The Firearms Forum banner

What was the first .22 you actually owned?

83K views 457 replies 381 participants last post by  TyeDye1971 
#1 ·
Growing up in south GA.,bird hunting was king (bobwhites and doves).I had a.410 first at age 6.My first .22 the next christmas was a marlin/glenfield semi-auto.It looked like a .30 cal m1carbine,but i can't recall the model#.It was new,made in 1966.

#153 ·
It was a really pretty Ruger Bearcat .22 single six with the (brass)? They had just come out. Paid $37.50, the gun shop across the street sold them for $35 but they were not in stock. I told the guy where I bought it they were cheaper across the street. He said " When I'm out of stock, I sell them for $32.

Like a idiot I sold it some years later. Wish I had kept it.

#155 ·
It was a really pretty Ruger Bearcat .22 single six with the (brass)? They had just come out. Paid $37.50, the gun shop across the street sold them for $35 but they were not in stock. I told the guy where I bought it they were cheaper across the street. He said " When I'm out of stock, I sell them for $32.

Like a idiot I sold it some years later. Wish I had kept it.
Don't we all wish we had kept the things in life that would be worth alot more later on.:D

#163 · (Edited)
Remington 514 given to me on my 10th birthday. I'm almost 67 years old and this has been a treasure since the day my father gave it to me. He told me in no uncertain terms that I was to take very good care of this rifle. I feel like I have kept my word. You know it is old when an inexpensive .22 rifle has a walnut stock on it. Back then they never even thought of any other kind of wood for a stock. No serial number either. I own 16 long guns and this little .22 means more to me than all the rest put together. A 57 year old, one owner, single shot .22 rifle in NRA 95% condition or better.

#164 ·
My first .22 was a Remington 550-1 that was given to me when my Great Uncle Scotty passed away. A few years later I sold it to my brother, then realized my mistake and asked him to let me buy it back.....that was 20+ years ago and I haven't parted with it since.

#165 ·
ist at 5 years old was a single shot marlin with cocking type bolt.i still have it.next was essex 410 shotgun,i still have that also.by the time i was 10 or 12 i had i think 8 different guns.now i have over 100.the carbine type marlin that looks similar to m-1 carbine,i have three of.i have rebuilt and refinished a number of these little guns,because i give them to kids in the family old semperfi
Bob & Wife: Quick questions: You obviously have a lot of guns NOT being fired for many months. What type of oils etc, do you use to keep them from getting rusted over their storage time?? New guy, Thanks Bob

#172 ·
that a colt ACE .22 LR 1911 clone. A real fine examle of a good shootn .22 and a top choice IMO
you sure that's not a full .45acp? I don't know of any 1911's that com as .22's right out of the box without a conversion kit.

#173 · (Edited)
That Colt Ace is the real thing. I think there were three issues of the Ace, two before WWII and the final one ending in 1982. They are a beautiful .22 semi auto and match the 1911 exactly. Problem for me is they are getting pricey like all those Colts and I am afraid to take it out much any more. I got this one in 1982 and it is a joy to shoot.

#176 ·
A Remington 510 that I traded my Eisenhower Jacket for in 1948. I still have it.
Markings on Barrel KSS makes it Manufactured in May 1947. I have bought and sold many guns over the years but this one will be with me until I croak.
There is no way in hell that I could ever part with it since it carries many fond memories.
If you come across one at a reasonable price, buy it, you won't be sorry you did.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.