The Firearms Forum banner

Whats for dinner???

191K views 2K replies 115 participants last post by  flyingtiger85 
#1 ·
Were having "Salad" (salad was the name of our red angus steer)

T-Bones, Burgers, and Becks Broiled taters, and I think shes got some corn and green beans on the stove...mmmm:)

Sorry Beth :D

#854 ·
Are you sure we're not brothers from different mothers??? :p:p Sure looks good. As a kid, my mother would make polenta to go with beef stew that she called "goulash." Then the next day we would have fried polenta for breakfast.
Maybe! I don't know how much my father messed around before meeting my mom! :D

Goulash on this side of the country is macaroni with chopped tomatoes, ground beef and spices. But, I understand what some call 'goulash' is beef stew for the rest of us.

Why do beef stew leftovers always taste better?

Beef Stew and Cornbread Leftovers

#855 ·
DD called and wanted to join us for dinner and asked for chicken. I said yes, even though we just had it last night on the pasta primavera, and told her to get some peppers and an onion and I would make chicken kabobs. Also threw together some fried taters and DW made one of her great salads. Fresh chocolate chip cookies for dessert.

#858 ·
The last two posts are making me hungry! Great work, gentlemen!

Had a salami sandwich for brunch. Spinach and spring salad with kidney, garbanzo beans, HBE and 1,000 island dressing for dinner. Explains why I'm hungry.

I just bought 35 pounds of BBQ smoking wood. Looks like I'll be smoking something tomorrow. Boneless Pork Loin Chops, in fact. :)

BBQ Smoking Wood Chunks

My old supplier started charging $14 for a five pound box of smoking wood. Plus, shipping more than DOUBLED in the past two years since I last ordered. For twenty pounds of smoking wood, he wanted nearly $50 for shipping alone!!! That's just under $100 for twenty pounds for smoking wood. Ridiculous!

So, when Home Depot online store had a deal for five pound bags of wood smoking chunks for $5.99 each, I just couldn't pass it up. And, if I bought $45 worth, FREE SHIPPING!!! I can't pass up a deal like that, so I didn't. So, I got 35 pounds of smoking wood, and some other items, for just over $45! I saved $77 in shipping costs on this order alone! :D

#859 ·
A customer of mine just gave me three pieces of branch from an old apple tree they cut down, They are 24" long and 4" in diameter. I'll be chipping them for the smoker real soon. I have a lot of hickory chips from a seasonal clearance sale at Home Depot a couple of years ago. I think the 5# bags were something like $2 or $2.50 each. I bought all 12 bags that were on the table.:p

#860 ·
Applewood Smoked Boneless Pork Loin Chops

#861 ·
Completed dinner.

#866 ·
I usually use hickory or mesquite for smoking. I seem to get more skin over with the hickory. How is the apple ? I'd like to try it but thought i'd ask first. A beef roast and then i use my slicer for mmm good lunch meat.

#868 ·
I usually use hickory or mesquite for smoking. I seem to get more skin over with the hickory. How is the apple ? I'd like to try it but thought i'd ask first. A beef roast and then i use my slicer for mmm good lunch meat.
It's a lot lighter in flavor. While I think hickory is strong and pungent and mesquite strong, sharp and bitter, applewood is fruity, light, sweet and rich tasting. Not bad.

#869 ·
It's a lot lighter in flavor. While I think hickory is strong and pungent and mesquite strong, sharp and bitter, applewood is fruity, light, sweet and rich tasting. Not bad.
I use hickory almost exclusively, and have found thta if I only apply smoke for 60-90 minutes MAX, that the smoke flavor is not strong. I actually try to stay at 60 minutes, then the balance of time is slow cooking the meat.

#870 ·
I use hickory almost exclusively, and have found thta if I only apply smoke for 60-90 minutes MAX, that the smoke flavor is not strong. I actually try to stay at 60 minutes, then the balance of time is slow cooking the meat.
I love hickory. Very strong which is why I smoke with it from start to finish. A lot of times I mix it with mesquite. Mesquite is something I wont smoke by itself. Strong but too harsh and bitter to do that.

Had applewood smoked boneless pork loin chops, cheesy potatoes and corn leftovers for dinner.

#871 ·
It's bake sale weekend at church, so I made them 20 loaves of free form, olive oil Italian, and made 4 loves in pans for us. Starter at 0430 and the last pan came out of the oven at 0900. I'll let them cool for a couple of hours then bag and tag them.

#872 ·
My pics aren't as pretty as they once were.....
since I started cooking mostly in the new
Ninja 3n1 cooker, as it's all about one-pot meals.
So, it may not look like it was served in a French
restaurant.....but it sure eats good.
It's just me and MamaOzo, and I always cook
enough for leftovers, so it usually gets put away
all stirred together anyway. The beef stew in the
Ninja is the best I've ever eaten, but since the
beef is floured when browning, it ends up with a
gravy appearance which may not be so pretty....
but it sure EATS !

Last night, made Penne Rigate Pasta with fresh
made Alfredo sauce. [small multi-peppers,
zucchini, carrots, onion, garlic,....]
[alfredo---butter, cream cheese, half&half, parmesan]

Attachments

#875 ·
St. Patty's Day leftovers. Corned beef, mashed potatoes and gravy with grilled cabbage.

#876 ·
DW came home from work with the onset of a cold. Seems everyone at work has been sick sometime in the last couple of weeks, so it was inevitable she would get it. Dinner was French toast made with homemade Italian bread, breakfast sausage and dirty eggs (the egg custard with cinnamon in it).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.