whats best scope for a 300 weatherby mag

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Gunhammer, May 28, 2009.

1. Gunhammer

Gunhammer New Member

i just wanted to see what everyone thought would be the best scope for my 300 weatherby mag. i've heard scopes get knocked out of whack with high recoil rifles, i would appreciate feedback on this. i was looking at the simmons aetec.
  2. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

It is allways best to get the best scope you can afford. That said the other weak link in the chain, are the rings and bases. Do not, do not, do not, go cheap here. I personally like steel Warne brand rings and bases. You should be able to find them on the net and at Cabelas. You also want your scope to be bolted in with 4 bolts or screws per ring. I also recommend having a gun shop mount it to torque specification for you. This means probably staying away from Wally World and going to a gun shop. Usually if you buy a scope from a gun shop they will mount it for free.

Stick to the Warne equiptment, you will not be sorry.;)

When it comes to scopes, rings and bases you generally get what you pay for. thats my 02.

http://www.warnescopemounts.com/fixed_rings.html
    Last edited: May 28, 2009
  3. retired grunt

retired grunt New Member

Read the details/warranty on a scope... Look for shockproof..unlimited ...lifetime..warranty
  4. Suwannee Tim

Suwannee Tim New Member

The carbon steel Warne scope mounts are powder coated. I ordered a pair and was not pleased. I expected blued steel. If you know you are getting power coated and still want them, fine.
  5. retired grunt

retired grunt New Member

+1 on only steel. I have a terrible tale about aluminum rings on a muzzleloader
  6. 9 fingers

9 fingers New Member

I really like the Millet Angle loc rings. As for the scope...lots of choices, depends on how much you want to spend. I have an Aetec and it is decent but it is a short scope and you have to be carefull to make sure you can mount it for proper eye relief. Even with extension rings I could not get it far enough back on my Husqvarna.