Whats for dinner???

Discussion in 'Ruffit's Domestic & Wild Game Cooking/ Recipe Foru' started by JLA, Jan 10, 2011.

1. JoeV

JoeV Member

JLA, I'm not here to compete with anyone. I just love to cook & bake bread, and also enjoy photography, and it's too darn cold and snowy in NE Ohio to do much else. I've reloaded enough ammo for a couple months of shooting once it gets nice enough to get to the outdoor range, so I fill the rest of my time (when not working) by spending time in the kitchen.

Joe

Hey, Silencer. Nice pics. What kind of fish did you bake? It looks good. And who doesn't like bacon or fillet? That fillet is done perfect!
  2. Roadkil

Roadkil New Member

Grilled venison cheddar roll (fancy name for a meatloaf:D). Made it last night.

I used regular cheddar and some apple wood smoked cheddar.

Sliced it and placed it on a roll with lettuce, sliced tomato, sliced red onion. Had a grilled sweet tater and homemade coleslaw with apple cider vinegar dressing.
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  3. Silencer

Silencer Well-Known Member

The fish was tilapia. It's one of only a few types of fish we eat due to 'picky eaters.' :)

And yes, the fillet was cooked to perfection. However, others claimed it was too undercooked at another web forum I go to. I've lost all my respect for them. :D
  4. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

I am ready for corned beef and cabbage, have u got good recipe
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

undercooked?? Knock its horns off, wipe its @$$ and knock it over on a plate.. That's the way it should always be done.

My dad is terrible about ruining a perfectly good slab of beef with excessive application of heat. one time, we invited my folks over for steaks. I was cooking them fresh off the grill. My dads steak went on first and was the very last to come off. When it was time to plate his I had beck dump a bag of Jerky out on his plate beside his baked tater. He didn't think it was that funny. But we did.

Silencer, those filet slices look delicious.
  6. JoeV

JoeV Member

Chicken stew and dumplings. Just the thing for a cold March day.

[​IMG]
  7. hstout1143

hstout1143 Well-Known Member

Man Joe, everyone of your creations looks delicious!
  8. Silencer

:lmao2:

And they were! Best steak I've had in a long time. Glad I took a pic of it. I almost lost all control when it was done and skipped doing that just to dive right in. :D

Chicken and dumplings! That looks great, Joe. Haven't had that in a few years. It's time I make that again.
  9. JoeV

JoeV Member

Thanks. It was really a simple meal to make, and even easier to eat.:p The wife is gong out with her sisters tomorrow to celebrate one of their birthdays, so I will have the chicken and dumplings that are left over for dinner again.
  10. Silencer

It was cold and raining. Perfect weather for some beef stew and cornbread.

[​IMG]
  11. JoeV

JoeV Member

Are you sure we're not brothers from different mothers??? :p:p Sure looks good. As a kid, my mother would make polenta to go with beef stew that she called "goulash." Then the next day we would have fried polenta for breakfast.

I had a taste for Italian sausage this week, so I pulled out a 8-1/2# pork butt and whipped these guys up. Ground and seasoned last night, and packaged today.

[​IMG]
  12. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

corned beef and cabbage tonight
  13. JoeV

JoeV Member

Needed to clean out the vegetable drawer. Pasta Primavera with grilled chicken breast.

[​IMG]
  14. Silencer

Maybe! I don't know how much my father messed around before meeting my mom! :D

Goulash on this side of the country is macaroni with chopped tomatoes, ground beef and spices. But, I understand what some call 'goulash' is beef stew for the rest of us.

Why do beef stew leftovers always taste better?

Beef Stew and Cornbread Leftovers
    [​IMG]
  15. JoeV

JoeV Member

DD called and wanted to join us for dinner and asked for chicken. I said yes, even though we just had it last night on the pasta primavera, and told her to get some peppers and an onion and I would make chicken kabobs. Also threw together some fried taters and DW made one of her great salads. Fresh chocolate chip cookies for dessert.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  16. Roadkil

Roadkil New Member

Grilled bean and franks casserole with a cornbread topping.
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  17. JoeV

JoeV Member

Pan fried pork shoulder steak, baked beans and fresh cut American fries.

[​IMG]
  18. Silencer

The last two posts are making me hungry! Great work, gentlemen!

Had a salami sandwich for brunch. Spinach and spring salad with kidney, garbanzo beans, HBE and 1,000 island dressing for dinner. Explains why I'm hungry.

I just bought 35 pounds of BBQ smoking wood. Looks like I'll be smoking something tomorrow. Boneless Pork Loin Chops, in fact. :)

BBQ Smoking Wood Chunks

My old supplier started charging $14 for a five pound box of smoking wood. Plus, shipping more than DOUBLED in the past two years since I last ordered. For twenty pounds of smoking wood, he wanted nearly $50 for shipping alone!!! That's just under $100 for twenty pounds for smoking wood. Ridiculous!

So, when Home Depot online store had a deal for five pound bags of wood smoking chunks for $5.99 each, I just couldn't pass it up. And, if I bought $45 worth, FREE SHIPPING!!! I can't pass up a deal like that, so I didn't. So, I got 35 pounds of smoking wood, and some other items, for just over $45! I saved $77 in shipping costs on this order alone! :D

[​IMG]
  19. JoeV

JoeV Member

A customer of mine just gave me three pieces of branch from an old apple tree they cut down, They are 24" long and 4" in diameter. I'll be chipping them for the smoker real soon. I have a lot of hickory chips from a seasonal clearance sale at Home Depot a couple of years ago. I think the 5# bags were something like $2 or $2.50 each. I bought all 12 bags that were on the table.:p
  20. Silencer

Applewood Smoked Boneless Pork Loin Chops

[​IMG]