Whats for dinner???

Discussion in 'Ruffit's Domestic & Wild Game Cooking/ Recipe Foru' started by JLA, Jan 10, 2011.

1. JoeV

JoeV Member

Pulled pork sandwiches, red beans & rice and broccoli. Leftovers from the deep...freezer, that is.

[​IMG]
  2. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

Ever wonder why this forum thread has 22,000+ views?

I check this section first when I log on. :)
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2012
  3. ozo

ozo Active Member

JoeV....
    I really need a recipe for sandwich thins
    that stay moist, don't taste like cardboard,
    and don't crumble during use......
    can ya help?
    I do/can grind my own flour.....not quite to 'pastry'
    but am not opposed to even buying some.....if that is
    what it takes.....
    Of course, they need to be sliceable......
  4. ozo

ozo Active Member

What...for more JIF....or another cat from near the dumpster...?
    I am no chef, but I read on the internet....so it's gotta be true....
    if you used a smaller knife for the peanut butter, you would have
    better control.......unless the 'cat' was part of tonight's recipe.....
    jus sayin'......
  5. JoeV

JoeV Member

Without getting into a dissertation on bread baking essentials, here is a great recipe for a moist, well structured bread dough (any of my bread recipes will work as well, and I've made thins from almost every one of these recipes). It is critical to use butter, not margarine, and bread flour, not pastry or all-purpose flour. Bread flour has the protein required for gluten development that equates to good structure. If you grind your own flour, use hard winter wheat, as it has 11-14% protein. The Honey Whole Wheat Recipe will make two loaves of bread or 12 sandwich thins and one loaf of bread.

After the first rise divide the dough in half so it's easier to work with the dough. Divide the dough into 2.2oz. portions and roll them into a ball, then allow to rest for 5 minutes. A simple scale from Harbor Freight Tools is fine for this, and weighing your ingredient (including liquids) insures repeatability of the recipes.

After the rest, begin shaping the balls into a disc, about 5" in diameter. I use a small, 8" rolling pin that is used for making roti bread and tortillas. Take your time rolling in two directions so you don't destroy the gluten structure. They will shape out to rounds, and let them rest for about 5 minutes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I roll out all the rounds on my granite island, and while they are resting I prepare a sheet pan with parchment paper, and dust it with corn meal. The next step is to dock the rounds before placing them on the sheet pan. Docking can be done with a docker or with a fork. If the rounds are not docked to allow heat to escape through the holes, the dough will expand under the skin and you will get large air bubbles under the skin. Pizza shops do this to prevent air bubbles under the crust. Here are some dockers to consider, and you don't need to spend a lot of money. This one is plenty good, but I own this one because I could buy it at a local restaurant supply, and I like to buy pro grade equipment with as much bread as I bake (100-150 leaves annually). Here's what they look like docked and on the sheet pan. Roll the docker from the middle out, then in reverse. Don't worry about too many holes, it's tough to do.

[​IMG]

Once docked and on the pan, cover with a tea towel and allow to rise for 25 minutes. Preheat the oven to 400F at this point.

After the 25 minute rise brush the rounds with egg wash and sprinkle with oatmeal flakes (optional).

[​IMG]

Pop them in the oven for 13 minutes, or until the tops turn golden brown. Immediately remove from the sheet pan and put on cooling racks to cool. If left in the pan they will overbake and dry out. Get them out ASAP.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once cooled, you can slice the thins, bag them and put them in the freezer. They will keep just fine in the freezer for 2 weeks, and 15-17 seconds in the microwave will give you a fresh sandwich thin.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry if I overwhelmed you with detail, but if you follow the plan you will have great, flavorful sandwich thins. They don't really take a lot of time to make, but it takes awhile to explain it. I really need to make a YouTube video of this process, because I get a lot of requests just like yours. Maybe this is the kick in the pants I need to do it. LOL

