What went wrong? (pictures inside)

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by The Joker, Dec 5, 2012.

1. myfriendis410

myfriendis410 Member

Back the expander die body out so that you have just enough expansion of the case to start the bullet in it. You are over expanding the case which makes it too big to go into your seating/crimping die. You said before that you were using .38 special dies so this makes sense to me.
  2. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

The excessive flaring has got to be caused by the expander die inserted to far into the press.

Another question for this one. Since you said only 7 out of 50 gave you these results, are they all the same headstamped brass?
  3. The Joker

The Joker Member

Yes Obviously not trying to actually press them together, just to test fit them. That is why I know I am over flaring.

As I said before the dies are .38 special but it is also labeled as "can do .357 magnum too" It is mixed brass that I got from the range.
  4. streetbob

streetbob Active Member

Joker if you can, go buy a set of RCBS dies. I have them for the .38 Special/.357 Magnum and I don't have a problem with them. I reload both calibers for my mother's pistol. On RCBS expander dies all you have to do is run the ram to the top of the press stroke with the shell holder installed, screw in the die till it touches the shell holder, tighten up the lock ring on the die, install a .38 or .357 case into the shell holder, adjust the expander till it touches case,lower the ram, I turn the expander plug 1 full turn at a time and run the case through the die till I get the bell I like (usually takes 2 1/2 to 3 turns). I am not knocking the Lee dies (I have a Lee FCD for every caliber I reload for) but the RCBS dies seem easier to operate to me.
  5. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

I also use RCBS for all my dies. the Lee factory crimp dies are great and found their way into my reloading bench not long ago but Lee is far from the best quality out there.

that being said, they still work just fine and will give you equal results
  6. The Joker

The Joker Member

I think I may have found the problem. I am almost embarrassed to post this.
    All the deformed looking ones actually ended up being from the same manufacture of brass. I was using assorted brass but just the ones labeled as R-P underneath gave me a problem. Except one, one of their cases didnt give me an issue and seems to be like a good solid round. Anyone else have an issue with R-P brass?
  7. streetbob

streetbob Active Member

RP is Remington brass, I reload them without a problem. Matter of fact if I use factory loaded ammo for plinking my PF-9 has tighter groups with the Remington UMC then the Winchester White Box.
  8. streetbob

streetbob Active Member

Also if you want to get rid of those R-P cases I would be more than happy to take them off your hands! :D