Whats for dinner???

Discussion in 'Ruffit's Domestic & Wild Game Cooking/ Recipe Foru' started by JLA, Jan 10, 2011.

1. big steve

big steve New Member

Wow all this food looks amazing everybody
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Nice clinger. I love Porkloin, especially smoked, And with the ribs still attached is even better.
    gdmoody likes this.
  3. Woodnut

Woodnut Forum Sponsor Supporting Member

I know that is as good as it looks, finger smaking, lip liking, slap ya mama good. Sure does make me hongry. I may have to cook me up some ribs this week end.

Clinger, good camera job too. I know it makes everybody hungry.
  4. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

Good one, and fast too!
    Last edited: May 15, 2011
  5. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Well Beth, the next time you are in my neck of the woods, give me a ring and I can put something good on the smoker.
    Double D, Just got done the second day leftovers and it was almost as good as yesterday. Still got some left for tomorrow or maybe I could donate it to TFF for the May drawing!:D
  6. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

how far are u from Holiday
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Interestingly enough. Briskets are fantastic done this way. Usually when i fire the smoker up Ill buy enough brisket to fill it. Why waste the wood right?

I cook my briskets for 18 hours on average. the first 5 or so is spent bare on the smoker rolling along at about 300 degrees. then I wrap them with 3-4 layers of heavy duty foil and finish them either in the smoker at 225 or in the oven at 225 for the remainder of the time. When they come off the smoker to be wrapped is when I freeze them if they arent going to be eaten 13 hours later. In essence they are still raw in the middle so you wont dry them out cooking them again. But a week or a month later if we want brisket I just pop them in the oven at 225 over night and wake up to nice tender smoked brisket like it just came off the smoker.
    gdmoody likes this.
  8. TheGunClinger

About 2.5 hours or so. I'm in Cape Coral, next to Ft. Myers, 25 miles south of my gun range at Cecil Webb Wildlife santuary.
  9. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Another good tip for ANYTHING you smoke, is to 'sweat it' in an ice chest for a couple hours before eating it. Beck and I have a cooler just for this purpose. we call it the meat chest or hot box and its a brisket stained blue cooler that hold the hot smoked meat while it SLOWLY cools to serving temp. Sweating in a hot box makes the meat more tender and juicy.
    gdmoody likes this.
  10. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

why don't any of u guys do any of the smokin contest?
  11. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Not alot of time for it. You have to travel to be competitive in those cookoffs. And I work for a 24/7 business and also run my Gunsmithing on the side. The only times I really run that smoker are TFF TX meets and 4th of July. the wife runs it the rest of the time.
    gdmoody likes this.
  12. TheGunClinger

I just like to eat what I smoke/cook. You can never please everybody so I dont do the competitions. I mean...some people like squid!! Bleah!!:eek: I use those as bait. Caught many a grouper in the Gulfa Mexico using squid as bait. To this day I cant eat one and wouldnt cook one.
  13. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

I love squid.

I must agree with JLA on the 'holding' aspect of true BBQ.

The whole concept is 'low and slow'. Don't matter what yer meat is (barring fish). Ya gotta do it slow. It permeates the smoke flavor and mixes it with the seasoning.

4 hooved meat has 'connective' tissues that need to be broken down. Fast and high doesn't work. Cept for some finer cuts. If it's got any fat to it, it takes heat and time. Part of the 'time' takes place in the box.

Smoke it up and wrap it up. Give it a couple more hours in the locker that has been appropriately outfitted. Spend that time on creating the sides.

Maybe we should start a new thread?:eek:
  14. Silencer

Silencer Well-Known Member

Yesterday, the wife wanted this for mother's day...

Round Table King Arthur Supreme and a double chocolate Magnum.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tonight, I'm having one of these...

[​IMG]
  15. Woodnut

Woodnut Forum Sponsor Supporting Member

DANG !!!!!!!!!!!! How in the world are ya'll making those awesome pictures? Let me in on the secret.
    That's some good looking chow, and some great tips for cooking. Maybe we do need a cooking thread, Huh?