What will my next wheel gun be.......

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Tony Mig, Jan 10, 2005.

1. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

I have 4 revolvers chambered in .38 / .357 Magnum, 2 chambered in .22Lr, but only 1 chambered in .45 Colt.
    I recently formed an interest in hot rodding the .45 Colt to +P velocities. My 5.5" Vaquero can handle these loads, but I'm thinking that either a Redhawk, or Super Blackhawk with a 7.5" barrel would be a better gun for shooting these magnum level loads.
    I like both single and double action wheel guns, and would be happy with either model, plus they're both built like a tank, and could shoot these hot loads long after I'm dead and gone.

So, will it be this......[​IMG]

or this.......[​IMG]
    Assuming I can still get a Redhawk in .45 Colt...(rumor has it Ruger dropped this model in the 2005 catalog)
  2. stash247

stash247 New Member

Freedom Arms, bub.
    They cost too much, I know, but are put together like a bank vault.
    And, with only 5 chambers in the cylinder, the timing cuts fall between the holes, instead of directly over them, which prevents weakening the (already thin) chamber wall.
    If you get the .454 Casull, you can shoot both that, and .45 (long)Colt, in the same revolver.
    The second choice for me would be the Super Blackhawk, with a Linebaugh or similar cylinder conversion, for the same reasons.
  3. fishermanben

fishermanben New Member

Go single action. That super blackhawk is a true pleasure to shoot.

Ben
  4. frosty

frosty New Member

I have run in my .45 Colt 19.5 grns of w296 under a 250 grn semi wadd cutter in a stainless Blackhawk. It will get your attention :eek: . Due to the fact that the barrel is 4 5/8ths in length :D . Pistol just rolls in my hand. I would get the Blackhawk hands down. I like double action pistols.....but I shoot them single action :), I like the ease of unloading and loading that is the only saving grace for double action pistols.

Get the Blackhawk..................love those +P Colt loads :cool: .
  5. BobbyWins

BobbyWins New Member

Please forgive/correct me if I'm wrong,but isn't the Super Blackhawk available in .44 Mag.only?Or has something changed?

BW
  6. MVP

MVP New Member

They also make it in 41 Magnum.
  7. BobbyWins

BobbyWins New Member

OOOPS!! :eek: :eek:

Just checked there web sight.

They do make it in .45 Colt as well as the .41 mag and .44 mag.

When did they start that? :confused:

BW
  8. Colonel Plink

Colonel Plink New Member

I shoot the dickens out of my Super Blackhawk. I've got the big, fat ol' Hogue grip on it which really helps with full-house loads. For the money, it'd be my pick. 'Course, I've always lusted after that Redhawk. Maybe one day, when the baby's grown....
  9. rjjrwi

rjjrwi New Member

Last edited: Jan 15, 2005
  10. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

I've never been big on scoping my handguns, I enjoy the challenge of shooting iron sights. The Super Blackhawk (Hunter Model) appeals to me because of the .45 Colt caliber, the 7.5" barrel length plus the extra strength of the top rib on the barrel, the unfluted cylinder, the round trigger gaurd, the stainless steel it's made of, but the fact that it has scope mounts, and comes with rings really doesn't matter.

If I do get the Redhawk I may get the one with scope mounts, but if one comes my way without them, it won't keep me from buying it.
  11. HiPressure

HiPressure New Member

Tony,
    A lot will depend on what you want to do with it. Do you want to hunt with it? Carry it as back-up to a rifle? Want it to be a short-range "bear-dropper"?
    I have a 5.5" Vaquero that I shoot quite often with "heavy" loads (300+ gr bullets at high velocity) but as soon as I have the pennies saved up, I will be buying a Ruger Bisley. If I were concerned about a back-up for rifle hunting, I'd stick with what I have. Since I'm looking at using it as a hunting weapon the Bisley will be my choice. I don't want the grip rolling in my hand as much as the standard frame will allow, it pounds the crap out of the base of my thumb. I shot a friend's 4-5/8" 44 mag Bisley and was truly impressed at how comfortable it was, especially with full-house loads. I ran my revolver against his on a timer and found that I could get a second shot off faster with the Bisley (equivilent loads and a two hand hold). As for the Redhawk, I've just never been thrilled with how they "felt" in my hand.
    HP
  12. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

Looking at the grip always left me thinking that it would be a very uncomfortable gun to shoot, especially rounds like the .44 Magnum, and +P loaded .45 Colt, but I find the grip on the Redhawk fits my hand perfectly.
  13. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

Even when one has a preference, Tony, the old axiom of trying several and going with the one that fits you usually gives you the best bet!!!!

That's why I love my older style Smith 629 so well. My hand doesn't feel comfortable with the newer style round narrow grip.
  14. Bucky Bronco

Bucky Bronco New Member

Check out the new S&W 460 Magnum. It shoots 45 Colt, 454 Casull and the new 460 Magnum. 3-in-1. Not bad.