Whatch'a Huntin'?

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by warpig, Feb 24, 2003.

1. warpig

warpig Guest

Whatch'a Huntin'?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Golllie -
    We can't have a blank topic board here, guys!
    I'll lead it off.
    My standard (and has been for 40 some years) is deer - doesn't matter what species, whitetail or mule deer. Never had a chance to hunt any o' them Pacific coast black tails or whatever. I've hunted these rascals in Pennsylvaina, Virginia, Canada, Indiana, Arkansas, Colorado, Wyoming, Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico and here in Arizona. Heck, I even nailed an Asian Musk deer in Korea 'way back when. The only deer season I missed in all that time was in '69 when our last child was born. Told the wife if she couldn't work things out better than that, why, I wouldn't participate in it anymore! Needless to say, she didn't think much of my attempted humor! You will notice, tho, that I did say LAST child!
    Hunted with rifle, muzzlestuffer and shotgun slugs. Found a pocket full of rocks would be more deadly than me trying to use bow & arrow - and I was never noted for accurate rock chunking. Used from .243 Win, .257 Rob'ts, 25-06, 6.5x55, 6.5x257 Ack Imp., 7x57, 7 Rem Mag, 7mm Dakota, 30-06, 300 H&H, .35 Rem to .375 Win. Of late, the mid-calibers in the .25 and .264 seem to fit these old bones a little more kindly and get the job done with good efficiency. If still in the eastern hardwoods, I would probably tinker with a 45-70 for the T/C Contender that presently uses the .35 Rem and .375 Win.
    The shots where I now hunt range on the longer side - 150 to 300 yds normally. Used to try those longer shots past 350 yds, however, with age I find that's too far and set the max at the 300 yd marker.
    Generally hunt on horseback. The pucker brush out here will make quick work of a rifle's stock (has a darn'd sneaky way of unsnapping the hood flap to get at it!) so I generally use synthetic stocks on whatever gets taken out. Most of them have Leupold Vari-XII 3x9's mounted and sighted in for maximum point blank range between 275-325 yds.
    Western New Mexico and eastern Arizona are my deer grounds now. My sister and husband want me to go up to their place in Colorado this coming season, also, but the timing isn't too good, this "Wasting Disease" is bad in their area and Colo. has gone to $270 for non-res. tags this year. Think I'll pass.
    I'm not adverse to taking a poke at elk or antelope, either. Just hard to come by the tags here, due to the draw system and so many applicants. Have Javelina coming up beginning this weekend and then Spring Turkey in late April. We receive the hunting regs for this fall in May, have to have the applications in by mid-June, then find out around the lst of Aug if we got drawn or not. Have a guided mule deer hunt scheduled in New Mex. in mid-November, anyway.
    Well, let's hear from the rest of you - whatta' you skulk around for?
    Keep off the Ridgeline!!

ruffitt
    (2/21/01 12:36:39 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Whatch'a Huntin'?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Right now I'm huntin' snow snakes here in Michigan . Havn't caught any yet, but I'm gonna keep trying. Lots of snow on the ground and temps in the teens and twenties . Can't chase cotton tails (which is open util the end of March) with my wheelchair. Just waiting for April/May to get here so I can get out in the turkey woods . By then hopefully the snow snakes will be gone .

Regards

ruffitt

Tac401
    Administrator
    (2/21/01 12:28:52 pm)
    Hey there ruffit welcome!

I like you my friend have been snowed in up to my you
    know what, the last snow around 2 weeks ago we had to
    get a Dozer to get us out.

My favorite is hunting Wild Turkey although I haven't
    been able to since I moved to VT because they didn't have
    a season for then in the northern part of the state but
    this Spring they are opening Turkey for the first time
    in these parts and they are plenty of them and I can hardly
    wait!

The game that we do have here consists of Moose, White Tail
    Deer, Snow Shoe Rabbit, Wild Turkey, Coyote, Bobcat,
    Black Bear and Fisher Cat.

As soon as the white stuff clears out of here maybe I can
    start having some fun.

Tac

Kdubya
    Kdubya
    (2/21/01 9:15:38 pm)
    Ruffitt:

Now, let me tell ya', I KNOW what snow snakes are! Used to live just south of the lake in northern Indiana, also worked out in WyomingSwede's country in the winter.
    Several of them critters done crawled up my pant legs and like ta' froze me to death at times. Guess that's one reason for being here - although 120 degree heat (don't let anyone tell you "Yes, but it's a dry heat!") during the summer is a little though, too.

