The Firearms Forum banner

What would be next in your "collection?"

3K views 29 replies 19 participants last post by  bob1010 
#1 ·
I'm not in the market for anything right now, but it's fun to hear what people would get next if they had what I have so here is what I have:

Untitled by robertwsimpson, on Flickr
From left to right:
Ruger LCP 380 - my daily carry
Walther P22 - something for my wife to shoot, although I have grown quite fond of this piece also.
Kimber CDP Ultra LG - got a "too good to pass up" deal on this one. I like it because I can be flashy at the range if I ever want to, and I can also carry it when I want to pack a little more punch than the 380. Definite "cool factor."
Sig Sauer P250 45 full size - I keep this one next to the bed in case something goes bump in the night. Flashlight and laser on the rail.

Remington 870 - the photo is not mine, but I have basically the same one... mine is all black though. I'll eventually get sights and a flashlight for accessories, but I don't have anything on yet. this is my "tacticool" gun.

Savage Mark II - also not a photo of mine, but mine is the same. I have a cheapie 3x9 scope. probably my favorite gun to shoot right now (also my newest)

Winchester model 94 - again, not a photo of mine, but the same. the first gun I ever owned. Given to me by my uncle. really fun gun to shoot, but at a buck a round and with the age of the gun, it doesn't see too much action. Nice to look at though.

So if you had all that, what would you get next?

See less See more
#2 ·
Not enough room here to post everything in my collection......next purchase will probably be Remington 1911 Carry Commander...thats if I decide I have enough ARs yet...I have dozens of 1911s I need to be shooting now...

#3 ·
I've been wanting a S&W 686 Plus for some time now. I'll own one someday if the LORD let's me live long enough.

#6 ·
Lemme see here. You got a 22, a pocket pistol and a pair of 45s. You got a 12 gauge, a 22 rifle and a 30/30.

Obviously you need a 38 S&W revolver.

I wrote this some time ago, and you're doing pretty good.

>Guns Every “American Gun Owner” Should Have

This is my opinion, only, of course, but then, my opinion is the only one that counts.

First and foremost, you need to own a good 22 rifle. Which kind don’t really matter. I’ve got ‘em all. Got some bolts, a lever, an automatic, a few pumps and a Martini action. Got single-shots and repeaters.

You need to have a 30/30 lever action. It should be a Winchester 94. The Marlin is acceptable, as long as it is 30/30. Nothing wrong with the 35 Remington – it’s a fine cartridge. But you need to have a 30/30. Can’t get much more American than a Winchester 30/30.

You need a 12-gauge pump – preferably a Remington 870. Now, there are lots of fine pumps out there. Winchester 12, Ithaca 37, Browning, etc. And there are many fine shotguns of other action types. But a shotgun just seems to say something. Over/under says “skeet shooter”. Side-by-Side says “elegant” and “European driven birds”. A pump is like a pickup truck or a station wagon. It says “everyday American”. And the 870 is the perfect pump. There are many fine gauges of shotgun. I, for some reason I cannot discern, am kinda partial to the 16. As I get older, I seem to like the 410 more and more. But, truthfully, anything you can do with any other gun, you can do with a 12 gauge.

You need to own a Smith and Wesson Military and Police 38 special revolver. It’s sad that I had to specify. At one time, if you said S&W M&P, everyone knew what you meant. K frame 38 special. But lately Smith has started to call their line of plastic fantastic automatic pistols M&P, and also their copy of the Colt AR15 is the M&P rifle. But I digress. Since 1957, when they started to give them model numbers, instead of names, the M&P has been called the Model 10. You can’t get much simpler than a double action revolver. Just point it and pull the trigger. No safety to worry about. Don’t need cocked. Just “bang”. 38 Special, while not the “best” anti-personnel round out there, will do its job if you do yours. K frame is big enough to give some weight to hold down recoil, but not so big that it’s too heavy to tote. You got six shots. It’s accurate enough for plinking, robust enough for combat. If you’re only going to own ONE pistol, it should be this one. The quintessential M&P is a 4-inch pencil barrel, but as long as you have one of some description, that’s okay. I’ll even allow a Model 13, which is an M&P in 357, a 64, which is a stainless steel Model 10, and a 65, which is a stainless Model 13.

