What was your first purchase and why?

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by cointoss2, Mar 4, 2003.

1. cointoss2

cointoss2 Guest

ClydeBurrie
    (8/31/02 6:31:51 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All What was your first purchase and why?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am new to this and just rec'd my license...
    What was your first purchase and why?
    Could use a few tips on what to look for and maybe what would be a nice first buy... A shooter woul dbe nice.
    THANKS

Edited by: ClydeBurrie at: 8/31/02 7:33:08 pm

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (8/31/02 8:24:32 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: What was your first purchase and why?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A five-fer deal from SOG of 3 Polish and 2 Hungarian M44s for $174.95 right after I got my cruffle in 2000.

I always wanted ONE Polish, THAT'S ALL, they were cheap, I figured I could sell the other 4 and keep the best Polish, make a little money and move on the "good" stuff. I only had about $200 to start my "collection" and with two kids getting ready for college, little chance to spend more.

I still have that Polish, and one of the Hunkys that was a good shooter, and now that's pretty much all I collect, Mosin Nagants. They grow on you, they are interesting as heck, have much history, are STILL in regular service throughout the world and also as snipers, and are still CHEAP, and ammo is CHEAP (last tin of good stuff I bought was $35/440 rds, last show same stuff was $45/440) and they are a BLAST to shoot.

After those humble beginnings, I have about oh 20 or so various Mosin Nagants, and have owned maybe 40 or 50. And every time I sell one I end up buying two more, can't seem to shake the bug.

The other neat thing is there are so many variations, countries, etc, but not THAT many as compared to other rifles like Mausers (if you stay away from the Finns ), that you can really get into actual "collecting" rather than "accumulating" rather quickly, mainly because they ARE still so cheap. And if you wanted to "specialize," like in Finnish ones, you CAN get into expensive, and rare ones. And ALL are very historical. There are few other rifles that have served through so many upheavals in World History. I mean what OTHER rifle can claim to have been fielded in defense(?) of a Monarchial, a Communist, AND a budding Capitalist nation, with violent civil wars during each transition?

BUT they are getting slightly scarcer, and occasionally dry up for a while. The prices are slowly rising.
    "Don't hear him call you an ---hole, hear WHY he's calling you an ---hole." -------- From "A Season on the Brink"

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (8/31/02 8:34:28 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: What was your first purchase and why?
    I really can't say what was the first C&R I purchased - I would need to go back to my log book and look. I have had my C&R license for nearly 20 years now.

Some of my earliest purchases were Mosin Nagants - like Polishshooter says, they are a good cheap purchase, and a heck of an interesting history. I accumulated a sizable collection of Mosin Nagants, but my collecting interests changed and I have sold/traded off most of those early ones in the collection (ask Polishshooter and Rob C. In Missouri! )

Some of the best deals going right now:

SOG - Russian M44 rifles - these are in excellent condition for $59. Also the new batch of Yugo M59/66 SKS rifles - I got the "Excellent Condition" for $169 (shipping included) from AIM, and those are actually new rifles with only a few very minor scuffs. Another excellent deal is the Enfield No. 4 MkI rifles, arsenal rebuilds, available from Navy Arms for $99.95 - but they won't have any available for about four or five weeks.
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

TallTLynn
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (8/31/02 9:17:44 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: What was your first purchase and why?
    Still don't have my C&R yet but since the very first rifle I purchased for myself was a No 4 Mark I Enfield I'm still extremely partial to those.

Tac401
    Administrator
    (8/31/02 11:56:54 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: What was your first purchase and why?
    Can't remember since they were purchased off my FFL,
    I'd have to check like Bob!
    TFF VMBB Email Tac

walter in florida
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/1/02 12:05:42 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del My first purchase and why?
    My first purchase was Norico SKS that I purchased from Roses Department store, right after or next day when Clinton baned the inport of these SKS. I made a pack with myself that while clinton was in office, I would buy at least one a year. Well he is out of office and I am buying at least one a year. I guess bill clinton is repsonsible for me becoming a gun collector.

ThePitbullofLove
    (9/1/02 7:29:08 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: My first purchase and why?
    The first C&R gun I ever purchased was before I got my license. It was a 1954 Tula SKS in dead mint condition. Paid $100 for her. Why'd I buy her? Well, she was cheap, looked good, and with the "ban" in place, I didn't know how much longer I'd be able to buy rifles like this. This was '98 or so. I've still got her, probably always will.

