What's best for first gun?

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Stoop14, Sep 26, 2010.

1. grcsat

grcsat Member

Stoop14

Hi, there is a lot of really good advice given on this thread, however you never told us were in Canada you are going. Canada is a big place with a lot of different weather conditions and depending where you are will dictate what guns you can use to the best of thier ability and performance. ie Kamloops - you can use anything because of its semi desert climate. Churchill - super cold- true military semi is ok, civilian (like norinco) is no-no.your gun will not function properly, pump will not be reliable at all ,so only use bolt action . shot gun in churchill single shot break open is best.As for 22 any bolt action is ok,clip load -good ,tube load-bad.

So where are you going?
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
  2. LewiSS

LewiSS New Member

I don't believe anyone has mentioned my favorite .22 rifle for both newbies and pros alike: the Henry lever action. I have had two (.22 and .17 HMR) and just love their quality and accuracy. I like the model that looks like the Winchester '92, but they also build a "traditional" Henry style in Brasslite. Both are outstanding, made in America, and good bargains. www.henryrepeating.com
  3. jblair

jblair New Member

I am interested in a 22LR rifle as well to use with my son when we go to the range. I was looking at a Ruger 1140R which I believe is a variation of their 1022 platform. Is this correct and would this be a good choice for a starter 22?
  4. RustyBarrel111

RustyBarrel111 New Member

I started with a .22lr. It's definetly the way to go. Mine was a bolt action, and that really helped to teach me the importance of "one shot, one kill". Once you get your discipline and accuracy down, I would graduate to something else.
  5. GSL

GSL New Member

Dear Sirs,
    My first .22LR, was a Rem.513T
    with a Weaver T10x , and I learned
    to shoot it as a single shot.
    I bought it used for around 300.00
    plus the scope and rings.
    My cost was around 600.00 tops.
    That rifle could shoot quarters at 100yds.
    GSL.
  6. gendoikari87

gendoikari87 Former Guest

In my experience the 10/22 out of the box is fairly accurate, not something I'd want to go to competition with but it's good enough for beginners, it's fun a perfect gun for fun plinking, but as others said autoloaders might not be best to train up on.

Currently I'm using a Ruger Mark III 22/45, and it's a blast. Probably more than it should be once I get that red dot scope mounted on it.