1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Whats for dinner???

Discussion in 'Ruffit's Domestic & Wild Game Cooking/ Recipe Foru' started by JLA, Jan 10, 2011.

1. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

ROTF, yup! Thats a poor boy peach cobbler before baking... Not too bad really.
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Well donny, You prolly aint gotta figure too much Ive had my fair share of mrs bairds topped peach cobblers.

Foil pan, can of peaches, a little oatmeal, some brown sugar and a mrs bairds crust. It is indeed quite good.
  3. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

4. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

I ground up some moose in this small grinder I've used for years and made chili today. Hadn't had any in months sure was hungry for it too, wifey don't cook some things like chili & liver & onions, ect. But the halupki is fantastic and she usually makes 2 crock pots and we eat it for at least a week.
  5. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

Zhurh,

Know what you mean about chili. Colder weather, and I am ready for some of that! Sounds goooood!

regards, Kirk
  6. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I threw another chicken in the rotisserie last night. Marinated it in lemon juice, garlic, and some Tony Chachere Creole seasoning. It went well with the vegetable medley I threw together, mini corn on the cob, snow beans, yellow squash, broccoli florets, cauliflower, carrots, and some red, and green bell peppers (all steamed). Washed it down with some fresh sassafras tea!
  7. terryu1

terryu1 Armed Infidel Supporting Member

Southern BBQ pulled pork ... I hope. One of my first attempts. Got Indirect heat set up with hickory chips and later will add some fresh apple wood. Hope to get done by 8 or 9 this evening.

Attached Files:

8. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

that little pan of water makes all the difference!
  9. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Were gonna grill some steaks tonight, with grilled stufft portabella caps and grilled veggie skewers.
  10. terryu1

Really, I never did that before and saw it on a few BBQ pages I searched for some advice. I just told my wife I should have come here first as I remembered several members are quite distinguished Grill Masters and are also Southern. I hope I pass the test so I am allowed to move to North Carolina in two years when I retire LOL.
  11. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Yeah, that pan of water will help keep the temperature even and moist. Itll help cut cooking time down too. It really makes a difference with chicken and pork because they are qick to dry out.

I usually keep a pan of beer in the smoker when I smoke out. Dont buy the good stuff to boil in the smoker though. I buy natty light or keystone light for the smoker pan and budweizer for me.
  12. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

and you got your work cut out for ya movin to NC and proclaiming good pork BBQ, NC is to pulled pork what TX is to briskets.

A pretty big part of the secret to 'slap yo mamma good BBQ' is a good sauce. IMO, the sauce has to be good enough to drink. I really really like the taste of KC Masterpiece Original, but the big problem with commercial sauces is they are all far too thick and have too much sugar in them which causes them to want to burn and carmelize too quickly. A little 'no sugar added' apple juice is the perfect way to make KC into the perfect sauce. Cut it at least 50/50 and bring it to a boil. It is good enough to drink.. ;)
  13. terryu1

Actually I do have some Slap Yo Mama sauce in cabinet. I also like hot sauces etc and I order from Carolina Sauce Co on the net. I like their price shipping and they also have a thing where you donate any amount you want and they match it and send hot sauces, BBQ sauces condiments etc in bottles and gift sets over to our soldiers overseas.

I would never go down there and challenge anyone. I merely aim to be accepted.
  14. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

If you get a kankerin for some good hot BBQ sauce heres an easy recipe..

Get a handful of fresh hot chile peppers.
    My deadly combination is a 5/5/5 sauce. I place 5 Jalapenos, 5 serranos, and 5 habaneros all in a pile on the smoker. I usually just pile them on top of whatever meat im cookin in there and smoke them until they are soft. usually takes about 2 hours and that pan of water needs to be in there. Then pull them and take the stems off and put the whole peppers in the blender all together. Puree them until the seeds are even thoroughly chopped up and mix them into your favorite BBQ sauce, you may need to add a bit of sauce to the puree to get it thin enough to blend thoroughly. It is killer BBQ sauce that is equally as good as it is hot.
  15. terryu1

Thanks I will try it. My wife does not care for the spice but this time of year friends of mine usually give me some of their extra fresh habeneros, jalapenos etc from their garden.