What's a WWI 1911 Worth?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Blimp Edwards, Nov 10, 2012.

1. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

That barrel has been wire brushed, there are still some deep pits in it.
  2. Blimp Edwards

Blimp Edwards New Member

3. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

4. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

I would do alot of shopping before I spent 2000 on one.
  5. Blimp Edwards

Blimp Edwards New Member

The cd for $20 has the whole book on it?

I just threw that $2000 example out there as a curiosity. I have found some other examples that are tempting at some of the auction sites for under a grand. At that price, even if they turn out not to be a legit WWI era gun it seems like it's still an okay price for a 1911, supposing it shoots.

Dan
  6. TheGunClinger

Pretty much, although it is a pain to find what you are looking for which is why I like the book. I would rather have the big book but it is way expensive so I am content with the small book. Its still a pretty good deal what with the CD the Clawson book and that other book which didnt come with mine.:(. BTW, I got a 1943/44 Ithaca M1911A1 that is a parts gun. It has the correct frame and slide and most of the internals. The only parts on mine that are not Ithaca are the mainspring housing which has 9 ribs (I need a 7 rib) and the right grip which is a Colt. Looks almost like the Keyes grip that came with the Ithaca. With the Clawson book you can look up all those details and know what you got. Mine is in pretty good condition on the outside and the internals look new. I have a few pics in my album either on page one or two. Paid $400 for it with the Pilots shoulder holster and 1943 .45 ball ammo.
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  7. Blimp Edwards

Blimp Edwards New Member

Wow, that's really a price I can get behind. Where did you find it? Gun show?

Dan
  8. TheGunClinger

I got it from a relatives boyfriend. Neither of us at the time knew anything about that gun so I offered $400 and he jumped at it. After that I got the Clawson book and have been learning mucho stuff about the M1911A1.
  9. Blimp Edwards

Blimp Edwards New Member

Nice! Maybe I'll get lucky like that some day.

Dan
  10. Blimp Edwards

Blimp Edwards New Member

What are your thoughts on this one? An "X" serial number?

( dot com link, am I not allowed to mention them? My apologies if so.)

Dan
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2012
  11. Jim K

Jim K New Member

That gun is in terrible shape. It has been heavily rusted, wire brushed, then refinished. Further, at some point, its serial number was removed/obliterated and it was renumbered by an army depot or arsenal. ("X" numbers were used to replace serial numbers that had been obliterated.)

The current bid is $490 and IMHO it is probably not worth that, even as a shooter. It is certainly not worth any more.

Jim
  12. Blimp Edwards

Blimp Edwards New Member

I agree. I feel like the MODEL OF 1911 US ARMY stamp seems phony, too. Like it was restamped. It's not like others I've seen which are very thin and not as deep.

Dan
  13. Blimp Edwards

Blimp Edwards New Member

I think I'm picking up on a few things. I'm looking at a gun that seems to have an early frame with the more complex (Times New Roman?) font where it reads "UNITED STATES PROPERTY" mixed with a later slide that has a simpler font (Ariel?) where the patent info and "MODEL OF 1911 US ARMY" is stamped. Am I right? When did the font change?

Dan
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2012
  14. oldmedik

oldmedik New Member

hey guys, and double d lol, sarco has some old colts, ballester molinas, and the systema colts a few days ago. from 600 down, they were police issue, non military, but gorgeous old guns

martin
  15. Blimp Edwards

Blimp Edwards New Member

Thanks for the tip, just took a look at them. Not bad at all! Though I'll probably hold out for a US Army model, just because that's really what I'm after. The ones they're selling are from an Argentina police department. Very tempting at those prices, though.

Dan