The Firearms Forum banner

Whats for dinner???

191K views 2K replies 115 participants last post by  flyingtiger85 
#1 ·
Were having "Salad" (salad was the name of our red angus steer)

T-Bones, Burgers, and Becks Broiled taters, and I think shes got some corn and green beans on the stove...mmmm:)

Sorry Beth :D

#229 ·
They are very good. If you are bacon intolerant you can grill them bare and they still turn out great.. Just brush them with a little EVOO and garlic salt to keep them from sticking to the grill.

Reactions: gdmoody
#232 ·
If you cant get Anaheims you can use just about any chile pepper. Surely you have Jalapenos in CT? They come out tasting almost just like anaheims when prepared the same way. You just have to take extra care to wash the heat off of them. I find it helps to soak them in ice water after cutting the tops off and scraping the cores out. After they have soaked an hour or three just wash them out real good with warm water and set em aside to be stuffed.. I have prepared jalapenos that were just as mild as a bell pepper but with all the wonderfull flavor of the jalapeno. Its really sad. Most of the HOT chiles really are delicious peppers but the heat makes them unbearable for some folks. And the hotter the chile, the harder it is to wash the heat out.

Just remember, 99% of the heat in a hot chile pepper is in the seed core and the light colored membrane that holds it to the pepper. If you scrape that all out and wash it really good, the heat is gone.

#233 ·
They are very good. If you are bacon intolerant you can grill them bare and they still turn out great.. Just brush them with a little EVOO and garlic salt to keep them from sticking to the grill.
What is this "bacon intolerant" you speak of? is this a subliminal message to our muslim brothers? Is it like "lactose intolerant"? Is it yet another disorder? I've never heard of such.:confused:

#234 ·
Some NON MUSLIM folks just dont like bacon. I worked with a chick back in early 2003 that wouldnt touch it becasue it was mostly fat. IMO its unamerican to not like bacon, but that still doesnt mean you cant enjoy a great grilled stuffed pepper. Just not quite in the glory it can be with bacon..:D

Plus, there is seemingly a rare case where people truly believe they are allergic to swine. They are called Adventists I believe..;) I grew up in an Adventist home, but ate bacon daily. My Aunt (moms older sister) is one of these self proclaimed bacon allergy people. So when she comes to my house for cookouts I have to prepare her grilled peppers with olive oil and garlic salt instead of good ol bacon and crushed pepper..

#235 ·
All joking aside PF, http://medsavailable.com/articles/pork-allergy.

My aunt Liz really is allergic to the protiens in pork. It is a rare meat allergy disorder and she is the only person I have ever known personally to have it.

That chick I worked with, April Brown, just didnt like bacon. I dunno, she might have been a muslim..:eek:

#237 ·
You will be fine, just scrub them out real good and soak em in water for a hour or two before stuffing/wrapping them. And just in case your pepper cleaning technique is insufficient, grab a pint of vanilla icecream for just in case..;)

#239 · (Edited)
This was one of the meals I grilled over the weekend.....Pork loin, corn bread, potatoes, and blackberry cobbler.

First one is before the loin hits the grill. I have smoothered this with spicy brown mustard, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and sage. Second picture is halfway done, and the last one is done. The family didn't want this BBQ'd so I made a gravy from the fat drippings and remaining apple juice that i basted the loin with that was in the pan. It was good!

#241 ·
Indeed it is. That loin turned out exquisite. I can almost taste it by looking at it..;)

#242 · (Edited)
This is anohter that I grilled over the weekend.

Similar to the tilapia I cooked earlier in the year, but this time I used different ingredients.

I took about 40 crappie that I had caught earlier in the spring and divided them into in two big roasting pans. Hit the fillets with pepper, paprika, and cayenne pepper. Placed some butter on each fillet, and then cut up one green pepper, one red pepper, and one orange pepper, along with some onion that was sliced. Placed half in one pan and the other half in the other.

Covered with foil and grilled with indirect heat for about 15 minutes, removed from heat, added sliced tomato, a little beer, recovered and grilled for another 15 minutes, or until the fish flaked easily with a fork and the tomatoes were heated through. Then I did it again with the second patch. This is what it looked like when done and it was awesome.

#245 ·
I didnt either until I grew up and started holding cookouts at my own house. Theres always some sort of swine on my grill or smoker. I found out the hard way. I made homemade spinach dip, which of course had fresh bacon bits in it, and she ate it not realizing because I run em thru the food processor to make em real small. She got sick, broke out in hives and puked all over my porch.. Then it dawned on my mom.. "Aw $#!+! Liz is allergic to pork!" Im like WTF?? Are you serious??? I thot they were joking with me, until my sister, (who has a nut allergy and keeps an 'ep-pen' in her purse) hit her with a dose and she was fine in like 3 minutes.. From then on, I cant even let Lizs food touch the grease in the pot. I gotta keep it separate.

#246 ·
I don't know how I missed this thread, but I'll be glad to join in. I participate in a couple of other "What's for Dinner?" thread on other sites, and you sure get a lot of good recipes that. Here's one from a couple of weeks ago. Just simple Summer food of ribs, 'tater salad and sweet corn. It don't gotta be fancy to be good.

#248 · (Edited)
Tonight's dinner. Pulled chicken wraps with Spanish rice, salad and bi-color corn on the cob.

I put the rice in with the pulled chicken, coated the tortilla with sour cream and topped it with SBR sauce.

I didn't like the 22 oz. rotisserie chickens at the store this morning, so I baked a whole 5# chicken in my oven for the same price, then made 2-1/2 C of gravy with the drippings. Put that in the freezer for another day. The Spanish rice was an experiment. I put 1-1/2C rice, 3-1/2C chicken stock and one 15.5 oz. jar of mild salsa all in a pan, brought it to a boil then let simmer for 30 minutes. Everyone loved it. We have enough left over for me and DW for dinner tomorrow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.