Whats it worth? Colt D.A. 41

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by PhilCA, Oct 16, 2007.

1. PhilCA

PhilCA New Member

Friend of mine gave me an old Colt D.A. 41 that he tried to clean up. Its Nickle and pitted. He Polished part of the barrel and nearly rubbed off the 'Colt 41 DA'. Unfortunately he passed away before I could really question him about it. The Grips are intact, but have some bruises.
    Numbers on the bottom of the frameand in front of trigger '63668', Pat. sept 19, 1871,sept 15 ''74, Sept 18,''75.
    I am willing to answer any other questions to assist in placing a value on this.
    Thanks
    Phil

Attached Files:

2. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

Colt, 1877 Lightning (Thunderer) 1877-1907

$700-800
  3. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi Phil.....welcome to TFF.

Your Colt Model 1877 "Thunderer" was made in 1888.

A couple of questions....does the double action still work? And what's the inside of the barrel look like?

Unfortunately, your friend's polishing job has hurt the value of this revolver.....and....there's the question if this gun left the factory with nickle plating or if it's an aftermarket job. The only way to find out is by obtaining a Colt Historical Archive Letter: http://www.coltsmfg.com/cmci/historical.asp .......which will cost $100.

22WRF's value is about right. If it originally left the factory with nickle plating the value might be a bit higher. If it's an aftermarket plating job, I might value it (in it's present condition) a bit lower than 22WRF.....maybe about $600-700.
  4. PhilCA

PhilCA New Member

The inside of the barrel appears intact and clean. The Double Action works just fine.
  5. PhilCA

PhilCA New Member

Is there no other way to tell if the plating is original?
  6. Little Rooster

Little Rooster New Member

These guns are without faults are rare. I'd have to agre on the Value unless getting a letter produces some history

Thunderer 40 cal and larger

Lightening smaller bore .38 etc.