The first gun I bought with my C&R was a Sistema Colt M1927, last October. Why I bought it? Well, the reviews on various websites & discussion boards said it was a no-brainer. Plus everyone said supplies of the Argie Colts would be getting short very soon-they weren't kidding!
    I got mine for $299. For a 100% 1911 compatible .45, that ain't too shabby.
    life is the crummiest book I ever read, there isn't a hook, just a lot of cheap shots, pictures to shock and characters an amateur would never dream up-Guerwitz-1994

russian mosin nagant
    (9/2/02 7:27:17 pm)
    My first purchase was an Enfield No4 MkI when I was 12 years old. I bought it for varmit hunting.

BobW
    Webmaster
    Russian Mosin Nagant Page & Forums
    Mosin Portal dot Com
    The Mosin Store

gwitness
    (9/3/02 10:25:28 am)
    My first one was a 91/59 from Big5 several years ago, It was cheap, in excellant condition, and ammo was cheap. However my mother took a liking to it, so I sold it to her, it took me 2 years to find another in like condition.

phoglund
    (9/4/02 1:26:01 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: My first purchase and why?
    My first C&R purchase was a 1954 Tula SKS just like the Pit Bull. It was also purchased before my C&R. My first (and currently only) purchase since acquiring my license was a 1962 East German Makarov. I bought the first one because I was still kicking myself for not buying a SKS a lot cheaper 10 years before and I could finally afford one. I bought the Mak because of all the good things I'd heard about them and wanted to try out my new licence! I don't regret either purchase.

CaliCollector
    (9/5/02 8:01:21 pm)
    my first purchase was an inheritance, a WW2 Walther P-38 with nazi proofs. followed by purchasing a Russian SKS (god i wish i never sold that rifle), a Polish P-35 Radom with nazi proofs, i bought this as it resembles a 1911 gvt. except in 9mm, thought it was an interesting peice, and have treasured it since, price was right too. a gibbs no.7 jungle carbine, i always liked the enfield rifle, and after i found out that the gibbs was made off an ishapore reciever with fairly modern steels and heat treating, and it would safely handle commercial .308 winchester, i figured why not? it would serve me well as a bush rifle for hunting pig and deer, or a truck rifle, and it has served me well. a Steyr M-95 8x56r, i bought this from big-5 simply because the price was right, and it was in great shape. no mausers or nagants YET, but im always looking for a good rifle in either model, and learning all the variations trying to decide wich i want, all your mauser and nagant posts here have been a major help. great site everyone, and its a pleasure to now be a part of you. Ray in California

CaliCollector
    (9/5/02 8:21:54 pm)
    how could i forget, i also have a cz-52, and a 1927 systema colt. i bought the cz becuase i thought the roller lock system they use was quite impressive, add to it the penetration of the 7.62x25mm round it lends itself to be a good backpaking gun, so i dont have to tear up my python. the systema, ahh hell i just love 1911's the price was right, finish was so close to 100% that i couldnt tell the difference when i bought it, and the price was more than right. only thing i ever had to do to the systema was polish the feed ramp in order to run hollowpoints. i beleive the pistol was never issued becuase the feed ramp showed absolutly no wear at all.. it now wears a nasty scratch on the left side of the slide, where the slide release slipped on reassembly and scared it. broke my heart. Ray in California
    ps also have a little walther .25 auto, the model number escapes me at the moment, but it was discontinued in 1910 the model 3??? good looking little pistol, but im no fan of the .25acp, price was right, and it was so cute that i fell in love with it, never shot it though

Edited by: CaliCollector at: 9/5/02 9:26:13 pm

RobC in Missouri
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/6/02 1:52:32 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: My first purchase and why...
    My first purchase of a C&R (before I had the license) was an M91/24 Carcano. Picked it up for $37 at a show back in the mid-80s. It's long gone now.

My first purchase with my license was an M91 Mosin Nagant from Century. Paid all of $34.95 for it in 1997. Why? I was low on funds but had to break the license in somehow.

Funny, once you get a C&R you're always low on funds....

RobC in Missouri

WyomingSwede
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (9/6/02 11:11:50 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: My first purchase and why...
    I picked up a swedish mauser...love at first sight...hence the moniker. Still have ..the first of many...try to buy em in twos...one to sporterize...one for the collection. need more room. swede
    Wyoming Swede