The Firearms Forum banner

what wine?

3K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  JoeV 
#1 ·
we are having ham, shrimp and lasagna for christmas dinner along with different salads and desert
i am no wine connoisseur, so i was wondering what wine would complement the meal?

#3 ·
Typically as white wine would be best for that meal. I do not like Chardonnay but that may be the best for that meal. Reisling is a very good one. Notes of honey and flower and fruity flavors in that one. If you like wine, drink what you like. Do not worry about the paring.

Easy way to remember. Typically for all light colored meats (fish, chicken) go with a white wine (pinot grigio, chardonnay, reisling). For darker meats (steak, game meats), go with a red (cabernet sauvignon, red zinfandel).

#4 ·
Splurge, buy some Ripple. That should fit your menu well.
Ya....Tickle Pink Ripple.....
Good enough for Fred Sanford.
And pink will cover the spectrum of food.

Red with lasagna
White with shrimp
Red, white. or rose with the ham.

Depends on who will drink it.
If the men will be having liquor and beer
then focus on what the women prefer.
Most women generally prefer a chablis,
a white that's a little sweet, or a rose,
which also is a bit sweet.

Me personally, a real heavy red, like chianti,
will always work with any cuisine.
If it doesn't smell like old socks, it's too light.

#7 ·
Pinot noir is a great (and very light) red, goes well with just about any meal. La Crema is our anniversary wine, it's around $25 and fantastic. Would go well with that meal also.

Try some Apothic Red if ya haven't yet, it's a blend but it is phenomenal and only about $10, it's good and bold.

Don't care much for whites myself, love the big bold reds mostly. Syrah especially... Malbecs... dolcetto...

#9 · (Edited)
I would go with a bottle of Pinot Noir and a bottle of Chardonnay. My favorite winery is Bogle Vineyards; great wines and reasonably priced. If you can't find Bogle, then try a wine site to check out whatever your store has to offer. Boxed wines are just fine too; there a several that are quite tasty, just avoid the cheap ones; I have yet to taste a good lower priced boxed wine.

For desserts, a Moscato is a good pairing. Me and Shelley drink Moscato any time though. We found a fantastic one for under $10. Casal Nova It's very good wine with a very affordable price.

#11 ·
BACK in the good ol days there was nothing better than a $1.99 bottle of boons farm wild mountain grape
yeah, back in the day when I had the stomach to handle it :devilish::D

#12 ·
Depending on who's eating what, white wine goes with the shrimp. Red with the lasagna and the ham. Pinot Noir will be the best red to choose. For white, you can go with any number of different whites. Which one to choose depends on how sweet you want the wine. My wife and I drink wine with most meals and my brother has a wine cellar with a couple thousand bottles. We don't particularly like very sweet wines so when we get a white wine it is usually a Pinot Grigio.

#16 ·
Something that's good with meat and fish is a nice white zinfandel. I prefer Barringer's but I've had cheaper brands that went down just as easy. By the way, it's not really white, it's more of a blush.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.