Tac401:

Hope you get the opportunity for the Spring Turkey - would have thought Vermont would have all kinds of them. Just goes to show, I guess. Got a moose myself, back in '68. We had a fly-in camp in Canada, north of Minnesota. When the guide and I walked up on it, the 4" blade hunting knife in my hand felt sorta puny. Asked him which end he wanted help to start with, and he said "Hell, it doesn't matter, just grab hair, we're gonna be at it for a while!" That was the only wild game I ever brought home that my finicky wife and daugters wanted me to go back and get some more of!
    At one time, thought of going back to Canada for more moose and maybe caribou. Now, with their dumb gun regulations and charging US citizens $50.00 to register to bring in their hunting arms, decided they can keep their game for their own citizens - I don't need to go there, anymore.
    Keep off the Ridgeline!!

Tac401
    Administrator
    (2/21/01 9:46:24 pm)
    LOL!

kdubya, the first time I saw a Moose I almost had a cardiac
    arrest, the damn things are as a Ford Econoline, you can't
    see them at night either, their eyes don't reflect like
    deer, they just stand there and unfortunately there bodies
    are so high off the ground that when struck by a car all
    2,000+ pounds land right on the roof of the car causing a
    few fatalities every year.

However, they are delicious, I haven't hunted them at least
    not yet, you have to apply for a permit and it's a lottery.

Tac

Alphamale
    (2/26/01 10:00:30 pm)
    I'm huntin money, anyone know where I could find some?
    Also hunt whitetail deer, pigs, dove, and maybe turkey this year. Also been trying to go bear hunting, but we only have it in the upstate around here, and not many people get to fill their tags. Seems like bear know how to hide when they wanna.
    If guns are outlawed, can we use swords?

Kdubya
    Kdubya
    (2/26/01 10:20:59 pm)
    You're on your own huntin' the money, Alf - spent most of my life looking fer it. Finally gave up and retired. Now, find life is a little slower and more enjoyable not chasing the buck so much.
    Bear hunting is Arizona is sorta yes and no. There are concentrations of them in certain areas and are strictly permitted in the spring. In the fall, the tags are over the counter. They hold an area open until so many sows have been reported shot, then close the area. Have to keep in almost daily phone contact with the G & F to determine if the area you're in is still open or not. Not a bad system, but the number of bears taken here isn't great. Last spring and summer were so dry that around 18-20 reported bears ended up in the greater Pheonix urban areas. Most were young ones that got booted out of the 4 Peaks range about 40 miles northeast of Phoenix. They were merely bags of skin and a collection of bones. G & F would check them out, feed them some, then truck them to areas north of the valley for release.
    Keep off the Ridgeline!!

Bob In St Louis
    Bob In St. Louis
    (2/27/01 7:44:36 am)
    I've been hunting for a new job the past few months, finally bagged one. I probably won't think about huntin' any critters until squirrel season opens in the fall.
    Support the Dead Party, vote Harry S. Truman for Missouri Senate in 2002!

TYRVR
    TYRVR
    (2/27/01 8:20:48 am)
    SPRING GOBBLER Season here in The Old Dominion! starts in A couple of weeks! sitting on A ridge about Daylight and hear one come off the roost, use A mouth call to cluck at Him A time or two, and He'll fill the woods with noise! dragging them wings! and strutting around with His neck and head all swoll up! puff Himself up to about twice His size and cut loose with A Gobble that shakes the bark off the Oaks! what A Sight!

Tac401
    Administrator
    (2/27/01 10:06:57 am)
    I'm right there with ya on that one Tye, I can't wait!

Tac
    The Firearms Forum Vietnam Memories Bulletin Board sjdsports@hotmail.com

Kdubya
    Kdubya
    (2/27/01 5:53:38 pm)
    Havta' wait until the last Friday in April for Spring Turkey here, but I'm going!
    Keep off the Ridgeline!!

warpig883
    (3/30/01 8:04:34 am)
    I Hunt, coon,rabbit,squirrel,pheasant,goose,duck,quail,partridge,grouse,coyote,fox,mule deer,whitetail deer,minnows
    I Trap,
    beaver,muskrat,coon,coyote,fox,badger,minnows

I fear we have awaked a sleeping giant and filled it with a terrible resolve. Jap. Admiral Yamamota directly after Pearl Harbor

Kdubya
    (3/30/01 3:19:32 pm)
    Ain't them minnows a little hard to clean? What do you use for bait and what size hook? Sure have to catch a mess to have a meal!
    Keep off the Ridgeline!!

ghoti thumper
    (7/15/01 5:40:05 pm)
    I've been hunting for about 26 yrs now. Hunt Blacktail deer (around 50), Black bear (I've watched em all walk away for some reason), elk (two hunts 2 elk), mule deer (2 hunts, one mule deer), White tail deer (hunting muleys found a nice white tail), I've hunted quail, grouse, pigeon, and doves all with decent success. I've taken gray squirrel's when quail hunting for a nice mixed pot supper. I think that about does it. I am new to this board. Have read quite a few posts but don't write many. I came here from the "other side" wasn't invited but think from what I've seen I'll be at home here too. I reload for most of my rifles. I am pretty new at reloading though so can't contribute much by virtue of not knowing much. I do enjoy the discussion boards though. I fish too but that's a topic for another board I guess. Later all, good listening to you.

kdubaz
    (7/15/01 6:45:24 pm)
    Howdy, Ghoti Thumper -

Glad to have you here! You certainly don't need a special invite to join us - just a lust for firearms and making them go "Bang"!! Hope you enjoy your stay here and please do join in the discussions!

