What Would Happen?

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by ninjatoth, Jan 28, 2010.

1. ninjatoth

ninjatoth Former Guest

Just to satisfy my curiosity-what would happen if you took one of the new .17HM2 rounds and stuck it in a .22LR bolt action rifle and tried to shoot it-or in a .22 LR revolver.
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I'm not up on the 17s, but if I remember right, one is a necked down 22 magnum and the other is a necked down 22 LR. Right? So, if the one you are talking about is the necked down 22 LR, it would fire, the 17 caliber neck would expand to 22 caliber (to fill the chamber), and the bullet would go speeding down the barrel. It might bounce around a little on the way down, or it might just go zipping down the middle, not touching anything.

Accuracy probably would not be very good.

If you mean would it be dangerous - no. Kinda wasteful, though, when you consider how expensive them dang things are compared to Long Rifle shells.

I base this answer on having shot 38/40s in a 44/40 revolver. Same basic thing. 38/40 is a necked down 44/40. Brass expanded to fit the 44/40 chamber, and I hit my target at about 25 feet, with a five-shot group that could be covered with my hand. Not great accuracy, but I coulda killed somebody with it.
  3. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Alpo is correct, all you would do is to fireform the case back to the orininal 22 LR Stinger case.
  4. old semperfi

old semperfi Active Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    nothing bad,however accuracy would not be bad.it would be non existant old semperfi
  5. Claude Clay

Claude Clay New Member

velocity will be reduced as the .17 hardly fills the .22 bbl.
    gases blowing by the bullet do not add to its acceleration.

i crono'ed a 357 Sig in a 40 bbl and it was less by over 200 fps
    than when fired in its proper bbl [lousy accuraccy]. the 9MM was down about 150 fps;
    but it was less to begin with. my Sig P239 came to me as a 40 and i have 357 & 9 bbls.
    9 in the 357 bbl worked fine and even functioned the slide--
    enough of the case mouth opened to engage the chamber's shoulder to seal the gas.
    --usual disclaimers apply--