Whats for dinner???

Discussion in 'Ruffit's Domestic & Wild Game Cooking/ Recipe Foru' started by JLA, Jan 10, 2011.

1. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Indeed it is. That loin turned out exquisite. I can almost taste it by looking at it..;)
  2. Roadkil

Roadkil Member

This is anohter that I grilled over the weekend.

Similar to the tilapia I cooked earlier in the year, but this time I used different ingredients.

I took about 40 crappie that I had caught earlier in the spring and divided them into in two big roasting pans. Hit the fillets with pepper, paprika, and cayenne pepper. Placed some butter on each fillet, and then cut up one green pepper, one red pepper, and one orange pepper, along with some onion that was sliced. Placed half in one pan and the other half in the other.

Covered with foil and grilled with indirect heat for about 15 minutes, removed from heat, added sliced tomato, a little beer, recovered and grilled for another 15 minutes, or until the fish flaked easily with a fork and the tomatoes were heated through. Then I did it again with the second patch. This is what it looked like when done and it was awesome.
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

excellent. Im a big fish head..
  4. permafrost

permafrost Active Member

Roadkil: My mouth is watering!

JLA: I had no idea such a thing existed. Sad for your aunt.
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I didnt either until I grew up and started holding cookouts at my own house. Theres always some sort of swine on my grill or smoker. I found out the hard way. I made homemade spinach dip, which of course had fresh bacon bits in it, and she ate it not realizing because I run em thru the food processor to make em real small. She got sick, broke out in hives and puked all over my porch.. Then it dawned on my mom.. "Aw $#!+! Liz is allergic to pork!" Im like WTF?? Are you serious??? I thot they were joking with me, until my sister, (who has a nut allergy and keeps an 'ep-pen' in her purse) hit her with a dose and she was fine in like 3 minutes.. From then on, I cant even let Lizs food touch the grease in the pot. I gotta keep it separate.
  6. JoeV

JoeV Active Member

I don't know how I missed this thread, but I'll be glad to join in. I participate in a couple of other "What's for Dinner?" thread on other sites, and you sure get a lot of good recipes that. Here's one from a couple of weeks ago. Just simple Summer food of ribs, 'tater salad and sweet corn. It don't gotta be fancy to be good.

[​IMG]
  7. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

you got that right JoeV
  8. JoeV

JoeV Active Member

Tonight's dinner. Pulled chicken wraps with Spanish rice, salad and bi-color corn on the cob.

[​IMG]

I put the rice in with the pulled chicken, coated the tortilla with sour cream and topped it with SBR sauce.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I didn't like the 22 oz. rotisserie chickens at the store this morning, so I baked a whole 5# chicken in my oven for the same price, then made 2-1/2 C of gravy with the drippings. Put that in the freezer for another day. The Spanish rice was an experiment. I put 1-1/2C rice, 3-1/2C chicken stock and one 15.5 oz. jar of mild salsa all in a pan, brought it to a boil then let simmer for 30 minutes. Everyone loved it. We have enough left over for me and DW for dinner tomorrow.
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  9. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

Josh went to the farm yesterday and he has anaheims he said will be ready in a week or two so i will get to try them yes!
  10. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Excellent Beth. You are gonna love them!
  11. Fast Forward

Fast Forward Member

Black Angus Porterhouse,,Corn on the Cobb,,Baked Potato,,nothing Fancy
  12. dad2thebone

dad2thebone New Member

I'm hungry now! Enchiladas sound so good i guess i'll have make some tonite! thx fr the i dea.Or drive over the hill to Inland empire lol.
  13. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

Josh can i freeze those peppers
  14. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

yes. theyll keep. just wrap them tight with stretch wrap and stick em in a freezer bag.

It is best to cook them within a few days though. Theyll keep in the freezer just fine but just dont quite have the fresh pepper flavor like they do when cooked fresh and firm.. But it just might be my sophisticated palate..;)
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  15. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

i've some jerky on the stove cooking away for breakfast , sorta a aussie version of S#!* on a shingle ... cook on low heat over night with some gravy and water added , this has cooked down for a couple hours and is ready to add the last lot of water and the potatoe, they'll thicken it up a heap and most of the water will dissipate by morning on the lowest setting

its a traditional camp dish , for drovers ( herdsmen ) and some dumpling ( suet dumplings)

Damper bread , sweet black tea mmmm thats how we used to do it when i was a kid .. just treating myself .. good to remember simple is often the best

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011