What's A Good Release

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by Jake, Oct 13, 2008.

1. Jake

Jake New Member

I just took my release out of my chop saw. Damn thing released when it wasn't supposed to. I am know the proud owner of a 1 1/2 inch long tear on my left forearm and one hell of a black and blue knot where an angry bow string bit the hell out of me. Was putting string silencers in and pulled the bow to full draw to make sure the silencers wouldn't interfere with anything. Laid the bow over just a bit to get a good look and the damn thing released on me. Kisser button is gone and there is a black mark on the carpet about the same size. The bow appears to be OK, but I didn't fair so well. So now I need a good release that WONT release until you touch the trigger. Or is there such a critter out there? I gotta get some pain relievers, my whole arm is starting to hurt. DAMN RELEASE!! Anybody need a gently cared for three piece release?:D:D:D
  2. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

I use a Winn free flight and have for 10-12 years. It actually feels like it reduces the pull effort due to it's design.
  3. RodneyJ

RodneyJ New Member

I have been using a true fire for a couple of years with no problems. I switched a few years ago due to problems like your having. I was drawing on a hog and the crazy thing released at half draw. thankfully it was a clean miss. I also had it release a few times after that while shooting at targets. I guess I was luky that it never bit me like yours has
  4. Jake

Jake New Member

I'm only a year and a few months late but I did get a new release last year. Bought a tru ball. This sucker is nice. got three deer this season also and not a single mishap due to the release. Much better!
  5. Roadkil

Roadkil New Member

I have used a Scott release for the last 10 years and like. It has a hair trigger; takes little effort to release the string. It is the last release I purchased, been shooting with it for 10 years, no failures. Nothing fancy, all black release with leather straps. The below link is similar to the one I have been using all these years.

http://www.scottarchery.com/archery-releases/single-caliper-releases-mongoose.php
  6. fritz

fritz New Member

i use a scott pro caliper release, have been using scott releases for 19 years, never had any problems. You can adjust the trigger pull on them.
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2010
  7. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    try a tru ball sniper release,they are awsome. old semperfi
  8. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I know this will sound like sacrilege, but what's wrong with using your fingers?
  9. fritz

fritz New Member

I like to hit what i am shooting at. I have shot competitive archery over 15 years, both indoor and 3-d tournaments, a good release is very important to having consistent accuracy. You will never get as smooth of a release with your fingers as you will with a release. You get inconsistent string drag off your fingers and also get string torque. Dont get me wrong, there are some people that do shoot pretty good with fingers, but not many that have a great amount of consistency, that is why finger shooters have there own class in competitive shooting.
  10. Jake

Jake New Member

I do practice using my fingers. Just in case I get out there and have release problems. I shoot a little high and left but not enough to miss at 30 yards. I dont think! Haven't had to shoot a deer with my fingers but I think I can connect if need be.