ENJOY!!
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  6. ozo

ozo Active Member

Damn Joe.....
    I don't know what to say.....and me speechless is.....rare at best.
    I did not expect you to go to such length......and I can not convey
    how much I appreciate it.
    I am no baker.....but I have been baking dough for many decades...
    and not afraid to experiment either.....
    I am a 'from scratch' kinda guy....I would not know how to use a
    bread machine with a bag of pre-mix.....or whatever it is....
    my Grandmother would surely emerge from the grave.....
    and beat my ass with a corn straw broom until I bled.....
    for even 'thinking' of such a thing !!!
    That being said, and please remember I am overwhelmed with your reply.....
    I pretty much adhere to all you have so graciously offered......winter wheat,
    bread flour grind, [margarine?????What's that !!!] butter, dough rest,...etc.
    BUT, and you are gonna smack me for this.......
    I have two dockers.....one with individual plastic[nylon?] wheels and one
    with stainless fingers......EEK !
    They are always in the way in the drawer......I have to move them constantly
    to get to my daily stuff......pastry brushes, spatulas, whisks,...etc............
    and NEVER use them on my Thins........
    How have I missed that ???? Funny, maybe, but possibly a sin !
    No wonder my thins are never right. I use them on my other 'flat' breads.....
    DUH !!
    Joe.....again...thank you.
  7. JoeV

JoeV Member

TWO DOCKERS??? I'm floored. Most people come back with the "deer in the headlights" response when i mention dockers, and I've finally found someone with more than I have (and I have a lot of "stuff). Back on point ,if you don't dock the dough you end up with pita pockets that have a tissue paper thin top cap, which nobody likes...except for maybe someone in a third world country. From what you describe, you probably created those already.

I'll reiterate that any good bread dough recipe can be used to make thins. I love the rye ones for corned beef and ham sandwiches. Try one or two of my recipes and let me know what you think of them. Oh, and be sure to post some pics of your first successful sandwich thins.

I noticed where you're from, and it reminded me of a trout fishing trip I made back in Feb '09 to Tullahoma. My most significant accomplishment was feeding a dozen crazy hunters/fisherman with some Yankee baking. they still talk about the great Italian bread I made for them.

[​IMG]

Oh, I also caught a nap in the sunshine on the Duck river. Something I never expected to do in FEBRUARY in Tennessee.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Happy Thanksgiving.
  8. Silencer

Silencer Well-Known Member

Thanksgiving Day Appetizers and Meal.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  9. cycloneman

cycloneman Active Member

Tonight fried oysters

Picked up 1/2 gal and a loaf of french bread.
  10. cycloneman

cycloneman Active Member

Looks purdy neat. What is that egg stuffed with?
  11. Silencer

It's just a hard boiled egg wrapped in Farmer John breakfast sausage with chopped jalapeno. Smoked for about two hours. Smokey, salty, fatty, spicy, creamy-eggy goodness!!! It's called a Smoked Jalapeno Scotch Egg.
  12. JoeV

JoeV Member

My wife has been with our daughter for the past week helping with the new baby, so I spent yesterday playing in the kitchen. I made a dozen Italian sandwich thins, a loaf of Italian twist bread, 5 dozen 4-cheese raviolis and 5 quarts of marinara sauce. I even had enough ravioli dough left over to make enough pasta for a little dinner for myself.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

13. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Congratulations on the new grandchild. :)

Nice looking food, too.
  14. JoeV

JoeV Member

Thanks, Black Eagle.

Tonight was another beef & vegetable stir fry with vegetable fried rice and a tossed salad of Romain hearts and a bunch of salad fixins.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. Silencer

Just had a late dinner. I had a turkey salad. Baby lettuces (baby green romaine lettuce and red romaine lettuce, tango lettuce, baby green oak lettuce and red oak lettuce, lolla rosa, baby green leaf lettuce and red leaf lettuce, baby green butter lettuce and red butter lettuce), baby greens (red swiss chard, mizuna, tatsoi, baby leaf spinach, arugula), frisee and raddichio with red beans, garbanzo beans, HBE x 2, smoked turkey breast, bacon, homemade pickled jalapenos and 1,000 island dressing along side a large piece of corn bread which was from Thanksgiving Day. It was either eat it, or give it to the dog.

[​IMG]
  16. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

Tonight is homemade Swedish meatballs...
  17. cycloneman

cycloneman Active Member

Marie Chandlers frozen delight. eh
  18. JoeV

JoeV Member

Sure been going through the bread lately. Santa told me to double the recipe for thins and loaves, so I did what she said.

[​IMG]
  19. JoeV

JoeV Member

Tonight we had grilled chicken breast that was marinated in Wishbone Italian dressing. Sides were baked spaghetti squash with butter & brown sugar, sweet coleslaw and Spanish rice made with mild salsa and turkey stock made from the Thanksgiving turkey carcass. Kind of an eclectic mix, but it was really good

[​IMG]

This is how good it was...

[​IMG]
  20. JoeV

JoeV Member

Shredded beef au jus, skin-on mashed potatoes and broccoli-cauliflower medley. Comfort food dinner.

[​IMG]