What was the first .22 you actually owned?

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by accident, Jan 21, 2010.

1. firelegs22

firelegs22 New Member

savage mark II. i have had other .22 rifles but that was the first that was mine and not on loan from a faimly member.
  2. Texxut

Texxut Member

My first 22 was a High Standard Double Nine revolver. Still have it.
  3. Popwood

Popwood New Member

A neighboring farm worker had been drafted and was going into the army in 1942, and I bought his Stevens bolt action with a seven round magazine. I was 13 then. I paid $7.50 for it. We moved to California the next year and I was not allowed to keep it, so I sold it to a buddy for the same amount. It was great while it lasted!
  4. PCMeanie

PCMeanie New Member

I bought my first .22 (and my first gun) when I turned 18 (almost 25 years ago) from a local pawn shop in Nashville, TN. I had saved and saved to buy a gun and when I finally got around to shopping I bought the cheapest piece of crap I could find (or so I thought at the time)!

I bought what I thought was an old cheap plastic gun! I have since learned that my faithful Remington Nylon 66 is quite a nice weapon to have in my collection! I still own the gun and it looks as good as it did the day i bought it. I can't even pretend to guess how many rounds have been through that gun! Lucky for me, since at that time I knew nothing about cleaning guns, the Nylon doesn't really require too much!

I dug the gun out about a month ago and tore it completely down and cleaned every nook and cranny on it. The stupid video on youtube tells you how to tear it down, but when you search for the reassemble video you only get a "field assembly" instruction. Not much use for me since I had totally dismantled the weapon! After about a week of google searches, phone calls and a variety of colorful outbursts, I got it back together!! Took it out for a test run to make sure I had everything properly placed, and everything worked like a champ! I think it might even shoot a little better now!

Anyway, I love my Nylon 66! Took it to Gander Mountain for some information on a replacement stock (thinking of changing from brown to black) and three people shopping in the store offered to buy it on the spot! $300 was the top bid, but after almost 25 years, it's become a part of me! I could never sell it!!

P.S. Finding a stock for a Nylon 66 is near impossible. Dupont got rid of their molds and nobody I could find knew what happened to them. If anyone has information on a replacement stock, brown, black, green or (yes, even) purple, I'm interested! I heard rumors that dupont had a mix up during one run and actually made purple stocks! Never seen one, but I'd like to!
  5. Desmond

Desmond New Member

I had one of these also. Thanks MRT for reminding me of it. Really nice rifle. I dropped a crow with one shot at a stepped off 125 yards with it back in the day when I could see that far. :) These are still available from time to time on the web, usually in the $300 to $350 range in fine condition.

Desmond
  6. MarkWood

MarkWood New Member

Marlin semiauto I still have it after 20 years.
  7. blackcat_attilio

blackcat_attilio Member

A Walther OSP in .22short ; good, very good stuff!
  8. gendoikari87

gendoikari87 Former Guest

as I just posted, a ruger 22/45
  9. Bigdog57

Bigdog57 Active Member

At the ripe young age of 12, I was given my little Stevens Model 15 singleshot bolt rifle by an uncle. Family tradition. I still have that little rifle some 41 years later! Still shoots great.
    First .22 rifle I actually bought was a Mossberg M152 carbine about 1995, at my first gunshow visit. I had just rekindled my interest in guns and shooting.

Now, I have over thirty .22 rifles...... dang things just seem to multiply over the years...... :D
  10. Diamondback

Diamondback Well-Known Member

Ruger Baercat. Bought it with my first paycheck in either '65 or '66 from Western Auto in Oklahoma. Still have it.
  11. accident

accident Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I agree Bigdog57.They seem to be breeding at my house too.
  12. Wildcat

Wildcat New Member

Marlin 39A, still have it, still love it, still in fine condition after 100s of rounds fired, sweet rifle.
  13. Tom

Tom Member

My 39A was my first gun, too. I put so many rounds through it that I finally had to have it rebarreled.
  14. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Dang tom, you musta shot millions of .22 rounds. I have never heard of a .22 rimfire needing a rebarrel due to being shot out. The ammo companies need to send you some free ammo for putting their kids through college;)
  15. Kent Detective

Kent Detective New Member

These 2 (just bought em). I have only just been given my FAC. In England there are many many hoops to jump through before getting one -

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 23, 2010