Whats for dinner???

Discussion in 'Ruffit's Domestic & Wild Game Cooking/ Recipe Foru' started by JLA, Jan 10, 2011.

1. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

Corned beef is in the crockpot fer tonight, and 3 lbs of Chinook ready for the smoker in a couple hours. The salmon is for a friend at works Mom. He don't eat it.:rolleyes: And he's even tried mine.:eek:
  2. terryu1

terryu1 Armed Infidel Supporting Member

Almost there, few more hrs. Water ran out in pan. I did not want to be opening the grill to check too much. filled with some beer as JLA suggested and injected the roasts with some apple juice to add some moisture. The roasts are EXTREMELY tender and lots of smoke. Thanks JLA for the advice. ALL tips appreciated as I am very novice here

Attached Files:

3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

When smoking or slow cooking over indirect heat on a grill you can open and check as often as you need to, just remember for every time you open the cooker, you have to add appx 15 to 20 minutes to the cooking time.
  4. Fast Forward

Fast Forward Member

My Russian Grandmother used to make a stuffed cabbage called Halupsa is that what your Halupki is,,FF
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I know halupki is stuffed cabbage, never had it but its in several of the wifes cook books. I googled halupsa and google wants me to change the spelling to chalupa, so Im guessin its the same thing, and makes sense too since russia is actually closer to AK than the USA is.
  6. terryu1

terryu1 Armed Infidel Supporting Member

Yeah we are a big Polish area and halupki and several other names is the cabbage rolls. Usually hamburger with sometimes rice in it rolled in steamed cabbage leaves and in a tomato based sauce. I feel he may be speaking of Haluski which is cabbage chopped up and steamed with side noodles, onion and butter.
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

mmmm, either one sounds delicious. i love cabbage
  8. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

Venison Stew. Same process a beef stew but with Bambi and his Mother instead of Bessie the cow. Garden Cauliflower Broccoli carrots and store baught I-da-ho taters and a diced onion and some fine chopped Garlic. Home made Corn Bread.
  9. Fast Forward

Fast Forward Member

Yes that the stuff My granparents were from Grodno in Beylaruss,,which is reasonablly close to the Polish Border,also a Luggin Friend of mine says his Ma makes a similiar dish
  10. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

My wife's people from Hungary, Slovakia, and though they don't claim it, Poland too; I know these things from living 26 years with her. So Halupki is a standard Hunkie food. The wife mixes ground beef, rice, stewed tomatoes, sauercraut, egg, bread crumb, ketchup, and I don't know what else. She then cores a cabbage and boils it until leaves separate. Then she rolls up the mixture in the leaves so you have a bunch of cabbage rolls stuffed with rice, sauercraut, meat, tomatoes, ect. She then stacks the cabbage rolls in crock pots with sauercraut and stew tomatoes all around them. She usually sticks one pot in fridge and cooks the other one overnight. We eat it with mashed potatoes & this tomato gravy she makes and eat it for days, always better 2nd day like all sauercraut. I only ate it at polish weddings and such until I met my wife, we eat it once or twice a month now. Then Indians out the village even like it and you'll never hear them complain about halupki being filthy white man's food, ha ha. You all ought to cook some up, it's good stuff actually.

All Eastern Europeans and Russians and polish people eat the stuff, even Germans and Siberians eat it but they often use pork for meat. I've had tourists here from all over the place and they eat it in Europe, anywhere they grow cabbage. I have a Russkie buddy who lives in Fairbanks, just became an American citizen and they eat it all the time too. Every country has different name, but they all begin with Hal something.

Wife and I were originally from the Burgh, Steeltown; and all kinds of ethnic communities with rich heritage of food and culture being part of their lives even though nobody ever goes back to Eastern Europe, ha ha.

We do have many Russians here in Alaska, due to Siberia being so close, no joke I can see it on a clear day, just ask Sarah, she'll tell ya. The Russians come here anyway they can, usually under religious persecution reasons, but everyone of them will tell ya the real reason is because life is better here than in Russia. They all become Americans too and their kids don't even speak Russian. My one buddy is in an adult hockey league in Fairbanks, spends all his time with his boy's travel team;;;; Now he still thinks Russian Players better hockey players, ha ha. Yet this same guy had to come to Alaska cause his ancestors were from Germany (Catherine the Great Era) and in Russia today, if you have a German sounding name, you are a second class citizen. He came here to achieve the dream, and you can't fault anybody for that.
  11. Fast Forward

Fast Forward Member

Because Grodno was close to the Polish and Lithuanian Border there was a lot of cuisine trading also a Large Population Of Russian Jews before WW11,,I remember because my Granparents being Eastern Orthodox celebrating two Chrismases and two Easters,,Hunkie havent seen that name for a long time,,,In my old Neighborhood back in Chicago ,,if you wern,t Italian or Irish you were just a Dumb Pollack,,FF
  12. American Leader

American Leader Well-Known Member

JLA, I think you would eat anything!
  13. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I draw the line at some things... Wont eat squid, octopus, oysters, mussels, etc. Dont like slimey.. Dont much care for oatmeal, unless its cookies. Pretty much hate yogurt. Tried calamari and escargo once, ONCE, then i threw up. Sushi gave me the heeby jeebys til i actually tried it once, i was drunk, and hungry, and there was all kinds of strange food sittn around, some of it was sushi and i ate some without even knowing what it was, It was actually quite good.. Stupidest thing i ever ate was a ghost chili, F THAT! Ill let someone shoot me point blank in the nuts with a .22 before EVER eating one of them evil peppers again. A 40 grainer to the boyz would be far less painful i think. Yuck, menudo, disgusting, cow guts belong in the hotdogs and dogfood, not in my soup.. Im sure there are others, but as you can see my list of no gos mostly consist of things I have tried before..;)
  14. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

You were drunik and hungry. Don't ever forget that, because you will not have the same experience sober. If you would not savor the flavor of pulling a fish out of the lake and sucking his guts into your mouth through his anus, then I can almost guarentee you will not like true sushi while you are sober. Lot's of people eat california rolls in sushi restaraunts and think they are eating sushi. A california roll is just rice wrapped up in seaweed, but no fish. Depending on the type and wilt of the seaweed, it sometimes takes on a color and flavor of a raw fish fillet.
    I'm starting to feel my gag reflex coming on, so I'm going to end this befor
  15. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

......Came on faster than I thought.