22. When we got to the store all that would buy was a single shot. The guy behind the gun counter,(yes, Sears had gun counters in those days) said, "I think the boy needs a repeater" and added the $1.50 more out of his own pocket for the purchase. I still have the rifle and it still shoots as well as the newer models after thousands of rounds.
  15. wyoredot

wyoredot New Member

Well, for me it was a Nylon 66 that I worked all summer for. My uncle bought it and taught me how to shoot. Probably a million rounds thru that old relic!