What's a "Good" collection?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by deenb, Feb 4, 2012.

1. deenb

deenb New Member

I started collecting late in life (63) upon the death of my father-in-law. I'd grown up around guns and hunting but after 18 months in Viet Nam back in '68 and '69, shooting lost its luster. My father-in-law was an avid hunter and had quite a few fine firearms. His three daughters, my wife being one of them, inherited his estate, guns and all. Our daughter had just had our first and only grandson and this (my father-in-law's guns) got me to thinking about his education. At the time our savings was making less tham 1% so I looked up the value of the guns we'd just inherited and was pleased with the results, so I started to add to a "collection". Not knowing what I was doing, I've made some pretty stupid purchases. But I've made some good ones too! The entire collection so far comprises 24 long guns and 29 hand guns. I've got 6 Winchester 9422/9417/9410 of which three are NIB, two pre-war 94s, three pre-64 model 70s, a WWII Colt 1911 and an excellent war time Commando, a Garand and M1 Carbine (Underwood) several S&W Victorys, two Model 1917 45s (one Colt and one S&W), an excellent Python, a couple of the new Remington R1911s and other assorted NIB pieces. I list these not to brag but to illustrate how mis-directed I have been. It's not too late for me to get some direction, IF I KNEW WHICH WAY TO GO! This Forum is full of some excellent collectors, therefor, I'm asking for some guidence, what constitutes a good collection for someone with a VERY moderate income?
  2. joncutt87

joncutt87 Active Member

that would be an amazing collection on my budget.
  3. Ledslnger

Ledslnger New Member

I would say collect stuff you like and you need not really have a "direction". If you don't like it then don't buy it. But, if you are collecting in hopes of it being your stock market portfolio.....well, then I have no idea.
  4. bamajoey

bamajoey Well-Known Member

5. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

Well that's 53 pieces, kind of a collection in itself.

I guess it all depends on how you define collection, by age, mfgr, rarity, blackpowder, etc.

I am always going to round out something I don't have by caliber, gauge, size etc. Oh I guess there's another class guns you shoot and guns you clean and put in a case and don't use.
  6. deenb

deenb New Member

I shoot them all except for the NIB. My favorite is the Mini-14 (Bi-Centennial model) followed by the S&W Model 915. I was just wondering if I should try to find some of the true classics like the Browning A-5, Winchester 97, a Colt SAA, Winchester 1873 etc.