You need a 1911 in 45 ACP. Now, there are many makers out there. There are the wartime guns. World War 1 – Remington Arms, along with Colt and the US Armory at Springfield. The World War 2 guns – Colt and Springfield, along with Ithaca shotgun, Remington-Rand typewriters, Singer Sewing Machine, Union Switch and Signal. Then there are the commercial guns. Colt and Springfield (not the military arsenal – different company but same name), Kimber, Auto Ordnance, Arcadia Machine and Tool, and a whole slew of ‘em made in the Philippines and sold here under different names – Dan Wesson, Rock Island Arsenal, Charles Daly. Remington sells one now, as does Ruger, S&W, and SIG. You can get them in lots of sizes – full size, commander size, officer size, compact officer size and long slide. You can get them in lots of calibers – 22LR, 9mm Luger, 38 Super, 40 S&W, 10mm and 45 ACP are the most common, but there are others available. You can get them in any configuration from military dress to totally tricked out, and spend anywhere from around 500 to several thousand. But I think everyone needs to have at least one box-stock 5-inch government model 1911A1.

You should have a bolt action “deer rifle”, with a scope.

Lastly, you need a good 22 pistol. There are so many of them. Revolvers and automatics. Single actions and double. Sizes from dinky to huge. I’m partial to S&W double action revolvers and Ruger single actions and autoloaders.

So, there you go. Seven guns. Everyone that calls himself a gun owner should own these seven guns.

Everything else is gravy.

#7 ·
Welcome to the forum! I think I would look at adding some revolvers! And since I like big bullets, .44 spcl, and up!

#8 ·
looking at your collection I would say you need a couple more shotguns and a few rifles. may I suggest a Remington SP10, a Browning maxus, a savage 110 in 30-06 or .270, a remington 700 in 22-250 or .243, a ruger 77 in 257 roberts, and a Winchester 70 in 300 win mag? round that all out with 6 or 8 claymores and a couple grenade launchers

#11 ·
At this point in my life i guess id have to say a desert eagle. Or as carver said i like big bullets a 44 would fit in with what i have.Or another 45 just to have another .

#14 ·
Next for me is definitely a 1911, just not sure yet which one. Looking for one close to what I used in the Navy but not averse to one of the more refined versions out there. Also some time down the road, assuming they will still be legal, I would kind of like to build myself an AR to satisfy my inner tinkerer. :)

Don't really consider myself to be a collector as all of the firearms I own, with the exception of a Mossberg 185D given to me by my grandfather, I take to the range regularly but right now I have the aforementioned Mossberg, a Remington 870, a Winchester 94, a Marlin model 60 (my first gun), a H&K MP5 A5, a Beretta M9 and a FN FNX-40.

#16 ·
Having just indulged in a N frame S&W buying spree, (four of them since November), I think it's time to move in a slightly different direction.....

Next up for me is a higher powered hunting rifle (I have a Marlin 336 in .35 Remington). I am thinking a .30-06, or what ever happens to cross my path. I seldom buy new, so it will probably be a pre-64 Model 70 or something like that.

#20 ·
I don't get your question. Yes, it's the "revolver round", as in "it's chambered in the 45 Single Action Army revolver" while the 45 ACP is the "automatic round", since it's chambered in the 1911 45 automatic.

But - "what's good about 45lc?" Lots of things are good about it. It's fun to shoot. Easy to load. Very accurate. Hit someone with it and they fall down and die.

Oh, and shooting it in a derringer hurts. Done it. Once. That was enough. Of course, the one I shot was a CorBon round. That might make a difference. :D

#22 ·
Well your missing out :D go with what tickles your fancy there are count less ways to expand you collection it's all what you want to do and get the firearm that works for that and fits your style

#23 ·
yeah I see now.

I guess I'm just not a "revolver type of guy."
Revolvers may not carry 18 rounds in a magazine, but they don't jam, they don't have feed or extract problems. They are simple to use, accurate, and usually less expensive. I have a .41mag Ruger. And I garuntee that 1 .41mag 210gr JHP will knock anyone down. And that's not even the hardest hitting in .41 let alone larger calibers. That 9mm (.35") SA might have to use up an entire mag to get the same result.

#26 ·
In an ideal world it'd be a US M1903 Mk.1 Springfield and a Pedersen Device, but that seems unlikely so I'll probably be concentrating on filling a few spots in our WW1 rack(s) - a few Carcano and Berthier variations. In the just for fun department, once the warmer weather gets here I'll probably be looking into a .22lr conversion kit for our HBAR.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.