The Firearms Forum banner

What was the first .22 you actually owned?

83K views 457 replies 381 participants last post by  TyeDye1971 
#1 ·
Growing up in south GA.,bird hunting was king (bobwhites and doves).I had a.410 first at age 6.My first .22 the next christmas was a marlin/glenfield semi-auto.It looked like a .30 cal m1carbine,but i can't recall the model#.It was new,made in 1966.

#202 ·
Mine was a Savage Model 3 single shot.Dad bought it about 1950 and both my older brother and I learned to shoot with it.Until we began shooting in an NRA junior club it was the only gun in the house.Living in what was then the wilds of Florida I lost count of the number of snakes and varmits that it took care of. I remember my Mom killing a Cotton mouth moccasin with it that was as big around the middle as an intertube.
As the years went by and newer 22`s were added including a 521T,couple 513`s for target work and a 572 and 550 for hunting the old Savage was pretty much forgotten.I restored the stock 20 or so years ago and it is in the safe with the rest of the collection.I used it last year for a retro-squirrel hunt and it shoots straight and true as it did 60 years ago. Joe

#204 ·
Growing up in Turkey in 1957, my Dad an Air Force Doctor, bought me a FN break apart 22 (The predecessor to the Browning Semi-Auto 22). Living in a Valley South of Ankara (the Capital...my younger brother and I hunted tin cans, trash and squirrels for three years...the best three years of my life. Still have the gun...

#205 ·
Remington Fieldmaster Pump...I actually wore this rifle out to where it could not be fixed without adding a new receiver..It took many, many boxes of .22 S, L, LR to do this..I cut a lot of yards for my ammunition budget back then when ammo was 50 cents a box.

#207 · (Edited)
Mine was a "hand me down" from my older brother (pics below). It is about a 1958 or 1959 Winchester Model 67A, "Boy's Rifle". A single shot, bolt action with bolt cocking and safety and iron sights. Not sure of the exact age due to no serial number being required back then. It can fire shorts, longs, or long rifle (says so, right on the barrel)!

#208 ·
I believe it was in 1959.......A savage model 24 in 22/410. I kept it a few years and then sold it to buy a "liteweight" .22 semi auto for long walks in the woods. (my only complaint back then was the weight) I sure wish I HAD_IT_BACK..........can't find one today in really nice shape that isn't way too expensive....Live and learn

#210 ·
My first was at 5 or 6, was a single shot Chipmunk. I was dangerous with that peep sight that came stock on it, then I got a 3x9 for a birthday and thats where it got real fun. Not long after that was a pair of NEF 20 gauge single shots (one camo'd w/ red dot and ported for turkey, one rifled w/ iron sights for deer) and a Rem 34. My 34 needs some work done, but still functions just fine. My mother actually uses my 20 gauge NEFs now because of her stature and getting back into hunting finally.

#214 ·
Dad, with Mom's grudging assent, bought me a Marlin 81-DL for Christmas when I was around 11, which would have been the early 1950's. Still have it today. Already passed it on to my son & I expect him to pass it on to my grandson. Dad wasn't into guns (only owned one L.C. Smith SxS in 16ga.), but he could see I was after proving myself trustworthy (I guess) with a Daisey BB rifle. Was the terror of the frog pond on my cousin's farm. Hank

#218 ·
mine was a remington bolt action tubefed, 30s model. belonged to my great-grandpa, who passed it on to my great-uncle, who passed on to my grandpa, who gave it to me.

#224 ·
Mine was a 1934 Mossberg Model 10. Dad bought it from a family friend and banned me from going into the basement for weeks while he carefully repaired the cracked stock and cleaned it up for my 11th birthday. It is a single shot bolt that shoots shorts, longs, and long rifle. I still have it today. I bought a Nylon 66 a few months later from the same man who sold my dad the other one for $30 that I earned mowing yards. I still have it as well and they will be with me forever. My 10/22 and Rossi are more disposable, but I have a hard time letting any gun go once I aquire it. If I have children, they will inherit them, but I am not just going to sell them to some stranger.

#225 ·
Mine was a 1934 Mossberg Model 10. Dad bought it from a family friend and banned me from going into the basement for weeks while he carefully repaired the cracked stock and cleaned it up for my 11th birthday. It is a single shot bolt that shoots shorts, longs, and long rifle. I still have it today. I bought a Nylon 66 a few months later from the same man who sold my dad the other one for $30 that I earned mowing yards. I still have it as well and they will be with me forever. My 10/22 and Rossi are more disposable, but I have a hard time letting any gun go once I aquire it. If I have children, they will inherit them, but I am not just going to sell them to some stranger.
I tend to have a hard time letting them go as well. Probably cuz they've been aquired slowly over the years and low on the need to buy priority.

When it's hard come by, we appreciate more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.