The Firearms Forum banner

Whats for dinner???

191K views 2K replies 115 participants last post by  flyingtiger85 
#1 ·
Were having "Salad" (salad was the name of our red angus steer)

T-Bones, Burgers, and Becks Broiled taters, and I think shes got some corn and green beans on the stove...mmmm:)

Sorry Beth :D

#552 ·
Sorry Beth, I didnt take pics, but the wife made her famous spanish rice, homemade refired beans and chicken & cheese enchiladas. I think I gained 10 pounds tonight.. :p

#556 ·
does anyone know how to make dirty rice?
Beth - Zatarain's is a good package mix. look here

Scratch recipe - here I was born in Shreveport and I use Zatarain's, Wal-mart's or Tony Chachere's mixes. Much easier and tastes good.

Ingredients

2 cups enriched rice
4 cups chicken stock
4 cloves minced garlic
1 1/2 cups diced white onion
1 cup diced green bell pepper
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
Salt and pepper
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 bay leaf
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 pound pork sausage meat
1/4 pound ground beef
1/2 pound chicken giblets
1 bunch green onions, chopped

Directions

In colander, rinse rice several times until water runs clear. Place rice in pot and add chicken stock. Bring to a boil then cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Do not overcook.

Saute garlic, onions and bell peppers in vegetable oil until soft for about 15 minutes. Season with salt, pepper, thyme, bay leaf and cayenne and add to rice. Cook sausage and ground beef together in sautepan and add to rice.

In separate pot place giblets, cover with water and simmer for 30 minutes with green onions, salt and pepper. Let cool enough to chop into small dice then add to rice mixture. Mix rice well and let simmer on lowest heat for an additional 30 minutes, stirring continuously, until flavors meld.

#557 · (Edited)
Beth - Zatarain's is a good package mix. look here

Scratch recipe - I was born in Shreveport and I use Zatarain's, Wal-mart's or Tony Chachere's mixes. Much easier and tastes good.

Ingredients

2 cups enriched rice
4 cups chicken stock
4 cloves minced garlic
1 1/2 cups diced white onion
1 cup diced green bell pepper
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
Salt and pepper
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 bay leaf
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 pound pork sausage meat
1/4 pound ground beef
1/2 pound chicken giblets
1 bunch green onions, chopped

Directions

Saute` veggies in oil until clear, add chicken, pork & beef. Season & cook until done. Chop chicken giblets. Bring stock to a boil and add rice and stir. Cook 2 minutes and add the rest of the ingredients. Cook about 20 minutes

#564 ·
Jack, I don't know how many you are feeding, but if were there you ain't got near enough!

#565 ·
Do what 45nut said, buy the Zatarain's! Total time in the kitchen, 20mins.

Try some of the other box dinners Zatarain's has, my favorite is the Spicy Jambalaya Mix. But the wife won't eat it so we buy the regular, and I add some Louisiana hot sauce to mine. The Red Beans, and rice, is another hit! http://www.zatarains.com/Products/Jambalaya.aspx

#574 ·
No picts, but man is it good. Halupki. Pigs in the blanket, stuffed cabbage. Birthday party out the Indian Village tonight. Wife made 2 crockpots, one just done, second in fridge. Got to absorb the alcohol before hittin the hay. Them Hunkies know how to cook, and paprika, man; ought to be a law. Couple downriver Indian friends flying in on Tuesday, they grew up on cabbage & salmon. They'll enjoy the halupki more than the caribou. Halupki, mashed tatoes, and tomato gravy, I luv it.

#576 ·
No picts, but man is it good. Halupki. Pigs in the blanket, stuffed cabbage. Birthday party out the Indian Village tonight. Wife made 2 crockpots, one just done, second in fridge. Got to absorb the alcohol before hittin the hay. Them Hunkies know how to cook, and paprika, man; ought to be a law. Couple downriver Indian friends flying in on Tuesday, they grew up on cabbage & salmon. They'll enjoy the halupki more than the caribou. Halupki, mashed tatoes, and tomato gravy, I luv it.
Ooooohhhh yeah, good ol' hunkie food, but isn't food a great international language all on it's own? Going way North, South, East, West for new ideas it doesn't matter.

That's why I like this food forum. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.