What's going on in America ???

Discussion in 'The Fire For Effect and Totally Politically Incorr' started by AR guy, Nov 21, 2012.

1. GunHugger

GunHugger Well-Known Member

My small town local Post Office has always flown the US flag for as long as I can remember. A few years ago I mentioned to the Post Master (Cindy) that the flag was looking ragged. Cindy told me that they would not supply the PO with US flags anymore.

I have bought two flags so far for her to raise every morning. She says she will buy the next one and continue to fly the flag.
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
  2. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

I don't mind them doing things in Spanish. My grandpa on my mom's side spoke Greek and very little English. Dad's grandparents could speak Sicilian Italian and not very much English. It would have been nice if things were done in their language as well so it was easier for them to understand, but if they wanted a job, or to be part of society, they also had to learn how to fluently speak English.

I don't mind things are done in a second language as long as it doesn't burden the rest of society too. Like with teaching it in schools along with English. I actually wouldn't mind trying to learn languages like Chinese or Japanese cause then I can talk to Chinese and Japanese women in their native languages lol.

Just be thankful they are still doing the Christmas tree countdown, and calling it Christmas.
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
  3. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

hogger129 said:

"I don't mind things are done in a second language as long as it doesn't burden the rest of society too. Like with teaching it in schools along with English."

So if the teacher has a double load (teach the English speaking students in English then stop, and teach the same thing in Spanish for the Spanish speaking students) aren' t both getting half the education?

So they make two class, aren't we getting cheated in the use of our taxes for school with redundant teaching of the same subject matter?

Studies have shown that Spanish speaking students with little English skills do better in school when '"immersed" in English and not segregated into a Spanish only classroom. In California they force the teachers to be bilingual. When I worked in private industry I did not have to be bilingual when a large percentage of my coworkers were Asian. They all spoke English, albeit some in halting English but English that was discernible. Two of my Asian friends were brought to America as schoolage children with no English skills but spoke perfect English in our workplace. No one made special language learning available to them. They did it themselves and became part of America and not a separate part of American life.

This is America where the historical language by usage is English. If you want to live here and be an "American" then learn English, as three of my grandparents did on their way to citizenship. Is English too good for some Hispanics, those that use America as a source of income to send back to Mexico? "When in Rome, do as the Romans" was said by a very smart person centuries ago and it still applies today.

LDBennett
  4. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Since 1848 the U.S.A. has slowly been altered, and remade into the U.S.S.A.
  5. ShawnDow

ShawnDow Member

Bi-lingual... I work in aviation .. and our major "rule book" the FAR's are written in English.. and in chapter 65

§ 65.71 Eligibility requirements: General.
    (a) To be eligible for a mechanic certificate and associated ratings, a person must—

(1) Be at least 18 years of age;

(2) Be able to read, write, speak, and understand the English language, or in the case of an applicant who does not meet this requirement and who is employed outside of the United States by a U.S. air carrier, have his certificate endorsed “Valid only outside the United States”;

#2 is where its at! And when I get foreign contractors talking to me in their language.. I hold my hand up to my ear and say repeat that.. I only understand english! (be-it that i do have some idea of what they actually said).. Now, i'm just waiting for the FAA to rewrite the FAR's in a second language...
  6. LDBennett

A friend runs a shop that repairs municipal buses for a large company (a French company no less). All the mechanics are Hispanic and mostly from Mexico. He was brought in to get the shop back on track. He had no problem with communication with the mechanics until his new boss, a Hispanic, arrived. Then all of a sudden the mechanics could no longer understand English. When he complained to the new boss his response was that boss's father didn't speak English and my friend had to have a little compassion for his workers. So he went to employee relations and that person was also Hispanic and offered nor wanted to offer any solutions. Then the new boss started finding and inventing problems with my friend.

It is my opinion the new boss is trying to get my friend replaced with a Hispanic boss. This is part of the not "assimilating" or being part of the "melting pot" and speaking English I think is key.

I think Hispanics can be beautiful people in all ways but if they don't assimilate into the American society we are all doomed as they are probably the fastest growing part of of our population. Creating two or more Americas will not work.

