what's best

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by gunlearner, Feb 14, 2007.

1. gunlearner

gunlearner New Member

hi everyone am from ecuador and i have to choose what is best for a female friend of my wife's. she wants to own a handgun and the choises we have in ecuador are not many so the question is a revolver .38 or a 9mm taurus pt111.
    my reasons are the following
    taurus pt111 more ammo capacity small and grips for small hands
    doa which is better consistensy.
    disadvantage: any pistol at any given time may malfunction. woman don't have much strenght to pull the rail.

revolver almost never jams, small grips da/sa
    disadvantage: small fire capacity 5 rounds

based on this what do you guys think?
  2. paramedic70002

paramedic70002 New Member

I would go with the 111 as long as she handled it well prior to purchase. It's always comforting to have too much ammo versus too little. Multiple assailants and the ability to provide covering fire come to mind as 2 reasons why more = better.

Just out of curiosity, can you give us a brief description of Equador's laws as they pertain to firearms ownership and carrying a concealed weapon?
  3. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

I will depend on her. How much shootin experience does she have? What fitts her hand. She has plenty of power to rack the slide but she ain't doing it right
  4. Overall, gunlearner, I would probably go with the revolver in .38 special for her, mostly based on its simplicity of operation. The PT-111 is an excellent pistol and certainly do the job adequately, but if, as you indicate, she has trouble with operation of the slide, that could create a major problem at the worst possible time. If possible, get one of the smaller revolvers, a J-frame Smith & Wesson if you can, or perhaps an old Colt Detective Special if you can find one. Another good choice would be one of the Rossi revolvers that are made by Taurus of Brazil now. They are very good quality and about the size of the old Colt Detective Specials with a six-round capacity. If they are available to you, I would also pick up a speed loader.
  5. rosierita

rosierita New Member

get her the revolver & some speed loaders.
  6. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

I agree on the J-frame sized revolver and at least two speed loaders.
  7. sorral

sorral New Member

I say shoot everything you can and then decide.. Myself I am a 1911 guy, and luckally My wife likes them too.
    we just got each other new ones for valentines day