Sounds like you've mostly hunted in the Pacific states, somewhere. Never hunted the blacktail. Did you know the wildlife people are thinking the mule deer derived from the blacktail and the whitetail? Whatever, I enjoy all types of deer hunting, especially the little "Coues" whitetail deer here in southern Ariz. Also benn know to chase an elk or two. Haven't tagged a bear yet, either. Maybe some day.

Keep below the ridgeline!

ghoti thumper
    (7/16/01 2:19:04 am)
    Yeah I've heard stories different crosses. Just a bit east of here they have what are called locally "Blue Deer" A cross apparently between a blacktail and muley. From what I've heard the tail gives them away. They usually have the muley style tail while their ears are smaller and the overall size of the animal is smaller. I live in what I've heard referred to on the boards as the Kommunist state of Kalifornia. Its getting to the point where it is kost effective for us to hunt out of state more and more. I had a ton of fun in Montana and in Wyoming. Didn't draw out this year so I'll have to pack the horses up and spend some time in our wilderness areas. When you get to Mt Shasta, keep going north, then hang a left on the Klamath River for about 70 miles you might see me there someday.

kdubaz
    (7/16/01 12:24:07 pm)
    Sounds like a fun area, GT -

Isn't that the area where the farmers are fighting the state over water that is being maintained for a sucker fish and has been shut off for irrigation?

My oldest daughter is a "DJ" for KNCI FM radio in Sacramento. Keeps wanting me to come out when my wife goes over to visit - told her I really didn't lose anything in Kalif I need to go back and get. Sure feel for the gun owners and hunters of that state - seems the anti's just about have all the bases covered anymore.

Speaking of cross-breeds, this area has transition zones between the muley and the whitetail. Every once in a while, you'll find a mixture - called "muletails" here. Body like a whitetail, rack like a muley. The whitetail, being far more aggresive, is slowly driving the mule deer out of ranges that used to hold only the muley's. It's a shame, as I like to hunt both.
    Keep below the ridgeline!

ghoti thumper
    (7/19/01 1:42:58 am)
    Yeah the eco terrorist's have shut down the logging locally, I'm pretty sure if they did their homework though, just as many trees are being cut down globally. They just put the local population out of work. Now they have the river diverted away from the farmers. Its funny you know, the area where they are diverting the water from the farmers wouldn't have been wet in the first place if it weren't for the man made dams. People can't get to the issues. The suckers have survived for centuries with droughts come and gone, The problem with the eco terror's is they usually have mom and dad sending them a check just to stay away. Here we've had Earth First protests where the protestors will admit they really don't care about what they are protesting as long as Earth Firsts Rep's show up with their checks for minimum wage for time spent on the protest lines. I live in the middle of the Klamath National forest and "if" the USFS could get it right, they could log the forests on a rotational basis and cut forever. We have thousands upon thousands of acres of wilderness areas, The Marble Mountains, the Siskiyou Wilderness, the Trinity Alps, all of these areas are protected and we want them protected. The problem is the ET's want the whole thing. Too bad. Many generations of families devastated. Oh great ya got me started. I'd better quit while I'm behind. Great Forums.
  2. Crusty

Crusty New Member

I mostly hunt deer in NC. However I did travel to Africa to hunt Kudu, Blesbok, Impala and a few others. I mostly use black powder, for deer I use my flintlock. I did shot a 300 pound black bear with my flintlock a couple years ago. Now I'm thinking of Russian Bore.
  3. Petethefishman

Petethefishman New Member

Mule Deer, Red Sheep, Barbary Sheep....
  4. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

Moose, caribou, bear, seasonally. It's hitting minus 55 at night now, ain't hunting anything right now. I usually have wolves around the house come winter; not this winter though; haven't even seen any tracks on my trails behind the house either. We have some caribou wintering over on our summit, I think they got the wolves attention up there.
  5. Bocc44

Bocc44 New Member

It's all about the Whitetail deer with me. I just can't get enough. Everything else is gravy!
  6. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    What ever I can eat!
  7. NCHuntsman

NCHuntsman New Member

Mostly duck hunting, but any bird will do...deer hunting to pass the time...

A few quail yesterday with "Dallas"...

[​IMG]
  8. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Coyote

Attached Files: