What Would This Be Worth?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Skills, Jul 11, 2006.

1. Skills

Skills New Member

I just bought this for $150. I think its an S&W 10-5. Its missing some color in a few areas but if I clean it im sure it could be better.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi Skills......welcome to TFF. :)

Looks like your Model 10 has about 80-90% of it's finish, which would place it's value in the $130 to $160 range.

If it's a nice tight gun and shoots well, you didn't get hurt for $150.
  3. Gunfyter

Gunfyter New Member

Don't dunk it in the toilet. :D :D Welcome.
  4. Skills

Skills New Member

Oh good. I though I got ripped off.

Is there anything I can do to help the finish?

Will this gun hold its value? Will it go down in time?
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2006
  5. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

To clean it up get the most finest steel wool you can find and some gun oil.

If that don't make it look better you're local Wal-Mart will have some Beechwood Casey bluing to touch it up
  6. Skills

Skills New Member

how can i get the black finish back on the silver areas?
  7. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Looks like you've got quite a bit of blue missing. Might be tough to blend all that in with touch-up blue.

You could get a home blueing kit and try to reblue the gun yourself, or take it to a gunsmith and have a professional job done.

However, if you just want to keep it as a "shooter", it's fine the way it is. Just keep the outside lightly oiled so it doesn't start to rust......and, anytime you handle it, wipe off your fingerprints (the acid on skin can cause rust).
  8. Skills

Skills New Member

how much is the home kit and how much would it cost to do it professionally
  9. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

It would cost about 1/2 of what you paid for the gun for a decent job by a good gunsmith. Since that would negate any type of value to a S&W collector I would recommend, as I have in your other duplicate post, that you just leave it as is and keep it lightly oiled. You will never get it to look the same with a home kit.
  10. Skills

Skills New Member

how would i oil it?