What would you recommend?

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by hkruss, Feb 25, 2012.

1. hkruss

hkruss Active Member

So here is my situation.

I have a Springfield G.I. commander size which I love. The only thing I don't like are the sights. With my eyesight, they are almost useless.
    A while back, I had posted a question about putting night sights on it. I had night sights put on my Glock, and they are a tremendous help to me. Even during the day, they glow brightly enough to give me a good sight picture. I know that if I ever had to shoot at night, the first muzzle blast is probably going to negate the usefulness of the glowing sights. So I'm thinking that maybe if I got sights that just had white dots on them, that would suffice.
    Let me say up front, I don't do competitive shooting. I'm not worried about hitting targets at 50 yards. In fact, I almost always practice as if in a SD situation, that is, less than 10 yards since most SD scenarios are in that range or less.
    Now let me get to my real question.
    Would I do better to buy aftermarket sights and have my smith install them (which I figure would probably cost at least $150 for sights and installation, if not more), or should I sell the Springfield and buy a new lower end 1911 that already has decent sights on it?
    If I sold the Springfield, I would be willing to put a little money with it to get a quality pistol with good factory sights. Maybe something like the STI Spartan, which I have seen for a little over $600. Or maybe I could go with something cheaper in price like a Rock Island. Whatever I get, I definitely want the commander size.

So that brings up another question.
    If I sold the Springfield, what should I reasonably expect to get out of it? I saw them selling at Bud's for $519 new. So what would be a fair price to sell it for?
    So which should I do? Sell it, buy a new pistol with better sights, or just buy the aftermarket sights and have them installed?

I would really appreciate any advice on this subject. HK

2. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

What about going to a hobby type store, where they sell model car, plane, etc. kits, and buy a little bottle of white paint, for a few bucks. Then you put white dots on your existing sights. I have been doing that for years.

You can even try different colors. It is not like buying a couple different ones is going to break the bank.
  3. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Springer will sell you their Mil_Spec 3 dot sights which are a drop in replacement for the tiny GI sights for around $30 or so. Sadly, painting the GI sights isn't very effective as they are just to small. As far as selling a GI, they go pretty quick around here at $475 or so if they're in mint condition. The Springer has a forged slide & frame so it's generally a stronger gun than the lower priced built in the PI guns. I have some of each so it just depends what you're looking for.

I'd call Springer as I believe you can send the slide and they'll do the Mil_Spec upgrade for a reasonable price if you're not versed in changing the sights yourself. The front sight needs to be properly staked in so it's not as simple as tapping the old one out and tapping a new one in. If you want night sights, you'll need the dovetails cut in the slide as well as the sights and this can easily cost $200 and up...
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  4. hkruss

hkruss Active Member

Yeah pickenup, those sights are so tiny I really don't think the paint would do me much good. Sure would have been a cheaper fix though!

Thanks NGIB, I may just take your advice and check with Springfield to see what the upgrade would cost, and what exactly they would do.

I would still like to hear some more opinions. C'mon all you 1911 guys. Give me some more feedback please! HK

5. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

This is what I did to the sights on the 9mm RIA I had. A local gunsmith got and installed them for me. Someone on another forum made the comment that they look like Glock sights, but I can't say that they are or aren't.

Attached Files:

• 9mm.jpg
      9mm.jpg
      File size:
      22.1 KB
      Views:
  6. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

Some one don't know the difference between colt sights and glock sights. RI use a colt cut with a front narrow tenion. Glock uses Heine sight cuts and they look nothing like the colt sights. Some one was being rather insulting imo:D
  7. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

If you like the gun change the sights.
  8. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    That's what I would do also. $200 invested in a gun I like, and shoots well, is the ticket.
  9. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

10. limbkiller

limbkiller New Member

Keep the SA and get a "smiff" to cut your slide and install new sights. The cost will be worth it. SA makes a very good product and you are already familiar with the gun. If the gun doesn't mean anything to you there are lots of choices on carry guns.
  11. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

You can send your gun to Springfield in Illinois and they can install the Novak night sights like the Loaded model has.

I would say if you want a whole new gun and wish to stay with Springfield, try out the Loaded Champion. It has the low-profile Novak sights with the tritium inserts which glow-in-the-dark.

Here's someone's review of one: (I'm pretty sure it's still being made by Springfield)
    http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=278341
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  12. hkruss

hkruss Active Member

Just wanted to thank everyone for their advice, links, and suggestions.

Still making up my mind, but just wanted to say I appreciate your responses. HK

13. Captain Jack

Captain Jack New Member

You can also go to hobbie store and get glo in dark paint it works well for me looks white in the day and glos just enough in the dark , for 2 bucks worth a try if you like gun i did it to my s&w perfomance center 1911 did the trick , not easy gettin old a , improved my grouping alot