What's my Charles Daly shotgun worth?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by honeygramz42, Jun 26, 2011.

1. honeygramz42

honeygramz42 New Member

I have a Charles Daly single barrel shotgun, 24" barrel, 12 guage. I'm not sure if this is a model # but it has KBI-HBG,PA Made in Turkey on one side and Charles Daly Field MM12 GA-3 1/2" on the other side. It is painted all Advantage Camo. It has an extended choke tube with vented barrel. This gun is practically brand new. I won it from a raffle and took about 4 shots with it to test and found it kicked too much for me. Can some please help me to find out how much this gun is worth?
  2. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Honeygramz,
    Welcome to the forum.
    KBI-HBG, PA (Krasner Brothers, Inc. - Harrisburg, PA) was the importer of "Charles Daly" branded, foreign made firearms of all types. Your shotguns sounds to be a "turkey" (not the country - the bird) gun, with the mid length barrel, extended choke tube, camoflage treatment and a 3 1/2" chambering. Vented barrel - ports cut into the barrel near the end? -or raised, ventilated rib on top of barrel?
    You can shoot 2 3/4", 3" or 3 1/2" shells through that gun and change the choke tubes from Cylinder (most open) all the way to XXFull Turkey - the gun is actually pretty flexible and adaptable to a variety of uses.
    If you have the original box, papers, instructions, etc. - I would think you could sell that piece on a private sale for $175 - $200. Selling to a dealer well you'd be offered about 60% - maybe $100-120.
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2011
  3. honeygramz42

honeygramz42 New Member

Thank you for the info Jim. The vented barrel is not raised, it just has the holes(vents) cut into the barrel toward the end. Yes you could shoot both size shells. The gun never came with any papers, box or anything. I won the gun from a raffle and it didn't come with any of these things. I was just handed the gun. I had thought that this gun would be worth more. I had taken it to Cabellas for appraisal and possible sale and they only offered me $150, I refused the offer. I saw a few others similar(but not exact) to this one on their used gun racks for $300. I understand that they have to make money too but they are not making that much off my gun from me.
  4. honeygramz42

honeygramz42 New Member

Jim, I just took notice that you may not be too far from me. Would you be interested in buying this gun from me? If so what would you offer me for it?
  5. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

honeygramz,
    I appreciate the offer, but I currently own more shotguns than I can ever use, including single shots. I'm somewhat surprised, but also happy for you - that the RETAIL value seems higher than I thought! Perhaps the camo adds some value??? also the PORTED barrel.
    Take your gun to a local gun show with a for sale sign on it and take the first $225 you are offered. LOL. Good luck.
  6. honeygramz42

honeygramz42 New Member

Thanks again for the info Jim. I would do that at a gun show but don't you have to rent a table space to sell any guns at these shows? I only have the one gun for sale right now. I am not a dealer. Can you let me know of any upcoming gun shows in the area of NE PA?
  7. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

You do not need a table - many folks bring personal firearms in and "walk them around". Long guns you can sell, LEGALLY, face-to-face in PA; however, handguns must be transferred through a Federally Licensed dealer.
    Watch for adds for the Eagle Arms Productions show at SPLIT ROCK LODGE, Lake Harmony. I think it's in July??? That's a big one with a good attendance. It's held in the large open area next to the water park. Can't think of what the heck they call it.
  8. honeygramz42

honeygramz42 New Member

Thanks again Jim. I did already know that long guns don't have to be transfered in PA. I didn't know that you could just walk around with the firearm and a "for sale" sign on it. If I don't sell this gun beforehand I will have too look into the gun shows and try that. Split Rock is a bit far, but I'll check that Eagle Arms pub. Can you check that online or is it like a newspaper you have to subscribe to?
  9. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Eagle Arms is located in Breinigsville PA along Rt 222. They have a web site:
    www.eaglearms.com

Here's their scheduled gunshows (the ones they promote) for the next couple months:
    July 23 & 24 - Allentown Rodeway Inn - Rt 309 & rt 22
    August 13 & 14 Split Rock Lodge
    August 20 & 21 Wind Gap
    August 26 & 27 Greater Phila Expo Center at Oaks. (off of Rt 202)

These are good shows with lots of GOOD dealers. I know quite a few of the dealers as I used to work for Eagle Arms. I was the shop "counter monkey"...as I called myself. I had quite a following and made a bunch of good friends working there. I treated people the same as I wanted to be treated - except for the occasional a$$h.les - but those are a bunch of other stories.