LDBennett
  7. langenc

langenc Member

The only thin American about the USPS is some workers and the billions taxpayers subsidize to the orgn every year.
  8. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

I guess maybe I didn't make my point very clear. What I mean is I don't have a problem with these people speaking their native languages, as long as they are willing to learn English too. Forcing teachers to be bilingual burdens everybody else because like you said - now the teacher has to do twice the work in order to teach those students too.
  9. cheesewiz

cheesewiz Member

Very well said .......Ditto :rolleyes:
  10. Jerryboy

Jerryboy Well-Known Member

why 1848?
  11. cutter

cutter New Member

Through out the world english is the buisness language. Even in little villages in Kenya people could speak english enough to get by. If people there wanted to work they had to speak english. It makes my blood boil when I hear things like this. I can't say anymore, I am getting too MAD.
  12. Shootinblanks

Shootinblanks New Member

This lady expresses my sentiments better than I can... I welcome anyone coming to my country, but please don't try to make it into the country you just left, don't forget the reason you left it in the first place. We have a great country here full of 300+ million people whocame here because it was better than the place they were. We speak English and if you want to fit in you will need to learn it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=CA&v=sEJfS1v-fU0
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2012
  13. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

People that call whites Anglo as a derogatory term aren't likely to think speaking English is all that important.
  14. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Right on. When I was living in Texas it was becoming increasingly more frequent that employers required new hires, especially supervisors, to be bilingual. This is America and I'm American, if we have a communication problem the burden of learning a new language should fall on your shoulders not mine. Hell, if I decided to move to a foreign country I'd be spending time trying to learn that countries native tongue before I made the move.

And I agree, I've known some fine Mexican and Puerto Rican people. Yeah some are a bunch of low lifes, but that's found with every nationality. I'm all for welcoming them here, IF, they come here legally AND are willing to assimilate.

I totally reject the notion that you're a racist if you don't want any fast track to citizenship for wetbacks. In fact I believe we should post signs on the border that state if you cross illegally you will forever forfeit the opportunity to become a U.S. citizen.
  15. LDBennett

Three of my four grandparents stood in line to come to America. They learned English and became American citizens. So, some Hispanics just want to crowd to the front of the line (illegally, no less) and skip all the steps to be an American. Some work here and earn American dollars and send it back to Mexico or some other Hispanic country. That does not help America financially at all. In fact, money from these illegals sent back to Mexico is a part of the Gross Domestic Product (GDP) of Mexico (over 2% and about 10th overall, above tourism). I find all that very repulsive.

Then there are the ones that entered the United States illegally with their kids. Now Obama, and the progressive liberals, want and has given those kids a free pass. They also entered illegally and need to return with their parents and do it right. Those born here of illegals should not be given a free ride to citizenship. They are of illegals and should also be returned and stand in line (but of course a loop hole in the citizenship laws allow them citizenship). So it matters not how you achieve a goal but just that you did?

But the facts are that the politicians are going to give away American citizenship and the right to enter the USA illegally will no longer be a crime. If enough of us start robbing banks maybe they will let us keep the money and give us amnesty too. I can't wait.

Mexico is the "devil at our door", with its drugs and drug gangs, corruption at all levels of government and society, and two tiered society (rich and poor). So the poor escape to America illegally, send our money back to Mexico, use up our social safety nets (entitlements), and complain that they want amnesty from their illegal deeds. And guess what...They'll get it all under Obama and the progressive liberals!

It is all revolting to me. Fortunately I'll not live long enough to see the damage done but my kids and their kids most certainly will. DARN! This is not what I wanted for them.

LDBennett
  16. GunnyGene

GunnyGene New Member

I've read from time to time that the goal is N. American citizenship. Very much like the EU did (which may or may not survive as such). Such a thing can take a long time and is done is small steps like we've seen for several decades. The problem is who's system of governance and cultural values will be the model for the consolidation? The EU was first proposed right after WWII (1951) with the Treaty of Paris, and has an interesting history since then.

We can see similar steps in N. America with regard to Free Trade, Immigration, etc. since the '60's.

I, like you and many others, don't like this but it would seem to be inevitable.

Similar things are going on in other parts of the world also. Asia, Africa, S. America all have varying degrees of consolidation being implemented thru trade and travel treaties and so forth. It's being driven by population growth, competition for energy and other resources, political power, etc.
  17. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

This IS the agenda, and yes I'm afraid it's a freight train that we can't stop.
  18. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Welcome to the forum, Shootinblanks. You have found a great place to hang out. Lots of friendly people here who like a good chat, a good laugh, and to talk about politics and guns and to help each other out. Time goes fast here and the place can become addicting, so be careful.

Thanks for the post. What you said...+1
  19. whizzer

whizzer New Member

]This country was founded on belief in God and freedom , english language. Any one that comes to this country should be required to speek english. and be proud of it. If any one does not like [ this once was a good country] shoild leave. We the people are to blame by letting things go wrong. Being a vet. we need to hang our head and pray to God to help us straighten this country out.Our grand children will ask why did our fathers let this happen to their country. Why fight for freedem for another country and lose ours here?
  20. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

Not many Mexicans in Alaska. I did have one kid in school in the MatSu; his Dad came to USA in late 70's. His Dad worked his way up, had his own construction business, did quite well. The boy raced snowmachines, was as much an American as any of us. I suppose it is much different across much of the USA though.

Funny thing, the local Indians somewhat view us Whites as aliens in their land, ha ha. Trouble is we are slowly displacing them.