What year is this 32 Iver Johnson's Arms and Cycle Works Revolver

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by hbonifield, Feb 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hbonifield

hbonifield New Member

its my dads so i have no picture so ill do my best to explain it.

32, leaf sping, threaded...and free spinning cylinder, 3inch barrel, 5 shot, top break. black grip with owel head

serial number is 041248.

He said it was all rusty and he had to use acid to get the rust off.

He didnt know how old it was and i figured id help. So any help be great.
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2008
  2. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

the "O" letter code was used on the small frame 32 caliber second model safety automatic hammerless revolvers in 1905 and 1906. this revolver serial number O41248 was manufactured in 1905, with about 50,000 manufactured that year. all second model safety automatic revolver were manufactured for black powder cartridge pressures and are not safe with modern smokeless ammo. a second model in this condition would not have a high value maybe $50 to $60. if in good mechanical condition.
    bill
  3. John Hunt

John Hunt New Member

I have a hammerless iver johnson 32cal 5 shot sn 32125 how much would it be worth. email; bearhunt56@hotmail.com
  4. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

depending on condition about $250 as a high to $50 in poor condition.
    bill
  5. shandibeth

shandibeth New Member

I have a iver johnson 32 snub nose with serial number 32790 could someone tell me what year it is?
  6. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

sorry i can't even to begin to tell your the age of your revolver with out knowing what model it is. please give a complete description of your revolver with all markings and where they are found. a picture woudl help also.
    bill
  7. shandibeth

shandibeth New Member

okay here it is, it is a small break open revolver, 5 shot, screw on cylinder, with hammer, hammer safe,inch and a half long barrel and the owl sits upright on black plastic handle, no front site, chrome, trigger gaurd number is 32790, and i can only make out some of the bottom of butt. it looks like it says or may have said june 16.96 AUG.25

next line is something 6.04 PATS PEND
    thanks for the help and your time
  8. shandibeth

shandibeth New Member

also under the grip "A32790"
  9. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

this is a small frame 32 caliber third model safety automatic hammer revolver. serial number A32790 was manufactured in 1911, there were 36,500 made that year of this model.

THIRD MODEL SAFETY AUTOMATIC HAMMER REVOLVER
    (Smokeless Powder Cartridges)--------------------1909-1941
    LARGE FRAME AND SMALL FRAME VERSIONS USES HAMMER THE HAMMER ACTION: Double top post barrel latch with Hammer the Hammer action. This model redesigned to be strong enough for smokeless powder. All coil springs, hard rubber grip panels with Owls head at top, optional oversize grips of hard rubber or wood were offered. Two frame sizes, four calibers, Standard barrel length: small frame 3 inches, large frame 3 ¼ inches. Calibers: small frame .22 rimfire 7 rounds cylinder capacity, .32 centerfire 5 rounds cylinder capacity, large frame .32 Special centerfire with 6 rounds cylinder capacity, .38 centerfire with 5 rounds cylinder capacity; Weight: small frame .22 rimfire with 3 inch barrel 13 ounces, .32 centerfire with 3 inch barrel 13 ½ ounces, large frame with 3 ¼ inch barrel .32 Special 19 ounces, .38 centerfire with 3 ¼ inch barrel 18 ¼ inches; Height: small frame 3 ¾ inches, large frame 3 7/8 inches; Frame length: small frame 4 3/16 inches, large frame 5 inches; Overall length: small frame with 3 inch barrel 6 3/8 inches, large frame with 3 ¼ inch barrel 7 3/8 inches. Main serial number location on left side of grip frame grips must be removed to see. The Third Model features a double top post barrel latch, coil hammer spring and four cross pins in the lower frame.
    VALUE: 100%=$250 60%=$115

bill
  10. shandibeth

shandibeth New Member

thank you so much for your time and help money value is nothing it is a gift from my husband and I will keep it forever.
  11. crittet

crittet New Member

I also have a 32 Iver Johnson's Arms & Cycle Works,Fitchburg, Mass. USA. 43/4 inch barrel, 6 shot revolver. 2004 stamped on trigger guard and inside grip. How old is it? Is it safe? Is it a collectible?
  12. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

this last revolver is a third model safety automatic hammer revolver fitted with the special order "western walnut" gips. this revolver is the 2004th ordered with these grips. your revolver is chambered for 6 32 S&W LONG cartridges. it is simular to one i have in my collection but earlier by about 5,000 guns.

generally speaking the third model is not considered collectible but is a shooter.
    values are listed above for the third model.
    bill
  13. crittet

crittet New Member

14. crittet

crittet New Member

Thank You so much- it's good to know it is a safe gun-b.goforth
  15. darticus

darticus New Member

What would be the age of this IVER pistol #202xx. Is it a good gun? I know nothing!
    [​IMG]